What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Maxx and Gravity

H

Habibi

has anybody used purple maxx, or gravity (or both) on their outdoor crops? an experienced grower from weedtracker said they work well, he grows indoors though. does anyone have any personal reviews or pictures of this stuff in action on outdoor plants?

GanjaJedi

df

df

I would like to first say my initial impressions of the product where that it was over hyped and another flashy bottled nutrient. The company "emerald triangle" heavily plays up its "humboldt county image" as some sort of elite nutrient only the growers in the hills use. I think this is more or less just another overpriced bottled nutrient such as advanced nutrients. The stuffs made by the guys at eel river hydroponics outside of fortuna in humboldt county. From their claims the stuff has gone through multiple changes in the formula and from what they have to say about their purple maxx stuff. It doesn't really seem like they know what they did to make it purple plus they say only some growers were getting that result? Personaly i think its just another hype formula. Ive talked to someone who used the stuff and they said it burned their plants and it was crap. Im still divided on this one, i havent talked to enough people who have used it and i still dont understand whats in the stuff? Possibly someone else in the community could shed some more light on this stuff.

G

I am sure the search button could yield a thread. I know this has been talked about before. Even had a post breaking down how to make your own I believe. But I dunno. I like my nute program.

MMZRetro85

GanjaJedi said:
I think this is more or less just another overpriced bottled nutrient such as advanced nutrients.

Yes but they sure can throw one hell of a party.

About Humbolts own, the gravity, purple maxx, and bushmaster,
gravity being a flower hardener where it says use in the last 2 weeks, and says to raise your lights 6-12 inches for some reason unknown to me, havnt screwed around with it personally, the bushmaster making it not grow vertical as much i guess, keeps em more short and stocky, and finally the purple maxx, actaully doesnt promote color changes in your flowers, but more of a crystal production, its actually called purple max snow storm. for the price might as well try fox farms cha ching for half the price

GanjaJedi said:
I would like to first say my initial impressions of the product where that it was over hyped and another flashy bottled nutrient. The company "emerald triangle" heavily plays up its "humboldt county image" as some sort of elite nutrient only the growers in the hills use. I think this is more or less just another overpriced bottled nutrient such as advanced nutrients. The stuffs made by the guys at eel river hydroponics outside of fortuna in humboldt county. From their claims the stuff has gone through multiple changes in the formula and from what they have to say about their purple maxx stuff. It doesn't really seem like they know what they did to make it purple plus they say only some growers were getting that result? Personaly i think its just another hype formula. Ive talked to someone who used the stuff and they said it burned their plants and it was crap. Im still divided on this one, i havent talked to enough people who have used it and i still dont understand whats in the stuff? Possibly someone else in the community could shed some more light on this stuff.

i couldnt agree more, i saw a 1 qt bottle priced at 25-30 usd!!

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
snake oil is an expression meaning it's all based on "hoodoo", smoke and mirrors, no real value, you get the idea.

Great first post GJ, totally agree.

The #1 ingredient in alot of these products is molasses, nothing you can't brew yourself really, check the OFC thread for alot of recipies.

If advanced nutrients had spent a fraction of what they spend on marketing and parties towards research into sustaibable fetilizers the world would be better off.

Peace

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ this video is entertaining, but considering most are chemical nutes it's worthless to this sub-section of "organic growing"

I have stated before, even if chemicals could grow tops the size of texas, doesn't matter to me if it's chemical .. I'll take my little top that nature intended it to be

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been using purple maxx for awhile now.The thing that it seems to work the best at, is adding frost.

On plants that are "known" purple plants,after a application or 2 you "can" notice some color change a few days later,it suposedly makes the plant suck up a bunch of nutrients rapidly .

Thats not to say if the same plant ran 80 days it wouldn't turn purple as it is.But it seems to speed up the process..My only grip with the product is that it grows mold after awhile,if not used.Maby needs refridgeration.

H

Habibi

wow this is an old thread

anyway i ended up testing each bottle way back when i did this thread. snake oil pure and simple. purple maxx doesnt do anything in my opinion. gravity cause severe leaf drop, and after that i didnt fuck with either bottle again. gravity has to be dosed just right if i remember correct, any more then it says will fuck your crop pretty hard

i prefer my GH regiment, great results

I read that gravity should be used at 1/3 of the directions...

I got a free sample bottle and I think i may test it out on one of my plants,

It's suppose to compact buds and make them dense improving yield, applied 3 weeks before harvest date... I guess i'll have to see for myself.

knowboddy

^ this video is entertaining, but considering most are chemical nutes it's worthless to this sub-section of "organic growing"

I have stated before, even if chemicals could grow tops the size of texas, doesn't matter to me if it's chemical .. I'll take my little top that nature intended it to be

Advanced Nutrients makes really good organic stuff too. I bet if some company answered the challenge but counter-challenged to go 100% organic Big Mike would take them up on it. He seems to want to "grow fight" really bad, so I imagine the other guy could make some stipulations of his own and get him to agree to them.

wow this is an old thread

anyway i ended up testing each bottle way back when i did this thread. snake oil pure and simple. purple maxx doesnt do anything in my opinion. gravity cause severe leaf drop, and after that i didnt fuck with either bottle again. gravity has to be dosed just right if i remember correct, any more then it says will fuck your crop pretty hard

i prefer my GH regiment, great results

I would have to agree, I didn't really see any benefit from either of those myself. Like you said, if Purple Maxx does anything you can't really tell. Gravity made my plants droopy, but I didn't see leaf drop. Whatever the case, I didn't use either of them again.

sophisto

If advanced nutrients had spent a fraction of what they spend on marketing and parties towards research into sustaibable fetilizers the world would be better off.

Peace

I couldnt agree more to this one !!!! I'd like to compost the Ceo's and their advertising staff. I need much bigger compost piles though, know of any land for sale???.....

I read that gravity should be used at 1/3 of the directions...

I got a free sample bottle and I think i may test it out on one of my plants,

It's suppose to compact buds and make them dense improving yield, applied 3 weeks before harvest date... I guess i'll have to see for myself.

you heard right. paid about 30 bucks for it too. it works well, you just have to know how and when to dose that. its very touchy shit. id say dont listen to the directions, apply a little early, in the 1-2mL TOPS range per gal. this will really boost the budding and you may notice a quicker finishing crop. then, i like to peridoically apply it in those same small doses, maybe every other week. you may notice minimal leaf burn/drop with this method. as per the instructions, yea you will get severe dropping.

RipVanWeed

I was given a free sample of the Purple Maxx. I used it on my 1st grow, well under recommended dosage, in a couple of feedings. I have no experience to draw upon, but my White Russians went more purple than I would have expected. Even the Dabney Blueberry colored up.

It says on the bottle that it will increase uptake of available nutes, I thinking it contributed to some claw that developed on the WR.

RipVanWeed

J

JackKerouac

Purple Maxx is amino acids. Gravity is a PK booster. Bushmaster is a paclobutrazol, the growth inhibitor. It is flashy and overpriced.

Commercial Product ...

Commercial Product ...

Bushmaster is a paclobutrazol, the growth inhibitor. It is flashy and overpriced.

Here's some info on a commercial greenhouse product with the same active ingredient:

"BONZI"(Paclobutrazol) "For use on container-grown flower and bedding plants in greenhouses and shadehouses. Reduces internode elongation. Non phytotoxic when used as directed. Single or split applications may be applied. Apply as a spray or a drench. Works well on impatiens, geraniums, pot mums, pot freesias and hibiscus ( Fla. only ). Spray solutions are applied at the rate of 1 gallon per 200 sq. ft. of bench space. Drench application are applied at the rate .125-.25mg per pot. For foliar spray application, BONZI should be mixed with water to produce a final spray volume of 2 quarts/100 sq. ft. of bench space and sprayed uniformly across the area."

It's not exactly inexpensive ... $145 US per Quart.

Half-assed hormone hoo-doo can screw things up very quickly, so if you're going to try it, make sure it's on a "test" basis that won't threaten the rest of the grow. Hydro growers seem particularly susceptible to these products.

azpeen

Plants are indoor currently flowering under intense HPS light (well over 50 W/sq.ft.). Were vegetated under equal MH. System is Hydroponic drip type with organic style nutrient system.

I too was given samples; bushmaster and snowstorm ultra. Light cycle was changed when tallest plant was about 14"-15" tall. Bushmaster was applied 1 week after light cycle change. It was applied per the instructions for 3 days. Instead of plain water, 1/2 to 2/3 of the nutrient solution was pumped out, replaced with plain water, and pH adjusted, & bushmaster added. After 3 days a clearing solution was used to wash out the residuals and flowering was continued normally. Now into 4th week of flowering and tallest plant is 20" tall. Plants also showed a lot of outward branching. There were absolutely no problems, and it seemed to work as advertised.

Snowstorm Ultra was started 3rd week of flowering @ 0.5 mL per gallon in 1000 ppm nutrient solution. This was increased to 0.75 mL per gallon for the current 4th week of flowering. No problems thus far as described by others; no burning at all. Plants seem to be quite resinous at this point while flowers still aren't fully developed. Hard to measure effectiveness without a control group to compare, but at the least plants look great and are quite likely producing more resin.

With the free samples, it seemed worth experimenting. See no reason to be afraid of it for indoor hydroponic use. Just don't get carried away when trying something new, especially if it's known to be powerful.

Latest posts

Latest posts