What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My XMAS Gift!!!

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
There is only one real time that my system requires alot of work, That is in the begining. I grow my clones in soil and let them rootball in an extreamly small pot size, untill its time to transplant into the trays.

This method works well because they dont really go into a major shock, they go what I call hydro shock. I this i think is due to the fact I dont clean the dirt out, and disturb the root system. Rather, let the root ball hold everything in and expand massivly once transplanted into my 8 inch netpots.

This is the first time using the trays fully loaded!!! I always seem to be short a plant or two....but not this time!!You may have noticed that I have pruned my babies very early in life, and has resulted in 2-4 main branches from each clone.

Same basic growing style. No flushes, but i will be watching the PPM & PH levels more closely throughout this grow.I also added some support bamboo when they are larger, had major problems with branches falling over last crop!!! WAYYY easier at the start when you are just putting medium in.

Here are some starting pictures of the Magic Trays!! These wil be Xmas buds!! Can't wait!!This room perpetually harvests every three months.

9118winter01.jpg

9118winter02.jpg

Last edited:
G

how much longer they gonna veg for before the flip? what strain?

Blunt_69

Veteran
These will veg for a month, then i'll flip em. Should be about 6-10 inches away from the top of the bamboo(perfect size!)

Northern Lights and Northern lights X dutch treat.January I hope to have a new deadly strain to try in the trays.

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Went out and bought a cool new remote temp/humity sensor. It allows me to see just what my shows doing from outside the box!!!

Man my room is far from perfect.Now that i can see whats going on. THe AC unit is on the way. Temps are peaking at 35 degrees celcius. and my relitive humitity is 23%...not good, not good. I had no idea it was this hot in there,

My question is this, if i bring the temps down with AC, will the humitity go up?? I also have a small dehumidifier on it's way however, according to my numbers i need a humidifier. Or do the kenmores do both?? The ones i have seen you set a humitity and it maintians it.

What i plan on doing is venting the light directly with in out fans, and controling the ambient air with AC. What kind of effect on humitity will this have??

V

vhGhost

if your not going to vent the room itself then your relative humidity should go up!

When using an AC unit you need to vent the hot air from the AC exhaust out of the room. Part of the process used by AC units takes humidity from the air. Some units use the water collected from the air to cool the condensor in the AC. It may depend on the type of unit you are using. I haven't used the window units so I don't know much about them.

In my room I have both a humidifier and an portable AC unit. On hot days when the AC is running almost non stop, the humidity drops considerably. It sucks my humidifier dry pretty quick.

Blunt_69

Veteran
if your not going to vent the room itself then your relative humidity should go up!

I hope so. As everyone knows 40% 24-27C is the sweet spot. Ive been wanting to make the change for awhile,I finally found a decent deal on an AC unit. Window mounted.

Once i get this figured, it's CO2 time!!

All air conditioners remove water from the air, even wall mounted units. So even if you have the room sealed off, the AC will lower the RH.

Here is a quote I found

Although most people know that air conditioners cool the air, fewer realize that air conditioning is half cooling and half humidity control.

I am pretty sure that you will need a good a humidifier.

Blunt_69

Veteran
sweet, those are far less then dehumidifiers! Thanks jedi!

Just picked up a 465 blower fan.gawd i feel raped...100$.That was 50 $ off too. I absolutly hate paying those kind of prices...but...ah well whats done is done. IM going to try a quick fix untill my AC arrives. The guy at the hydro store said to bring it back if it dont work!

Thanks enviro experts!!

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
OK got zee new blower fan installed..

Picture of da room(still adjusting to to hydro shock)
9118zaroom.jpg

remote sensor which I read in an entirely different part of the house.neet upgrade!!
Now if i could only maintain that temp and humidity level, it's perfect at lights off............ The blower brought the temps down fro 36 to 32. Still to high, but as the plants grow the temps will also fall another few degrees.
9118remotesensor-med.jpg

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Leak!!!! Not to bad, but still. January im going to turn over a new leaf and loose the getto setup and install proper plumbing. My lower trays connection has to withstand some good pressure when it's topped up. I always seem to get small leaks occasionally from this connection. Once it's all plumbed properly i should be good forever!!! Getto has lasted 2+ years now!!

The plants are now growing with some vigour.Finally over the dro shock.
9118growing.jpg

9118growing123.jpg

Cant belive how much stalk growth there is already, and the roots wont be through for at least another week!!

Apparently our water system has been upgraded recently in my area.. We went from 230 to 60 starting ppm.I almost went out to buy a new ppm meter, i didnt belive it at first.I havent tested my water for awhile!!! The batteries in the ppm meter have been dead for at least 4 months[Hence, the DOIN'IT BLIND thread was born]!!

I calibrated the pen over and over.stupid thing kept reading 60ppm. I then decided to test some rain water.. It read at 10ppm(which is normal)

Mixed up some nutrients and did a quick test with lucas.. 540ppm (again normal value)

The PH of the water is also lower, from 8.0 to 7.0. I need to go buy some PH up for when i start dosein them in flower.. Im so stoked!!!! Man im glad i didnt go buy that RO unit!!! Im really laughing at people that buy their water. Only thing thats in our water is the chlorine-easiley handled by a brita filter!

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that the leak wasn't too bad. I once came home to see my res had been emptied in my growroom.

Those plants sure do have some big stalks for how big they are. :yes:

I have been using distilled water for my girls and it is starting to get a little expensive. I wish I had tap water that was that good. That would save a lot of time and money.

In your post you mention the roots coming through. What will they be coming through? I guess I am not sure exactly how your system works.

Blunt_69

Veteran
NP Jedi, I will clarify to you just how eveything works!! Hopefully this is useful to others that are trying to recreate the trays as well.

The Magic Trays are a recirculating Hydoponic system incorperating three key designs into them.

The 1st being SWC - using airstones underneth each net pot. My system uses trays rather then buckets for the root system to grow into. The netpots mount into holes(table is made with 1/2 plywood), situated directly above the trays.

2nd up - is the use of drippers to top feed my plants and recirculate the system. Because I am using trays(about 8 inches deep) I dont have alot of vertical root space within this area.To compensate for this, I also use the drippers to maximize root growth within the 6 inch pot themselves, before they dive into SWC underneath.

How does it reciculate one might ask???

3rd up and most important design is the overflow waterfall return line from the trays to the REZ, alot like how the Bio buckets maintain themselves. The netpots sit 2 inchs off the water inside the trays, water level is maintained by the overflow return line. Everytime the SWC trays are fed from the drippers above, the water level in the trays rises.This keeps water levels consistent, as well once the overflow point is reached, exchanges the water within the trays, with fresh water pumped from the REZ. This currently is set to occur every 3 hours for 10 minutes. From the latest pictures, you can see my dripper lines going into each netpot. It's what you cant see below, is where all "the magic", happens!! Once the roots hit the SWC trays, the growth rates are stupidly crazy.

So when i said the roots arnt through. I meant they havent dove into the SWC trays yet(are stickly using dripper feed at the moment) to grow the root system within the netpot.

These three key ideas are also reasoning on why the system is able to run without water changes and do very little but maintain a constant PH/PPM in my REZ, which is rock solid.

Check out," BUILD THE MAGIC TRAYS" thread in my sig for more info!

Hope that helps!!

Last edited:

Kenny Lingus

Hi!

I really like the clean and practical design of your growroom mate :)
Gonna be fun seeing those fat NL-genetics fill in there...

Where do you drain the buckets? At the floor? (Or how does this system actually work?)

Blunt_69

Veteran
Kenny - thanks!! Im sure everything will work out nicely!!
for more info,
Go to build page

TdoT Toker. Its only a chore in the beginning, other then that system will run for 4 - 10 days un-checked!! depending on what stage im in.

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Alright!! I forgot to mention that this grow is going to be for BIG BUD. Im going to give the ol pruning skills a go.. What I have going on is plants that all have 2 or more main branches.. Cola size is what im after this time!!
9118yisss-med.jpg
9118nlXdt457-med.jpg

9118roomshot.jpg

Liken the growth rates im seeing here!!!

And this is the runt..(sorry bout the landscape!!) DOnt know hwy the hell its so small compared to the rest??? weird!
9118therunt.jpg

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
cheap, and i have no ill effects using it. Once the plants get big enough those lines dont see anylight and clean themselves up anyways. Not a big deal what so ever, other then it looks bad!