What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Muffler :)

treehuggers

Hello!

I have been forced to make my ventilation [1060 cm/h = 625 cf/m] as quiet as humanly possible (i will vent out the window) and the best solution to this problem seems to be - muffler. I'm going to show you how i made my muffler in half a day with very little expences. Oh, and it accualy works!

Excuse me while i light my spliff....

oh gotta roll it first.

Things stoner needs:

- 200L plastic container ( 53 gallon) - 12 eur
- metalic net - 14 eur
- silicone and silicone gun - 7eur
- aluminium tape - 7eur
- glasswoll - 20eur
-------------------------------
60eur = 75 $

but in most cases you've got silicone, tape and woll at home. I even had a piece of net but wast big enough.

This is the gear;

I cuted two pieces of tube so i can easly adjust the correct needed radius.

The rolled net is a little longer than the container.

We fix it in with those little endings...

The top of my bin is not thick enough so plastic didnt cut well. Fix it with some duct tape ... taping the cracks, sharp edges and strange formations :) --- | if you cant fix it with duct tape, you havent used enough :p |

Bottom Works Better :)

Tape it inside and outside... as much as will be looking out on each side + a little extra!

If you have noone to help you, ask you'r shoe!

tape tape tape

Inside

Siliconing

Spray with some stelex or someting.... to form it easily and goes off hands better.

My silicone drys to touch in 10 minutes. The alu tape holds the net just well.

It would be wise to wait for tomorrow but what the hell... USE GLOVES and mask ur mouth !!!

Dont push woll too tight. Not too loosy as well. I used only half of woll that seem same size as container when packed from factory...

Now also use silicone at the top. No leaks allowed!!!

This was testing area. I was suprised. The noise coming out of the tube is like beeing in a really big server room with big nooooooiseeee..... when i plugged this muffler NOTHING but air came on the other side. NOTHING not a tiny little bittle jiffy biffy sound. I hope i'll put it in use tomorrow... :) yaaay!!!.... Grow on!

Thanks to scegy for the inspiration!!

Be safe,
Tree

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
Fuck if I know man, I've never even built a carbon scrubber, or seen anything like you made above for that matter, haha. Good work though.

G

holly chrype u've created a monster.. a quiet one to say the least. good job, i may keep this in mine, but somewhat smaller. thanks a bunch

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
FYI- a safer alternative to fiberglass insulation would be "Quilt Batting" (aka "Quilt Filler").

Last edited:

cadillachydro

You cracked my ass up good when I read "If you cant fix it with duct tape, you havent used enough!" Ultimate quote material.

That was funny and i enjoyed your thread. Good work man. Thanks for sharing, keep it easy ~caddy

AbbieDoobie

Hey, Tree... :wave:

Here's mine:

It's a plastic trash can with a hole in the top. The 4" duct goes down into it and connects to my Vortex fan, and the fan sits atop my carbon scrubber, and the scrubber sits atop a thick foam pad. The air coming out of the scrubber exits into the can and out the 4" duct coming out the bottom side of the can. The whole can is wrapped in a thick mattress pad tied together with big-assed safety pins. It runs silent, runs deep, my brotha.....

~Abbie :joint:

treehuggers

Ganico: Thanks. Ofcourse smaller muffy for smaller fan :) Depends what your goal is. Mine was total silence, and I got it.

pontiac: Thank you for appruval and Quilt Batting info. I couldnt find anything aproprier at the warehouse i was buying stuff...

cadillachydro: Hehehe, thanks... dont know where i picked that quote up. Possible here on icm :)

Hey bigbear62, thanks for stoppin here!

AbbieDoobie hahaha... nice bunch of muffler hahah.... Good work bro! It's all about the silcene :)

My Muffler is now operating and muffling the sound.... :woohoo:

Be safe all
Tree

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
"they call him T~R~~E~E~H~U~G~G~E~R~S~ and not because he swedish "

yeah I know not the best rhyme in the world ... he he he

nice to see your doing a bit of d.i.y

tree... nice job ...

Peace
D9

treehuggers

Two action shots :D

Two action shots :D

(window on the right)

This is not the final position but it will stay like this for a cople of days until i redo some other things :)

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love it tree..... thanks mate..... mine is so noisy.... you have just solved my problem, but created another task for me! lol
It's good to be associated with innovative minds! (a bit cloudy at times though :bongsmi:)

Last edited:
G

do you have to worry about neighbors seeing your window open during the winter months?

treehuggers

Thanks for all the comments!

My window on the other side looks something like this:

Air goes out trough a lot of this tiny holes...

Stay safe.