What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Indoor Flo

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's the best photos of my purple indoor Flo, which I finally chopped tonight at 50 days. This was a clone of the original seed-parent, and was topped many times to get as many bud-stalks as possible. Looks pretty weird, eh?
It always pops a few new pistils out right at the end to frustrate me (and tempt me to leave it longer), but space and time, as always, won out in the end. It's a pretty low-yield pheno, as it always consumes it own leaves at the onset of flowering, (and they don't yellow either - they dry out to crispy brown and then drop off) and it doesn't produce the hugest trichomes either, nor is it sticky - although the buds are rock-hard.

But the high is remarkable for its clarity, which is why I keep it on. And the green pheno, which is still flowering, is a huge yielder, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The first time I grew this out I got really worried, and tried everything to fix it - but it's just the way it goes under HIDs. The outdoor one is splendid, as was my friend's too. Under fluoros it's also fine. But stick this one in an intensive environment, and the leaves just shrivel, curling upwards, until they're so dry they fall off. The only downside with that is the buds lose their main food source, but they seem to manage OK. Without the brown bits attached now, it looks really, really nice...:)

bubbaKu

What do you feed them? Just wonderin because the leaf issue is weird...Very nice plants brother, they are quite beautiful!

B-

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I didn't feed them anything special, although it's a 'dual' nutrient i.e. soil or hydro. I use Vita-Link - a British suite of nutes. Very good quality. I would have bought a soil-specific one, but I had large containers of the stuff left, and I didn't want to tip it down the sink! All the other plants are healthy, so it could be the nutes, maybe not.
Next grow I'll switch to something like Canna Terra if I do it in soil again. I do like soil growing, apart from the godawful slow veg times - I'm used to hydro plants growing two feet in a week! Don't know how Flo would cope with hydro - I'm sure DJ wouldn't be happy at all...:)

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
looks great man.. i've got 5 sprouts showing really nice purple stems already and the other 3 are all green.. sitting tight for another month or so waiting for the preflowers is going to be difficult. i hope i can find a colorful pheno that stays happy under the hid!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My last two females are about 10" and 12" tall, and ready to go into the main flower room next week, after taking clones. One of them is a big-leafed tall one like the green one I have flowering - the other is a more compact Afghani pheno. Both have totally purple stems again though.

I also have two Flo males on 5 days of 12/12 now, that match exactly the two females. These will be squeezed dry of pollen, and I aim to cross everything I have with both males separately.

So it would be:

CrissCross X Flo
Flo X Flo (twice!)
G13 X Flo
Malawi Gold X Flo
Jamaican (recently acquired) X Flo
'Mystery Strain' X Flo (this will be the first test, as I know the female so well)
(Northern Lights X Big Bud) X Flo
Skunk#1 X Flo

And of course, that would have to be repeated for both males! Yikes...:)

Last edited:

Matagal

hi, realy good...

you have problems in use of HID with this plants?
is necessary a big vegetative time (from seed)
4 weeks or more?
thanks

flo is my next grow.

matagal

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I only have problems under HID with this purple pheno - this is its sister (from the same packet of seeds):

First grow:

This grow:

As you can see, this pheno (much more green than purple) loves HID lighting! You'll also notice though that this pheno also loses its shade leaves, although only in the last week, instead of at the onset of flowering...:)

Flo is pretty slow in veg though, and not very branchy. I have two more females at six weeks veg, and I'll put them in the main room when I harvest my other crop (in the next 7 days). I would try and pinch them out a couple of times to get as many tops as possible - Flo grows very long spears, with hardly any branches. Incredible smoke though...:)

Last edited:

Red

Saving the Planet, One Seed At A Time
Never judge a book by its' cover eh???? The Flo is one of my top ten all time favourites-great clear high that transcends any mood I'm in. Great shots EM!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I just smoked a tiny bud from the top of the stalk - it was almost dry! Even tasting green, it still has that ringing, clear buzz. Except it's 2am, and I should be thinking about bedtime. Bad idea smoking Flo at bedtime!

But I cannot wait to cross the two Flo males I have with my babes - already starting to drop pollen after three days 12/12.

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
ahh flo..

i've got a ninth sprout making its way up.. that makes for 90% germ from these suckers.

all looking good so far.. one may be going towards mutant.. looks pretty cool tho..

nice pics as always Elephant Man

I have Flo too, except from Dutch Passion, and, the Flo buds in your pics are identical in growth formation to how mine grow as well. I have the green phenotype, but every once in awhile, I'll have a few branches that turn purple. I smoke this herb daily due to its clear high.

I'm up in Humboldt County, and I don't know anyone else who has Flo besides me. It's cool and interesting to hear about people growing and enjoying the flavorful high of Flo.

Also, I grow my Flo primarily in hydro. I must admit that it took me a few cycles to get Flo to grow to it's potential. I would say be careful with the amount of nutrients in hydro because Flo is a sensitive woman. Treat her proper, then she'll treat you proper as well. Good luck with your harvest!!

--Herbsman_OS

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Herbsman - my Flo is also from Dutch Passion, which would explain the similarity! I do plan to get DJs version for comparison when I get some funds, but I have no complaints about this version at all.

Out of one packet of seeds I got:

1 weakling that died at 1"
2 mutants that were too weird to bother with
1 'reverse hermaphrodite' (i.e. male that sports female flowers)
2 killer males (currently flowering)
4 killer females (two grown out, the green and the purple phenos, and two more, which look to be similar to those at this stage)

So I'm happy with that breakdown, despite the tough crits DP can get.
And yes - the high is amazing. I tasted another tiny bud this morning, and even at that stage (almost dry) it's instantly stimulating. I love it...

Given you're in Humboldt, do you know how this might perform outdoors? I have one in my garden, and even in GB in mid-October it's flowering out nicely. We're having a lot of rain right now, but it seems to be dealing with it OK. But I would love to try some of this grown outdoors in Cali...:)

Last edited: