What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

methods to pollenate lower branches and keep top buds seedless?

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
hi all :wave:

last time, there was way too much seed. so now we just want to pollenate some of the lower buds and keep the top buds as seedless as possible.

my logic tells me to get the male out just before the pollen sacks open, collect some pollen far away from the females into a little plastic bag, then perhaps apply the pollen to the lower hairs with a cottonwool bud?

we will be pollenating Arjan's Haze #2 x Kalimist, Arjan's Haze #2 x Northern Light #5 Haze and Sweet Tooth #3 x Lightstorm females with a Sweet Tooth #3 x Lightstorm male.

thanks in advance for all the ideas, advice and help :yes:

peace :joint:

Last edited:
G

Well, I can chime in on this one. As I plan the same thing, doing a controlled pollenation of selected branches.

I'm placing the flowering male in a different location, and setting the plant on a mirror. Every now and then, when the male drops it's pollent, give it a shake or so to drop it's pollen. Then scraping up the pollen collected on the mirror and putting it in a paper sack (you can use plastic or whatever), and then shaking the pollen bag, After shaking up the pollen in the bag, place the bag over the branch desired to be pollentated. Take some string and tie the opening around the branch closed and shaking the whole branch with the bag and dispersing the pollen. Let the bag sit for a wehile, then shake it all again - let it settle for a few minutes (so you don't spread pollen dust everywhere when you remove the bag). Untie and remove the pollen bag.

At this point, you can take your pollen sack, sealed up, and put it in the refrigerator to come back and pollenate it again if needed.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
paint brush, one of those fine brushes for models. collect your pollen away from your females, make sure itspretty far pollen gets around. then just gently i mean very gently brush a few pistils on the lowers with pollen. you dont need much.

G

I was thinking about doing that very thing. I have some light dust brushes perfect for the task - I actually bought them to cross pollent some corn.

G

I've done the bag method before. It's tried and true. The dust brush method, I've never tried on weed and was thinking about doing it. It's easy when doing corn - but you're only doing a few ears. I don't know how it would fair on little buds. But I guess it would be a good method if you only wanted very few seeds.

organic1

Both of these methods should work, but its not an exact science. Pollen has a way of getting around a little, so heres a tip.....When using the bag or paint brush method, it is advisable to remove the pollinated plant away from the rest of your flowering plants . I see this was mentioned earlier, but if you can, give the pollinated plants their own area away from the rest of your flowering plants for the duration of the flowering cycle. This will ensure that the rest of your plants stay unpollinated. Any plants put back into a flowering area where there are other unpollinated plants may cause some random pollination thru the room via fans, wind, etc. Just something to consider if you decide to do this....

Last edited:
G

I set humidity at around 80%-90%, turn off the fans, bring up the lights and gently apply pollen with a brush to lower branches. Done in the morning I'll have it all misted before they go to sleep and lower humidity at about 60%

Last edited:
G

Also, I'd like to mention. Clean the area you've pollentated or where a pollenated plant was growing. I once pollenated a plant, just the lower banches and it was fine - didn't spread anywhere I didnt' mean to pollenate. But the next grow....a few buds got pollenated!!! Thankfully, they were the same thing...just clones from the plants that were there before them. That's when I learned, pollen can linger.

Now when I pollenate, when the plant is removed and harvested - I clean the floors and walls and everything that was around the plant to make sure I don't do any extra pollenating again.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mine works ive done it hundreds of times, make sure to turn the vent off while doing it or taking the plant into another room.

edit: hotc hows it goin man? long time no see. :wave:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
ahoy jaykush!! :wave:

things are going good thanks, yourself? seen you around here :D

are you the DnB jay i used to talk to on MSN? :chin: i don't think so lol.

G

Are you guys having a hard time being precise with the pollen? Notice beans popping up where they shouldnt be or is it easy if youre cautious? I might just end up building a seperate cab.