What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make glass diffuser with 2 tools you probably have. (pics)

Shafto

After OG went down I haven’t really been on any forums, I’m into the smoking toys, vapes, I like making my own stuff, I don’t know where else to post this so I’m putting it here, it sure would be nice to see a smoking toys section or a vape section.. I’m getting ready to get back on the all glass air stream (all air heated my glass only, no metals or even ceramics) digitally controlled vape I’ve been making.. I need somewhere to post my progress = ) ….on with it.

Tools:

Mapp or propane (see below) bottle with torch head from any hardware store
Dremel type tool with cut off disks, diamond preferred but not essential.
Eye Protection, glass can crack, it can shoot tiny pieces of hot glass, also use when operating the dremel

preheat.jpg

1. This is a 18.8 downstem, and I will be using Mapp gas which burns hotter than Propane, for the 14.4 you’ll be able to get away with just propane, which you’re more likely to have laying around. As pictured you start with a small flame with the downstem high above to slowely start heating, hold there while turning for about 1minute, heating to fast can cause cracking. Now normally glass blowers use didymium glasses to filter out the sodium flare (the bright yellow flame that comes off the glass when heated) but you aren’t going to experience that with these levels of heat, it will go slightly orange, but barely, you need oxygenated torches for that.

sealend.jpg

2. Next take a scrap piece of glass from something broken and start heating it, just throw it right in the flame, doesn’t really matter if it cracks, it most likely won’t anyway.. once both pieces are heated (glass kinda turning orange, but you won’t be able to see it well if you're outside- look for the flame to turn orange aswell) start using the scrap to pull the sides of the tube inwards to seal it off by sticking it on to the sides of the tube and pulling in, working around it until it’s sealed, this may take a bit of practice but isn’t very hard.. once sealed the glass will most likely be stuck on like mine is in the pic, I stuck it there on purpose so I could use my other hand for the camera.. just hold it in the flame and twist it off.. I’ve messed around with glass quite a bit so mine will probably look better than yours, but as long as it’s sealed, or even mostly sealed and will still fit into the bong it will work no matter how ugly. (note: if using coloured glass scrap have some ventilation, it can give off fumes, although it’s not being heated nearly as much to what it would be to actually make a glass piece I still recommend doing it outside with colour)

heatend.jpg

3. Heat the end up as evenly as you can by turning it in the flame, get it as hot as you can, couple minutes, you just want to heat around the bottom, this will help smooth it out.

blownbigger.jpg

4. Then what you want to do is try and balloon it out a bit by quickly taking it out of the flame after it’s been thoroughly and evenly heated all around and blow into the open end, it most likely won’t end up even, that’s ok, the parts that aren’t getting blown out at all can be held higher in the flame.. not too hot and lightly blown out to try and make it round, be careful blowing while it's in the flame though, you could blow a hole through it, just blow lightly until you see how the glass reacts. Don’t make the bubble too big or it won’t fit in the bong, have the bong there to check. (note: if it’s to big to fit into the bong remove it immediately, you don’t want it touching the cold glass for too long, it could cool the downstem to fast and crack it, this won’t happen unless you hold it on there for a good 5-10 seconds) ) if you blow it out too big just stick it in the flame and it will suck back in, if you have a stray hunk of glass stoping the downstem from going into the bong heat it up and stick the scrap onto it, heat the side of the excess chunk that attaches to the downstem and slowly start pulling it off.. after it looks like it’s gonna work have some sand ready, or some dirt, vermiculite would be best, quickly torch the sand/vermiculite/dirt to heat it and put the bottom hot end into the s/v/d and torch around the s/v/d to heat it more, only for about 10 seconds or so, then lay down the tube and have the hot end covered completely, leave it for about 20min until totally cool, this step is not absolutely necessary but it will ensure that your diffuser will be stronger and I highly recommend doing it.

wizard.jpg

5. Here’s the rotory tool I used, it has one of those flex connections which works well to keep the water away from the actual tool, and it’s easier to handle. I have a diamond cutting disk I bought because I cut glass a lot with it.. but they are expensive ($25CAD) and you can get away with the regular cutting disks, you want medium/high rpm setting for this job.

cutting.jpg

6. The glass needs to be wet while you cut it, somehow rig up your hose or do it in your sink, whatever works, just a little stream of water works great, you may get wet doing this, the disk will sling water filled with glass dust (WEAR EYE PROTECTION!) Slowly cut into the side of the ballooned area, go around cutting slits in it keep it wet and taking care not to twist the disk, go straight in and out, and don’t cut the slits too close to each other. (note: must be completely cool before doing this, adding cold water to the glass if it’s still hot at all will most likely crack it)

done.jpg

7. That’s it! Rinse it off with water, clean your bong before you test to get get the most from your downstem mod and feel the difference! Much smoother and nicer to hit on, less gurglely.. a very noticeable difference.

Last edited:

Shafto

if anybody has any questions or needs a more detailed description or a more detailed pic of something feel free to ask.

NICE, thanks for the great pics. i tried to make a diffuser before adn cracked my stem as well. i llok forward to your vape. when are you going to let us see that?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
There's not much of a DIY attitude? I definitely don't get that vibe, there's so many DIY guides around here, go look in the Growroom Designs and Equipment forum, lots of stuff there. DIY is great, I personally love these kinds of posts, thank you!

Shafto

Thanks guys, and I didn't mean that there wasn't much of a DIY attitude, I just asked if there was or not, I'm new here = )

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I mean they got some. but I never found too many DIY threads considering the basis of growing weed yourself is a DIY enviornment.

I mean I'm not knocking IC. you work with what you got

but in comparison to something like OG or some of the private forums floating about if asked that question I'd have to say not really.

but DIY threads are definitely welcome.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I'd love to see more DIY threads around here, the ones that are here are great and any additions to them are definitely more than welcome.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
That's pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't own a propane torch or a Dremel, being an urban dweller and all... :|

Shafto

Thanks again guys, mushupork5, did you try to make one from this DIY and it cracked? or you tried previously? I'd love to see someone make one of these, there must be somebody around here with an extra stem and these tools.

i tried to make one without using a propane torch. my problem was that i crushed it before i got too far. that glass is THIN

but im pretty sure i could do it this way as well. my bong just got broken a few days back and i'm about to go get a new one. if i dont get a diffuser, i'll make you Shafto way.

the diffueser i have right now has an open end, its just another hole. i have a roor diffuser that has 9 holes around the tip and an open end on it.

G

Very nice DIY, we need more people such as your self contributing.

Stay safe

hell yeah! do you have ne experience in blowing glass or did u just come up with this on your own? i have a cornacopia of broken pieces i'd like to sand down and put back together, can u just heat them up with the mapp gas and fuse em like that?

Latest posts

Latest posts