What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PPM/TDS/EC In Organic Hydro

Tommygirl

I read on some thread or other that these meters don't work in organic nute solutions because what they read is metalic salts, and organics don't have enough of these to give an accurate reading. If this is true, how does an orgain hydro farmer test his solution to be sure he's not got it too strong or to be sure it's strong enough?

Azra3l

Hello,

What your tester read is the electric charge due to the dissolution into cations/anions (Ca2+, NH4+ K+, et so on ..) of your nutrients. Organic nutrients are composed of macromolecules for which:
-The charge won't correspond to the feeding possibilities of the water
-The degradation in absorbable elements is slow
So , you can't really use the tester with these hydroponic organic nutrients like biosevia GHE. You just follow a chart and adjust from what your plants are telling you. But the few tests some friends of mine have done are rather good, it works...

Peace

BudZad7

Organic Nute Testing

Organic Nute Testing

Hi All! When I brew a batch of Bat guano tea the EC is usually 1.4 PH 7.5-8.0
then I use lemon drops to lower PH to 6.0.......;>) this is a flowering tea

1 tbs= Jamaican bat guano
1 tbs= Maxicrop seaweed liquid
2 tbs= Worm castings
1tsp= Blackstrap molasses (unsulphured)-contains Iron,cal,potassium...lol
mix in 1 gal of RO water PH 6.0...... :yummy:

If you people read the label of these ferts alot contain the above organics...
plus a little vit c also....the girls LUV IT !!! see....

Grapefruit x Haze 6th week & 3--4 weeks to go

OG Kush 2nd week flowering

Peace!

Tommygirl

Yeah, it does sound like a really good mix. It's really close to what I'm going to be using in my ebb and flow system.

G

Please forgive my ignorance......

Please forgive my ignorance......

It is my understanding from the classes I have taken that plants are not able to absorb macro molecules and if they did it would be purely by active transport across the membranes. The macro molecules my break down to the nutrient constituants to cross the membrane of the root or leaf cell. Am I not correct about this? I thought the reason it was organic was the solution contained macro molecules in a form combined with carbon in some type of chemical bond thus the term organic. The plant still takes in the exact same type on N, P, K etc it is just originating from larger molecules that are broken down in a more natural process which takes longer............. hhhhmmmmmmmmmm :chin:

Peace

G

Oh...... I forgot....

Oh...... I forgot....

Nutrients regardless of the source are not "metalic salts" ....... some are derived from metals such as iron but they are elements in different chemical compositions...... but again I may be mistaken at this also..... what are the thoughts.....?????

Peace

DeadlyFoez

I uyse flora nova and floralicious and my tds meter that I bought off ebay for $30 does accurately measure ppm. I have had wonderfull success using it.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now I'm no scientist (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) and I use nothing but the Biotanicare line of nutes (Pure Blend Pro and the like) and use a Tri-Meter in a barrel and get perfect readings. I cannot say much about any other nutes organic or not I like what I got It's not broke and Have A Nice Day.

Mr.Wags

G

Have to agree with Deadly and MrWags.....

Have to agree with Deadly and MrWags.....

I know cations and anions were mentioned earlier in the thread and indirectly in the two posts above. PPM is derived by obtaining the EC and multiplying by a factor. There are three different factors commonly used. The one I am most familiar is Canna and it is .5 so he PPM is the EC multiplied by .5. The point being is that all readings are derived from the electrical conductivity between electrodes in a solution. Because pure water does not conduct electricity, the nutrients or cations and anions are what the readings are derived from. Regardless of organic or chemical method of fertilization the reading are still acurate because the basic nutrients are still the same with very slight variations. The difference is where the nutrients come from. In organics, as I said before the nutrients are released from larger molecules in more natural type processes but the usual chemical ferts just present them at the basic.. prebroken down state. The chem ferts derive them from organic and inorganic sources. The argument that Organic nutes won't register correctly stems from the premise that other factors in the organic forms such as catalysts, enzymes, facilitators such as natural cheleates (humic, fulvic acid), beneficial bacteria and other flora and fauna increase the bioavailability of nutrients and therefore PPM and EC are not a true measure of the solutions nutrient value to the plant. Possibly this is true and that is why many use organics. But the true value of available nutes in organic or chem ferts still can be correctly read by the meter. EC is the best because it is the basis for PPM and due to the different factors used .... you could be talking apples and oranges when comparing ppm with someone with a different meter type. What can't be read is the benefits of having all those other co-factors working together with the nutes but this is the art part of our science. Wwwhhhhhhheeeeewwww.

Peace

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bree does put in a nutshell. After time with ANY nutes you get familiar with you can watch your girls and tell what they want. Hell man I sometimes catch myself at my friends homes looking at their house plants and seeing what they need.lol

"Bob ya got any epsom salt laying around?"

it takes some time a lot of sitting and watching and sitting again but over time you will find EVERY garden is different every strain has it's own little quirks and it's you the parent that needs to decide what your little girls really need.

Mr.Wags

G

MrWags you had me rolling around on the tile for a min... there

MrWags you had me rolling around on the tile for a min... there

We finished out our basement and did it all ourselves.... I still go around looking at peoples sheet rock seams and stain on the molding....hehehehehehe

And really got me the epsom salt......... I did that once ... bad thing was it was my father-inlaw........

Peace

Tommygirl

Thanks for all the great information, guys. It seems that the thread I read about it was simply wrong, and I'm glad that I decided to check and be certain of what other people might know about it. What you've been saying also jibes with the fact that my TDS meter does, in fact, read guano tea. WHich is another reason I was questioning what the person had said.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tommygirl the advice on this site is here for the asking but bare in mind not all information is good information. Until someone actually steps in your garden (don't do that either lol) all that can really be said is something like, this is what I do or you could try this. Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt and in time you will see the light through the poopie.

The Constant Student
Mr.Wags

Tommygirl

Yeah, I've decided that a lot of the info passed around on these sites is based on opinion. The opinions are usually developed through personal experience, and are valid facts for that person with they're growing style, but might not work for you. Opinions are like assholes, right? :biglaugh:

Mostly what I want when I ask a question is what people think, so that I have a guide until I can form my own opinion re: asshole) on the subject in question.

Rattrap

The thing to remember with shop bought organic nutes is that not all are 100% organic. Products like PBP arn't 100% organic, thats y they will register fine on an ec meter. 100% organics won't read correctly at all so its as has been said here earlier, u just gotta read your plants & get to know your nutes.

vavwl

I use my ppm meter as a guide mostly, I don't judge my feeding based solely on what the meter reads. Ideally you should be able to do it just by looking at the girls. Take readings regularly just to see what ppm your girls are thriving at.

G

A meter is just one too.......

A meter is just one too.......

A meter is just a tool that help you know you are doing your part of what the plants are telling you. Thats been my experience. I set certain arbitrary parameters and then let the plants tell me what to do next. Sounds crazy but they do wisper to you.

Peace

BudZad7

The Ganja Whisperer!!!

The Ganja Whisperer!!!

:wave: Hi All! Yes Bree.....I can hear her call........feed me....feed me......
mist me.......mist me......give me some molasses..........ahhhhh!!!! :wave:
Peace!!!!!