What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

when i revegg should i trim roots at all?

The Budfather

title says it all i waws told not too by gmt but im afraid of root rot, but gmt is a reliable source im in a dilemma can some one help me im going to revegg a lifesaver bush then take cuts then trash her she has lotsa under growth.

and i have read and read and read no i dont need to use the search button

dopamine

I would think that the chances of getting root rot would increase after trimming, not decrease. Normally, you trim roots that are spun out and hardened off and not taking up beneficials from the soil. Young tender roots are much more susceptible to root rot than hard woody roots.

There may be good reason to trim the roots on a revegging plant, but avoiding root rot isn't one of them, imo.

G

Lemme understand, she's in flower and goin downhill fast? I had a cappucinno gifted to me to try to save in that condition. Repotting didn't help so I chopped her, taking all the branches and rooting them. Her clones live on. I've rooted clones whether they were in flower or veg, in flower she'll root (may take a little longer) and reveg when I pot her. Dunno what strain, but my Swt#3 roots in flower and when potted can be flipped and continues to flower without reveggin. Good luck with her. :wave:

GMT won't lead ya wrong mate! His knowledge and experience are well documented and respected by all. :joint:

Last edited:

The Budfather

alright so im gonna take clones and revegg her cause i really dont wanna lose them and dont feel like germing my last two probably male seeds to breed

im just getting my head around this cloning thing and only got 4 clones to root outta like 30 soo.... but ive added a heat pad and se white bumps on both clones that are at day 28-35
so one last question can the revegg under my 250 for a while or should it be lower wattage?

If you're revegging for clones and not to turn her into a mom, I don't see a benefit to trimming roots.

Here's how I revegged. Left as many fan leaves as possible and a few buds on the branches:

Put her under 80W of 24/0 floros while on vacation. Put under 18/6 of 400W MH for two and a half months, alternating feeding with FishMix and FF GB:

She's provided tons of cuttings (which I'm having trouble rooting: have been taking humidity dome off way too soon) and is in her second run of 12/12.

inflorescence

Veteran
If you cut off a plants canopy, you remove it's lifeline to the atmosphere. if you cut down the roots you stop it's lifeline to the rhizosphere. If you do these things, both at the same time you are cutting off the life to the plant.

It's true, pruning roots will cause an burst of new growth, but this is only after the roots have "regrouped" by surviving the initial cut and then sending out new roots. it's when the roots are sending out new roots that the canopy growth will follow, but this occurs after a period of time for the "regrouping" so in theory this works but it is the TIMING of when you cut the roots.

IMO, cut the canopy, wait several (up to 4) weeks, then cut the roots.
Do not cut the cuts at the same time you cut the canopy.
In other words, while one system is in shock (the roots or the canopy) you want the opposite system (the roots or the canopy) to be functioning well to offset the shock. One healthy system allows the regrowth of the other system by providing the necessary building blocks. If you cut off both systems there is not enough reserve building blocks to regrow both systems.

Last edited:

The Budfather

do u guys think she will be able to go in their with the 250 right away she wont be directly under just in the corner?

G

I was also woundering about triming the rootball for reveg, i am trying to reveg my alaskan thunderfuck for clones, would that be a good idea?

peace out

The Budfather

well as stated earlier its prolly better to trim roots later

so anyone gonna answer my question on whether you guys thinki can put em back under the 250 right away?

oh yeah should i flush them?eouldnt this speed along the process of death i think im just gonna fert one last time flush once then just water so that way they dont lose to much green.

G

I would trim rootballs and repot after a couple of weeks of 18/6 light and maybe some high N, dilute fish in a bottle.Make sure all bud material is removed before reveg.

The Budfather

hmm should i do a slight trim to the bottom of the roots?i have read all these other threads that say trimt the rootball, alongt with trimming the plant.

octodiem- trim the buds, thats where the shoots grow from, imo bad advice.

okay so i guess i will just put her to the side of the 250.

G

I trim the roots a lot taking at least 1/3 off and seperating the others.. Remember to get them growing well with lits of new leaves before trimming roots. The plant needs to be healthy or shock will kill it. I do this all the time it works and the trimming allows for precious new soil. MJ is a pretty tough plant.

CaptJamesTKirk

If it's a keeper - I'd take clones and try to re-veg both.

Re vegging is a bitch - takes paitenance and luck - at the same time, in the same place. Definatly reduce the root mass, the plant will loose a lot of above ground mass and the bottom will need to be adjusted or it will over power the above ground greenage. Ones that I have succeded with usually go down to little weird looking single leaf plants, then after a while start putting out the more famuliar odd numberd leaves.

Even if it's just for practice, ya got not much to loose, and the learning is always good. Go 4 it!

Last edited:

The Budfather

okay one last question, does everyone thinkit would be ok to flush her and what not.
would it also be ok to harvest her when calyxes have swollen or is this too late.
also how much fert should i give to her once shes cut 1/4,1/2, fulll strength?
she has about another week to ten days to go.... oh and all these questions are worth it for one of the phenos gonna make babies with her...

highasakite

i didn't read thru man i see that nobody was answering your question yes it will be fine throw that bitch. back under the light 20 24 hours of light. she will bounce back like the sticky whore she is. okay sorry for all that i got carried away. i have revegged a couple plants i have never had a problem. maybe cause i usually clone it a few times. in case it don't want to go back to the veg state. all that ever happened was the white hairs slowly browned then fell off. but the plant was fine.