What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GB Outdoor Flo Grow

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
At the beginning of May, I gave a few cuts to a friend of mine - the purple and green Flos I have (Dutch Passion line), and a G13. Yesterday I went up to see how he was getting on. And I was astonished. We have experienced a so-called 'heatwave' recently (yeah right), but it's been damn sunny, all the same. He has all the plants in pots, and they're in full sun from 10am to 6pm. Given the 'delicate but elegant' nature of the purple Flo (grown from seed at least), I was amazed to see a 5-foot monster rolled out. As was the green version. And the G13. And two Jamaicans he's growing also :)

He's flowering them early, and so has been covering them every night for the last week by placing them into a blacked-out shed to give them 12/12. He will do this until Sept 21st, and then leave them to finish off, frost permitting (should be OK - not sure about the Jamaicans though!)

Assuming there are no problems, I will definitely be there on harvest day with a camera. And a rather large baggie for my share, methinks...:)

So here we go - purple first, then the green, then one of them all together in a family shot...:)

Purple Flo:

Green Flo:

And both together (purple on left) with the G13 in the back centre:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Only problem is it's not my grow - it's a friend's.
However, I will definitely get a smoke or two, given the size they could end up, and the fact that without my cuts he'd be smoking dried Jamaican shade leaves...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Just a quick update to this thread, with a few pics of my single outdoor Flo - the purple pheno. This was put out in early June, and has been severely pinched out since then to keep the height down, for security reasons. It's now about 24" tall, although would be around 36" at least had I not pinched it out so much. It's settled now, and I won't be pinching it again - I anticipate flowering to begin in the next week or so.
The growing tips are a beautiful magenta color, and the stems are just the most gorgeous inky purple - with the blue-green leaves, it's actually quite a stealth plant (so far!), as it's looks so exotic - I'm hoping by the time it's in full flower (and fully purple), it will be almost unrecognisable to prying eyes.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, the nights are drawing in here now, and my outdoor purple Flo is starting to bud up nicely. No real purpling of the leaves yet, but the calyxes are slowly turning, and some trichomes appearing. After observing my friend's version, who force-flowered his on 1st August, the purple should start in the next week or two. His is a week from harvest, and the whole plant is now the colour of a ripe aubergine...:)

G

Hi ElevatorMan

Hi ElevatorMan

Your outdoor girls are very lush and beautiful!
What a happy grower you are!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Orange

I'm an even happier grower now, as I just chopped my indoor plant down an hour ago! To avoid endlessly copying the pics around, here's the link:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=38377

As you can see, it looks nothing like the outdoor one - but these are both cuts from the same mother plant, taken from the same branch, no less...a great example of how different environments can affect this chameleon-like plant...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry for the excessive photos of this plant, but I haven't grown one outdoors for years. And in my own garden, never, so I'm anxious to preserve every moment - you never know. Also, I have to give this great camera back to my friend tomorrow...:)

Anyway, the shade leaves are purpling properly now, as are most of the top-facing calyxes. There's some nice trichome formation occurring, especially under the buds where there's some protection from the rain - which has been intense the last couple of days. I'm aiming for an end of October harvest on this one, based on what it looks like now - gorgeous...:)

G

Elevator Man, great how the Flo changes colour. You are sure going to have some nice dank fruit. I sure like Flo and have started a second small indoor cabinet grow after some difficulties finding the optimum cloning conditions.

I would like to try some Flo next year in a greenhouse. I think she would do well (at least I could grow taller and get a better yield).

Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
We're having some better weather finally - sunny by day, and clear and colder at night, which should really bring that purpling on. Although it's covered in dew right now - looking out the window, it looks awfully shiny!
I find if I give each branch a quick shake it gets that damned water out OK.

Although Flo does seem pretty 'waterproof' considering - my friend's G13 got very leafy outdoors and started developing mold almost immediately when it got wet - we had to hack bits off with a breadknife :)

G

Yo ElevatorMan

Yo ElevatorMan

Elevator Man said:
Orange

I'm an even happier grower now, as I just chopped my indoor plant down an hour ago! To avoid endlessly copying the pics around, here's the link:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=38377

As you can see, it looks nothing like the outdoor one - but these are both cuts from the same mother plant, taken from the same branch, no less...a great example of how different environments can affect this chameleon-like plant...:)

Mercy Me!!
What a bodacious bad azzz grow you have. Very beautiful!
What a luscious fingerprint to leave.
Happy Growing! :joint:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, I just pulled off a tiny bit of mold on the outdoor plant - it pissed it down with rain for three days solid last week, so I'm not totally suprised. I'll be watching it like a hawk now though. The color is spectacular though - all the leaves are purpling now - I think this one could end up looking almost exactly like the specimen in DJ's book.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Final pre-harvest update...

Final pre-harvest update...

Well, we've had some mixed weather here recently - pissing it down with rain one day, and sunny and windy the next. Today is sunny and windy, and I hope it will stay that way until Saturday, when I plan to harvest this beauty. I just took these photos a few minutes ago. Still, despite the rain, the Flo seems pretty waterproof - I've only had to pull off one tiny piece of mold in the whole grow the other day, and I think the rest will be fine for two more days.

It looks beautiful...:)

dyren

Wow!!! It looks amazingly tasty. Great job, congratulations!

I've always been interested in the flo... how many packs of DP's version did you have to go through to get your green and purple pheno's? Are there definite keepers within 1 pack?

Enjoy that herb.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
dyren - erm...one pack. Seriously. And it is a holy smoke too...:)

I got four great females, two great males, two mutants, one reverse hermie, and one seedling that died at sprouting. The two males are producing pollen now (see 'The Money Shot' thread in Flower Pix), two females grown out already, and the other two females are on day 10 of flower now. They'll be pollenated in about three weeks, meaning I shouldn't have to buy any more seeds for a while. So thanks to DJ Short - and Dutch Passion...:)