What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Converting an HPS Ballast into a Switchable MH/HPS Ballast

Note: This DIY project is an edited conglomeration of several OG posts. Majority of the credit goes to Flyer. Remember Safety First!

Switchable HPS/MH Ballasts:

These ballasts allow the use of both HPS and MH bulbs. They operate by simply switching the HPS igniter out of the circuit. Generally, the switchable ballast consists of an HPS ballast with a switchable igniter. When an HPS bulb is used, the igniter is switched into the circuit. When an MH bulb is used, the igniter is switched off or out of the circuit. Although switchable ballast technology is simple, the user should exercise extreme caution because of the different voltages that HPS and MH bulbs operate on.

Safety First:

I do not recommend the use of simple, home-brewed and simple switchable ballasts that only take the HPS igniter out of circuit when in MH mode. Some readers may have the inclination to “make” switchable ballasts using a 1,000 watt HPS ballast core. Remember, HPS and MH bulbs have different operating voltages and electrical characteristics, this makes them incompatible with the idea of a simple switchable ballast. On certain occasions the MH bulbs have been known to rupture and explode. Although you may know someone who has successfully deployed simple switchable 1,000-watt ballast, the stress that this system places on the MH bulb can cause rapid breakdown, bulb integrity failure and fire. If you must use a single ballast for powering both MH and HPS bulbs, choose an HPS ballast with HPS main lights (Bloom/Flower) and purchase a few MH conversion bulbs to cover your vegetative cycle. Additionally with the new CFL and HPS balanced spectrum technology, there is a reduced requirement for MH lights if the vegetative cycle is short, i.e. in sea-of-green applications.

1. When you plug it back in to test it do it outside in an open area and have a way to cut power to it as well as a fire extinguisher handy. MH and HPS bulbs (in this case MH since we are converting from HPS to MH) CAN blow and CAN start a fire, even when brand new or in perfect working order.

2. Point the light away from you when you turn it on, that way if it blows you are not going to get hit with anything.

3. After you have the light on and working, run it for about an hour and listen to it. If the light or ballast starts making a buzzing sound shut it off, something is wrong and the buzzing is the transformer having problems.

Converting an HPS Ballast into a Switchable MH/HPS Ballast
============================================

Please note - this can only be done with an HPS Ballast. If you are not comfortable with basic electrical work and concepts then I do not recommend you do this. Please take appropriate precautions when doing this type of work and when testing your results.

HPS and MH Lights both use the same Autotransformer Ballasts, the only difference between the two lights, is the addition of an "Igniter" module to the HPS, to actually start the HPS bulb. Because of this you can easily and safely convert your HPS light to a Switchable light.

This takes about 30 minutes to do. You will need the following:

1. Pair of Wire Clippers (may not be needed, depends on light manufacturer)
2. Wire Twist Nuts (2, maybe 4)
3. Dual Pole, Single Throw switch from Home Depot (optional)
4. Approx. 2 feet (depending on ballast design) of #12 copper wire

-----------------------------
Details:

In the above pictures, you will note that an HPS has 3 components, and an MH has 2. The Autotransforming Ballast and the CAP are common to both types of Light assembly. The third piece that is only present in the HPS assembly, is the Igniter module.

Coming out of the Igniter there should be 3 wires, labeled X1LAMP, X2COM and X3 or something similar. If these are not labeled as such or similar, STOP! Your light is non-standard and unless you are a certified Electrician, you should consult one before continuing.

If you trace the X1 and X2 wires back, you will see X1 goes to a 3-wire connection between the Transformer and the Light Socket, and the X2 leads to a 3-wire connection also going between the Transformer and the Light Socket. These are the two leads you want to disconnect.

There are two ways to do this:

1st way: you can make it a semi-permanent conversion from HPS to MH, if you want to switch back, you have to open up your ballast again and reconnect the X1 and X2 leads.

2nd way: install a dual pole/single throw switch in X1 and X2, and you now have an on demand, switchable ballast.

Option 1:
1.Unplug the light! I recommend it having been unplugged for several hours before working on it.
2.Disconnect the X1 and X2 wires from the 3-wire connection spots by untwisting the wire nuts.
3.Retwist the wires back together, and re-cap with the wire nut as you do this.
4.Place one (1) new wire nut on the X1 lead coming out of the igniter to cap it so it does not short. Do the same with the X2 lead coming out of the igniter.

You’re done - your ballast will now run a same wattage MH bulb. To change back, reconnect the X1 and X2 leads coming out of the igniter to the respective X1 and X2 leads you disconnected them from.

Option 2:
1. Unplug the light!
2. Find a place to mount your switch. I used a pair of tin snips to cut a small 1"x1/2" hole in mine since the metal was thin and the switch just pushed into it. I do not recommend letting the switch hang out a hole or something. This is high voltage and that is inviting disaster.
3. After you have your switch mounted, cut your spare wire into two leads long enough to run from the switch to where the 3-wire connections are. ** NOTE ** Your spare wire should be the same gauge (thickness) as the wire that is already being used in the lights wiring.
4. Strip your ends and connect one end of each wire to each side of the same pole on your dual pole switch.
5. Locate the X1 lead from the Igniter and trace it back to the 3-wire connection.
6. Remove the wire nut and untwist the X1 lead from the other 2 wires.
7. Connect the X1 Igniter lead to one of the two remaining connection points on your switch.
8. Take the wire you attached to the same side of the opposite pole on your switch, and connect the other end of it to where you just took the X1 Igniter lead from, twist all three wires together.
9. Twist the wire nut onto these 3 wires to remake the 3-wire connection.
10. Do the same process with the X2 Igniter lead.

You’re done - close everything back up and you now have switchable ballast.

**Pics to follow in the next couple of weeks once the ballast kits arrive and I get some time some time to complete the project.**

Enjoy!

NC

The ballast in the fixture you have is a NPF Reactor Ballast. This only works with auto regulator aka autotransformer ballasts. As far as I know auto regulator ballast start at 250w and go up.

NC

raging_pit

as far as repeating the same process with the x2 lead, do you reconnect via the same switch as with the x1 lead, or is another switch necessary for the x2 lead as well as the x1? I'm assuming that a "dual poled" switch has the capability of switching 2 wires? Or is there another reason for the dual poled?

rastagrass

northcoastmed do you know if you canadd an igniter to a mh ballast to make it run a hps bulb of the same wattage or is it impossible?if you can do you know how?

G

To the last question -NO!

And although the intent of this thread is to help others keep costs down, I think it stupid to do this type of modification and do not recomend it. Get a bulb to match the ballast or the other way around. End of story. No body should risk life or limb to grow ganja. just my honest opinion though.

simpleword

Azeotrope said:
To the last question -NO!

And although the intent of this thread is to help others keep costs down, I think it stupid to do this type of modification and do not recomend it. Get a bulb to match the ballast or the other way around. End of story. No body should risk life or limb to grow ganja. just my honest opinion though.

If done properly, what is the risk of doing this?

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
i have two 400hps and at most i can use the hps but thats it and would need the mh if i could get my handds on it. but to just think that a 400MH is literaly 30 minutes away then hell, im game, gonna get eh instructions and see whats what.

i have a multi-tap ballast though. i think that its wired teh same way or better yet diagramed/labeled the same way as far as the "X1LAMP, X2COM and X3" .

but although things are different, shouldnt a schematic be able to be followed in order to make this modification? the labels may be different but wouldnt a teh wires be teh same? isnt the ballast, cap, ignitor (hps) OR ballast, cap (mh) the same for all MH's and HPS's? (dont know if theres a differece for those digital deals)

well either way ill give it a whirl and see whats what. if the only difference is an ignitor between both ballasts then its worht giving it a shot. hooking it up to a 6 strip with surge protector for safety shoould be an added measure of precaution. ill take pics and see. i think i vaguely remmeber something like this on OG where the guy did teh conversion on his living room floor and there was carpet.

anyway, will get back to you soon.

EDIT: dont they make switchable ballasts for retail? an dif so why cant it be done DIY?

Last edited:

Balance

400 watt HPS (s51) and
400 watt MH (M59,H33,M131,M135,M153,M154,M155)

Bulb (Ansi Ballast Code)

They make several ballasts for MH, only 1 for hps @ 400 watts. Each of these ballasts will have a different voltage output.

The only PROPER way to do this? Buy the ballast thats stamped on your bulb. Otherwise, buy more fire extinguishers. peace

Lex Dysic

Has anyone done this with a standard 1000HPS ballast??

I'm looking at a permanent conversion from 1KHPS to 1KMH usage for several ballasts if it can be done safely.

Thanks much!!

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
ACTUALLY, I have repaired MH/HPS switchable Ballasts and I can confirm this information is WRONG.

YES, NCM is correct in saying the switch removes the ignitor from the transformer circuit BUT it also changed which capacitor was in the circuit as well. That means that a different capacitor value was necessary to properly fire and operate the MH bulb in a proper fasion.

Unless you are EXTREMELY WELL VERSED in ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, I DO NOT FEEL IT IS ADVANTAGEOUS TO RISK A FIRE WHERE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ARE BEING CONDUCTED when conversion bulbs are available for any ballast configuration available.

C

Cozy Amnesia

imnotcrazy said:
ACTUALLY, I have repaired MH/HPS switchable Ballasts and I can confirm this information is WRONG.

YES, NCM is correct in saying the switch removes the ignitor from the transformer circuit BUT it also changed which capacitor was in the circuit as well. That means that a different capacitor value was necessary to properly fire and operate the MH bulb in a proper fasion.

Unless you are EXTREMELY WELL VERSED in ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, I DO NOT FEEL IT IS ADVANTAGEOUS TO RISK A FIRE WHERE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ARE BEING CONDUCTED when conversion bulbs are available for any ballast configuration available.

Thanks for the heads up!

full time daddy
Veteran
Inc is right switchable ballast have 2 cap's (22mf & 23 mf) there is a 1 way diode that is put between the 23 mf cap to disable it as well as the inggy ... That's why mh bulbs are not working right they only need 22 mf not 55 like a hps

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
stevr59 said:
does this work with a 150watts hps encolight i dont think mine has a bal in mine
with a 150 hps the cap's are the same as a 175mh ( if I remember right) all double check tonite , and u should have no prob''s as long as u cut out the iggy..... But if your going to do that u should just buy a cmh bulb :)

Again I would have to double check on cap size....

full time daddy
Veteran
Mt Toaker said:
so guess theres a big no on those pics huh?

it is unsafe to do this unless its done right IMO & i have yet to see anyone have the right info other then INC & ME..... if i knew witch diode too use i would post but i dont so i wont....

Mt Toaker

Yeah I doubt I would actually do it considering you can get a 400w blue spectrum florescent flood light for like 15-30 bucks. My room mate is pretty good with electronics and I was talking to him about it. I more or less skimmed it but you seem like you are just installing a switch to bypass the ignighter. It was more for curiosity's sake than anything. Not today but some day I might look into it deeper.

I remember you mentioning that if your ballast buzzes there is something wrong with it?

Mine has always buzzed since day one of getting it, though I did get a refurbished HPS. I'm pretty sure that every HPS I've been around buzzes atl east a little.

Can you please elaborate on the Buzz problem? Is it a loud buzz or just the normal I have 400w of power to give this light kinda buzz?

full time daddy
Veteran
was not me :)

northcoastmed said:
3. After you have the light on and working, run it for about an hour and listen to it. If the light or ballast starts making a buzzing sound shut it off, something is wrong and the buzzing is the transformer having problems.

Mt Toaker said:
seem like you are just installing a switch to bypass the ignighter.
thats what it seem's like but the reason it's wrong is MH & HPS dont have the same CAP MF size there for 2 cap's is needed one for MH & 2 for HPS{the mh one + a 2nd too give you the MF's needed too run the HPS lamp} this is why a diode is put into play so when the mh is on the 2nd cap is not used.....

freeradical

Can I simply use a 1000w MH transformer and purchase a capacitor and ignitor to use it for a 1000w HPS lamp? Is there any info on the specs of the capacitor and ignitor? I believe the capacitors for 1000w HPS are 26uF/525V, but is there any other info I need to know when looking for a capacitor (such as the dielectric used, which seems to be oil in many cases)? I have no idea of what ignitor specs I am looking for. Is an ignitor simply an inductor?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts