What's new

Phillips Mastercolor Ceramic Metal Halide

guineapig

Veteran
I wish i could put the graph of the spectra of the 3K and 4K bulbs here but I
can't figure out how to transfer an image in pdf format to my gallery.....

Oh well....one looke at the graph of the 4K bulb and you know this bulb has
some serious horticultual applications.....the spectrum looks similar to that
new Hortilux Blue Bulb......

If anyone has any information on these new bulbs which operate on new T-6
technology, please please please contribute to this thread.....

If you do a quick google search for "Phillips Mastercolor Ceramic Metal Halide"
you will see the graphs and you will get an idea why i am so excited :woohoo:......:woohoo:.......

MasterColor® Tubular Single-Ended Lamps

Excellent Color Rendering
82–85 for 3K; 90–93 for 4K
 Superior Color Stability
Within ± 200K
 Lamp to Lamp Color
Consistency Over Life
 Environmentally Responsible
TCLP Compliant
Lamp Technology
PAR 38 versions pass EPA’s TCLP* test
for non-hazardous waste
 Reduced Lighting Cost
of Ownership Benefits
–Energy-efficient alternative to
incandescent/halogen
–Reduced end-of-life handling and
disposal costs
–Maintained light output for extended
useful life
–Operate on existing ballasts
–Up to 12,500-hour lamp life
 UV FadeBlock™
Safe for people and photo-sensitive materials
Philips
Lighting
Company
Ideal for…
 Retail accent and display lighting
 Architectural lighting
…for interior and
exterior applications

MasterColor® Metal Halide T-6 lamps must be used in combination with appropriate magnetic
ballast and ignitor or suitable full electronic ballast. For optimum performance of the lamp, the
supply voltage should not fluctuate more than ±5% from the rated voltage of the ballast.

Thanks for posting on the CMH bulb, GP.

Have you used one yet?

I believe I found that PDF page link you mentioned with graph.
For anyone who's interested, just google ceramic metal halide
bulbs and you'll find in the first few listings.

I'm interested in this because I'm getting back into the game after being growless for a while. I've got a core and coil 400w HPS I used for 3 or 4 grows about three years ago and want to use what i already have as much as practicable. To keep it even simpler, i am going to veg and flower in the same room, so i started shopping for MH replacement bulbs--and found out they were like $75 bucks and up!

I remembered reading about the "new" cma bulbs on overgrow a few years ago and thought they cost about $50 or $60. So, I did a search and found your post. I also found a page on ebay that is selling ed18 socket 400 cmh for about $22 when you include shipping.

Has anyone used cmh bulbs in a grow before?
Is there anything I should look out for? Drawbacks?

Thanks for any insight... -de Toke

Only problem it seems is that it is a Metal Halide conversion bulb for HPS's, so it would likely not fire in a standard digital ballast. The Hortilux Blue MH on the other hand, will have to give that sucker a spin on my Lumatek 250, see if it fires ok. TKS.

sleepyrz

they degrade very fast

their lifespan is way shorter

this is posted over at gardenscure by knna our local light guru

trust me he knows what he is talking about

When first CMH reached the market, i though they were going to be the next growing light, due to its better spectrum (compared with HPSs) and excelent efficiency. But when i studied their specs, i noticed their quick lm depreciation, so the average perfomance along it short life (2-3000h, 2-3 grows) isnt so great as it seems just looking at initial specs.

CMH are the discharge lamps wich loses emission faster, reaching 70% of initial output in 5000h in best cases and running with electronic ballast. Most times, they are below 80% of initial emission at just 3K h. Together with high price, CMH are a pricey alternative.

Aditionally, although they run with HPS's ballast, CMH need a narrower range of voltage compared with HPS, so running a CMH with a generic magnetic HPS ballast probably result in damaging the bulb faster yet.

sleepyrz said:
this is posted over at gardenscure by knna our local light guru

trust me he knows what he is talking about.

Hiya Sleepyrz :wave:

knna posts here as well, just not as much as over at the garden.

Thanks

Thanks

Slickster--yeah, I heard that digis might not work with cmh, but thought they might work for me in my old school set-up. Good luck with your 250... :joint:

Sleepyrz-- thanks for that info. I will read some of those posts. Short lifespan may not be that much of an issue if the CMHs are cheaper than an MH conversion, as I will still be flowering with an HPS and am focusing on start-up costs, most of all. But this is definitely info I needed to have.

When I pull a nice 8-10 oz harvest, i'll feel justified in upgrading and getting all spendy... :dance:

Thanks again and peace,

de Toke

Last edited:
G

Every bulb has there pro's/con's list. The CMH bulbs are not compatible with digi ballasts that are not specific to there low frequency requirements. I get the Philips 400w CMH Retro-White for $36.00 U.S. and the 250w for 33.00 I ran across them in a wholsale venue that I use 2 1/2yrs ago and have since discarded my Horti's. There is no comparison in plant vigour, health, node spacing, production, RESIN and FRAGRANCE between the two.IMHO There is something to be said for the full spectrum ( far blue to far red ) output of the CMH. They do require more frequent re-lamping and require a quality ignitor. imho Not knocking the horti's, just tried something different and in side by sides and in generall the full spectrum was unbeatable.

By the way, I swore never to post again after OG and have just been reading for a while, but this topic I felt really strong in regards to.

Peace, and thanks for all the good info exchange around here all!!!

Thx for chiming in Azeo :wave:

Yeah, the CRI index is something on the CMHs. Just getting my 400w set-up this week, using my old magnetic ballast that I used for 3 or 4 grows.

We'll see if it can fire one up.

peace

simba

Sleeping Dragon
copied from my other post.. found here i realy like them for 20-400 watt grows..
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59092

cmh found here
http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

so..
this has been in the works now..

i have used/seen HPS 400 Ceramic metal halide Retro White
and i like them for 400 watt setups..

a friend has used the Philips Ceramic Metal Halide 150 Watt g12

i figured id pass this info on..

a few good things about these vs other lamps...

High LPW vs CFL
less heat than hps in same watt (i dont know why) (400 puts less heat also)
so closer to plants (micro duh)
they have 8,900 lumen's in almost all areas that the plant likes.
so you plant will think its outside sun light

i cant really explain these.. (he wouldn't let me take pics of his setup)
but they produce higher yielding (IMHO) and tighter nugs..

here is the info i have on them from a hort lighting company
http://advancedtechlighting.com/
the philips cmh are the first links..i love there CFL and others but for micro philips mini cmh are best..
they have volshe ballasts for these.. i have requested pricing for the lamps..

SPD chart..
look at left for the 4K version
cmhspd.JPG

i will add a plant response chart as soon as i find it.. theres one that shows all absorbed

and

i have personally used a CFL and i dont really like them for micro.. not trying micro again. to small for me
you cant realy get the light from the top side reflected down unless you have a Wide area (most pc cases are thin)
i do like them for Small setups.. though that you can have a full reflector

These im thinking for the speaker, Pc

i should also note these have been discussed a lil bit here for 250 and 400 watt

these also compare directly to the
wich they say rock for growing
EYE HORTILUX BLUE (there MH version) i think this is a veg bulb to much blue
and there Cerama Red (there Cermic metal halide red version) not as much red as philips and twice the price
the eye blue is $119.00 for there lowest wattage one..

as far as pricing im finding about 45 for the bulb.. anywhere
from that company there VS ballast 160.00 and they have the Rx7 and G12 connectors avail depending on your setup..
if you have a old flood housing you can use a rx7 and you can make a mini air cooled hood.. (just atatch the top of the flood to the top of the pc case and cut an opening and put a fan there pulling air threw the flood...

Last edited:

paperchaser825

Hello everyone. Great stuff here. Was wondering which size lamp you guys would recommend out of the 250w and the 400w MasterColor for a cabinet that is 2'x2'x4'7''. The cab is well ventilated and I plan to use an air cooled hood.

:rasta:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
62.5w per sq. ft. as compared to 100w per sq. ft. If you can keep temps down enough with a 400, I say go for it. Good luck.

BTW: There is a sticky above, on CMH.

Namaste, mess