What's new

Polarity on HIDs?

stonewall

Not so much for operation, but the standard is black to the center pin white to the screw shell. If the ballast has an ignitor it should follow the diagram.

clowntown

Veteran
One more question:

By looking at the screws, I can't quite tell which screw goes to the shell and which goes to the center spring. One screw is brass colored, the other is nickel colored. Is that just a mix-up, or do those colors mean anything?

There are no markings, and are placed symmetrically on the back of the socket.

stonewall

What size HID? the socket is rated for the proper Kv?

I would have figured the screws would both be high temp nickel plated. But brass/gold is usually black and chrome/nickel is usually white in non-temp dependent applications.

I'll go ahead and give another 'you got it'- the bronze screw goes to the "hot" or "live" - the silver to the neutral. And the live connection is the one in the bottom middle of the socket. If you can't tell, use a multi meter, cause it does matter.

Anyway, thats already been said, just wanted to agree.

GWG

G

The polarity configuration of a lamp is based totally on personnel safety.The hot connection or nipple is normally too deep in the lampholder and too far out of reach to be of any electrical danger to personnel.The "screwshell" or ribbed metal holder that the lamp threads into is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor and poses no electrical risk if it comes into conatct with personnel.Could you imagine if the polarity were accidentally reversed due to an idiot with some hand tools?You unscrew the lamp,barely touch the screwshell,and become part of a circuit that may have mucho loads OGODOUCHEDIT Unicorn I fogot to mention man I have more respect for you than most and what youre doing is probably making perfect sense and its over my head tonight.You're always trying to help constantly people appreciate that.Lets just hope between us we dont freak this guy out and scare him away from smoking pot forever lolEDIT AW fuck wrong thread unicorn I'm givin it up this aint happenin anyway

Last edited:

mtnjohn

Veteran
why are you peeps answering a thread from 2 months ago?
my god...i'm sure he's taken care of it by now...hahaha
y'all ..lol
mj

G

Yea haha,not everone really understands lamps,lampholders and how and why they are wired up a certain way.You can let the smoke out of yourself if you dont understand basic shit like that,and I really am one of those commited people lately finding myself real confused about the whole concept of MJ forums.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
I wish I had found this thread a week ago! I might not have blown out a digital ballast.

I never see a problem with bringing back (necro'ing) old threads if the info in it is good.

G

I didnt know it was old really haha,its just good to know about lampholders polarity usually doesnt matter in that the lamp may light,but as far as safety goes you need to understand how they operate.I'm sure most folks do,some probably dont and know now.

G

I commonly conceal word like doodoo and poopie in many of my threads,its just something I do....