What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Frosty Buds With No surface Trichs!?!?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
High :wave:

I grow my own medicine...and for one other patient...I grew some "frosty the snowman" dank medicine my last harvest........
*pics*

I cut fan leaves then let them get dehumidified for a couple days...then trimmed...they were still wet...but not as wet as a fresh trim (I hate the sticky mess lol...so I let em dry minus fan leaves a day or so)...after the wet trim...I do a "fine tuning ", close trim when they are dry (knocking off every single trich :biglaugh: )

I give away a lot of meds...everyone has agreed it looks frosty....

BUT...there are NO trichs on the surface of my buds....I saw it through a microscope....

Hopefully, Keefhead can add his expertise here... :wave:

Well no pics but I saw it with my own eyes!!! He couldn't capture the image (which leaves me open to the " :rolleyes: " reaction :D ) ....if I had my camera with me, I'd have taken pics....anyways I saw it for myself...and it's MY pot :biglaugh: And it has NO trichs on the surface....

The trichs are fragile and during handling and trimming they fell off....

I DID NOT KIEF THE BUDS...so I am reminded of all the times I've chosen "well manicured" bud over bud not well trimmed....

Can't tell ya how many times I've accused a couple dispensaries of kiefing the buds and doubling up the profits...and I have read numerous posts from others as well (over time)

My point? The buds can look frosty as heck and not have one single trich on the surface....mine didn't....and I didn't do it on purpose...didn't even know til I saw it through a microscope....

So just wanted to shed some light on this at my expense :bat: ...my bud is still bomb though :D

peace

:wave:

Last edited:
G

hmm, maybe the trichs on the surface are just really small? dunno what else to tell you man. normally my immediate reaction would be kiefed, but you didn't kief them, so thats not it. thats very odd. :confused:

G

How are they "frosty" without visible trichs? Something is giving them a frosty appearance. What do they look like before you trim them? If you are knocking off all the trichs perhaps your still "bomb" weed could be more "Bomb" with a bit of more careful handling?

G

trichomes are the stalks with the bulbous head. there are other things on the buds besides trichomes, but that somewhat resemble them (not in shape but in frost appearance) that do not necessarily contain thc. sorry i cant speak more technically, gave away my old book that had all that stuff in it.. im sure someone will chime in with more..

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
High the lorax :wave: Trichomes have glandular heads (they got the good stuff in 'em)...the heads are on stalks...looks like a stalk with a bulb on top....the round top at the part can be gone...yet the stalks are still there and are frosty...also...there are TONS of trichs beyond the surface....

I wish I had pics...if it were my microscope I'd have pics...but...you know....

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
There was some discussion on another thread, but woefully off-topic...so i started this thread, hoping those interested or knowledgeable would share those views here...on this thread dedicated to the topic....maybe we need to move this to another forum

XxJ03YxX

Yea man, probably the trich heads are just falling off during the manicuring. Do the stocks contain "the good stuff?"

Either way, looking delicious man. Yummy. I really wish I could try some of that.

Bonzo

Veteran
Howdy -VT- ,Did you check trichs while plant was still alive to determine harvest time? Were they there then? Fascinating, still looks killer though. Is that C99? How long did it go?

peace

bonz

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
High dante420143 :wave:

High XxJ03YxX :wave: No...the stalks do not contain the "good stuff"...and they are worthless for hashmaking...

High Bonzo!! :wave: GN f2 c99...trichs were there....well the glandular heads were there :smile: I chopped the lady at day 57....

Unless you have a microscope...you can't see what I am talking about....

G

all i can say if its getting you all high than not to worry. But if the trichs stayed on man imagine the high.. anyhow great looking nugsz bro..peace..

Gsack

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Dense Nugs Saved The Day!!!

Dense Nugs Saved The Day!!!

I auhored this thread simply to educate fellow patients, as I was quite fascinated when I saw the images through the scope lense...I was excited about sharing this with the community....as, undoubtedly, it is not unique to -VT- or c99....

all i can say if its getting you all high than not to worry. But if the trichs stayed on man imagine the high..

High guest2 :wave: My buds are still getting me high because I grew a great strain (Gypsy Nirvana F2 c99 :yes: )....and I grew some DENSE nugs....they're hard as rocks (no CO2 either)
I had very low temps and ran my
1K 6" and less from the plants
(sidelighting)...check it....

So...dense FAT nugs saved the day...as they are PLENTY of trichs INSIDE the buds....(is this making sense?)

If I saw some airy popcorn buds that were handled a lot...I'd definitely pass...but...I only buy hashish in clubs....

Hashish is all trichomes....some of us med users need and/or prefer hash...for the delivery and fast-acting efficacy....and this thread further demonstrates why hash is the better delivery method for potency....certainly the better buy IMO (if it's good hash)

Has anyone else seen there trichs on their buds under a microscope?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Bonzo said:
Hi again -VT- Some OGRE trichs:

peace

bonz :wave:

High again bonz :wave: Thanks for that pic!! Very DANK medicine by the way!!! See you didn't try to sculptur the buds like I did lol...nice trim job there...just right...
Imagine those round bulbs being broken off...but everything else intact...
Perhaps a pocket scope isn't a bad idea when selecting meds? Great shots and tasty lookin' bud, my brotha....heard great things about the Ogre...I may try that one someday

I did make a bunch of hash DWW :wave: I trimmed very close in fact to have a bigger hash material harvest :biglaugh: In the future I'll just do my hash runs with untrimmed buds and colas....I made hash with about a QP of material after drying...I'm guessing most of those trichs ended up in my hash yield :D
Good point....we can just make sure we trim and catch the trichs on something....in my case I trimmed real close...

Thanks guys.... :wave:

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
If you grow that close to the light is it possible the heat did them in or was it so cold that the oil wasn't able to flow due to low temps?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
High scrappy420...nah...it wasn't hot at all...I had central air ducted to 150 cubic feet along with a 9K BTU for the same 150 cubic feet...my temps stayed in the low 70's....moreover, I pictured shots with visible trichomes throughout the grow (it was documented)....

And one last thing....we put one bud (they are really dry and very hard...brittle) that had been handled under the scope out of almost 15 zips....

I didn't analyze almost an elbow...but that bud I had over at his place had been handled and sloshed around in a curing jar for the drive etc...

point of the thread was to show that the trichs are very fragile!!! Now that shot bonz posted was pristine....which is atypical for buds that have been handled....

The guy who has the scope claims wind can break them off....

Thanks for adding to the thread :wave:

Last edited:

Keefhead

-VT- Hey, good to see this thread here. Sorry, I was just getting ready to shut down for the night, then what did appear but this thread. Got yer back here...

-VT- is quite right, when the buds are still wet, they don't seem to drop trichs as much, but when they are dry, the lightest of handling can break the trichs off the stalks. You can even blow them off - and don't say no - I've done it and looked under the microscope - many times. My quest is better hash, and understanding the source I feel helps.

The frosty look, even of truly kiefed bud, is mostly made up of cystolith hairs and trichome stalks, both of which contain nothing of value to us. It's just the trichs, and they don't make up more than 10% or so of what makes the bud look so good. :yoinks:

Toss those cheap plastic-lens RS toys, they're fine for checking trichs for maturity, and leaves for bugs, but no good for serious trich and plant analysis - IMHO of course. You got to borrow or beg a good microscope, and look for yourself. Something abut 30x-90x zoom, trinocular so you can mount a camera without using the eyepiece, front and back adjustable lighting, and a dissecting type so you don't get a reverse image and can put a full bud under it. And then let it sit motionless while you study the entire picture, zooming in or out as needed to see as much as you need, and without moving it, allow you to share an image with friends who wanna see too.

Kinda like this:

Supposition and opinions are fine, and sometimes are the basis for discovery, but for this, a little honest microscope work is due. Studying the trichs and what it takes to remove them took a lot of microscope time, and I'm far from through.

Gotta get to bed now, I really need my beauty rest. (It ain't helped yet, but I keep trying.) :pointlaug But I'll be back, and as soon as I can afford a good ($350) adapter, I'll have pics. :woohoo:

K

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Keefhead said:
and as soon as I can afford a good ($350) adapter, I'll have pics. :woohoo:
I got 5 on it :D
Seriously though i'll chip in on one...I loved those images....would be worth it
great post... :wave: