What's new

stickyicky's MICRO grow (white skunk)

first time grower here :wave: . tryin to learn the tricks of the trade.
just picked up a few things to get my grow started RED GREENERY style slightly modifyed to my own version . I will be adding more lights, timers, and goodies as the grow progresses.

just started my seed GERM today. WHITE SKUNK
picked this stuff up from BLOWS (a.k.a lowes)
2 - 42 watt CFL's - $10.48
1 - Y plug - $2.48
1 - scocket cap - $2.09
1 - 15' ext. cord - $2.92 - not pictured

13508HPIM1164-med.JPG

13508HPIM1166-med.JPG

feel free to comment, yell at me , whatever! all in good fun. stay safe. GO GREEN!

here is my idea for the lights... stick the Y thru the top in a hole. use the socket kind of like a nut on a bolt. attach the ext. cord to that and BAM! later i can add more to this by adding more holes in the top. no need for an expensive fixture. can run the cheap ext cords to a serge protector and add a timer and or timers from there. i am not going to close the box all up like in REDS setup. mine is in my closet and can have an open top while running 24\7 light. i will add fans and exhaust when i get ready for the 12\12. i guess for now i will run a small fan in the closet to keep those cfls cool and some wind on the plants.

13508box1.jpg

J

Jam Master Jaco

Good setup man! That's how you do it. Cheap cheap cheap. Let's see what you can do :lurk:

J

Jam Master Jaco

I've heard bad things about miracle gro. Use FoxFarms soil instead. I think miraclegro has some fertilizer in it that can harm young plants. Time release fertilizer I think. Sorry but I'm not quite sure, have to wait for one of the members with more experience to give their 2 cents.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
^ Some say that, yes. I use MG or whatever I can find and it has been good to me. But when I germ seeds, I put them in cups with just peat, or humus and perlite.

I don't use MG until they are ready to be repotted from the cups. By then they can handle some ferts. These fortified soils get a bad rep but from my point of view, many new growers that are just learning get overwhelmed with all the additives to do a complete organic grow. It can be very daunting.

Be sure you put lots of perlite in there, make it airy and light. In the cups and when you repot.

Good luck dear, hope it all goes great for you.

yeah that is one thing that i still do not have a large grasp of is additives. i am not sure what or when to use diffrent ferts. i am trying to keep this as low key and cheap as possible. i am trying to get one sucessful grow under my belt. i am moving home in a few months and i am trying to get the know how so i can do a larger up scale grow when i get back, for now i am gonna just keep it to the small indoor grow to learn the dos-don't or the trade.

i know everyone says do a SEARCH for this or that. BELEAVE me i have. i have read more posts in the last 3 weeks or so than i have ever read anything in my whole life. i guess when it is somethign that you want to learn about or are interested in your can stand reading :) i just couldnt understand how people could read for FUN? it bored the shat outta me. i get on here and accually wanna learn something and all i do it read! i cant spell worth a damn but man i have learned just about as much these 3 weeks as i have my whole year at school. WEIRD.

sorry i started rambling there for a bit.

any help is greatly welcomed!

water

water

My apartment is hooked to city water. what can i do to make it ok for the plants. i thought i heard some one say something about boiling it? and then just keep it in some type of bottle till i need to use it?

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
You have the right idea, and I read until my eyes bled...but doing it is the way to learn.

I understand that many people use R/O water, I have well water here and that is what I give mine.

germ

germ

i forgot i picked these up too JIFFY PEAT POTS
form what the package says i guess once my seeds start to sprout i can put them in here and then once they start growing i can dig a hole in my pot and add these right into it. does this sound correct? that way the MG soil doesnt attack them with the ferts in it right away.

5708.jpg

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
stickyickyicky said:
pieceofmyheart- 2 things. 1. thanks for the help 2. u are a FEMALE correct?

if not u gotme worried :chin:

You are quite welcome....and yes, I am very female. lol

I used the peat pots on my first grow, and they were fine.

DAY 2 - jiffy pots in Humid DOME

DAY 2 - jiffy pots in Humid DOME

ok. all 3 of my seeds sprouted! got my jiffy pots all inflated w\water and installed them in to a cd holder (humidity dome) till they start growing. How long do you think they should be in there?

CD case
13508HPIM1170.JPG

13508HPIM1167.JPG

6" pots w\ 6 - 1\2 inch holes in bottom . my idea for the pots was to put a layer of med sized rocks at the bottom to cover up some of the drainage holes so my mix dosent come out then put in my potting soil w\added Vermiculite. or should i just fill it like it is?
13508HPIM1171-med.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the props!

here is a little area i setup in the back of my closet till i get my rubermaid all set up. i am guessing here but i think it should be like 2-3 weeks before i transplant them in to the big pots from the case ??? :chin:

13508HPIM1174-med.JPG

13508HPIM1173-med.JPG

Fan

Fan

a little fan i picked up for $8.00 to keep the air flowing until she has to go into the cab for the 12\12. has 3 settings, runs pretty quiet on the low. blows pretty hard too.

13508HPIM1176-med.JPG

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
nice little grow you got happenin there. once sprouted, im sure you know, you want to have the lights jsut a couple cms away from the plants. the lights should stay pretty cool

dop you plan on building some sort of cab in the future? or just keeping them in the closet?

i like the light set up btw. did ya happen to get it from me?:wink: ive got the same set up but double the lights. you can have the same with just an extension cord. i made my reflector out of an old garage door opener casing if you were wondering...

Last edited:
BONG- no i never seen yours before. its cool. yeah i was just walking thru the hardware store and saw the items there. My brain is pretty good at coming up with stuff like that. i am going to incorp. the tubs later when i go to the 12\12. for now i am just building it slowly.

DAY #3

DAY #3

seeds have sprouted out of the jiffy pots! i'd have to say they are a little less then 1 inch tall. these lil bastards grow quick :bigeye: heres a few pics...
how long until i need to water them in there? and about how much water?

13508HPIM1179-med.JPG

13508HPIM1178-med.JPG

Last edited:

Mr_Micro

Lookin good Sticky! :D
They do grow fast for sure!

I don't really have any experiance with soil growing so I can't say exactly when you should water em, but I can say that you should never let the area around the new roots completely dry out. Just keep it lightly moist and be careful not to over water em'. You want to leave some air pockets in the plugs to allow the roots to breathe well. I recall seeing a lot of soil growers using a misting type spray bottle to water their seedlings now that I think of it... the mist is gentle on the seedlings and helps keep the soil moist without over saturating it. If you have a spray bottle laying around it might not hurt to clean it out and use it to water your seedlings.