What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Cool Tube

G

I thought I'd throw these pics up of how I built my cool tubes. Hopefully this will help someone. I got everything but the socket and the glass from Home Depot. The hurricane lamp glass can be found at most hobby/arts + crafts stores.

Total Cost: Approx. $20

:sasmokin: Here's what I used:
Hurricane Lamp Glass
6" to 4" Ducting Reducer [optional]
Metal Pipe Strap [28 Gauge]
3"-5" Hose Clamp
Aluminum Foil Tape
Lamp Socket that came with my ballast

10546the-projects-017.jpg

:sasmokin: First, you need approx. 2 ft. of pipe strap. This can either be cut with metal snips, or you can just bend it back and forth until it breaks [caution: it will get hot before it breaks]

10546the-projects-018.jpg

:sasmokin: Next, make 2 folds in the strap, so you are left with a section 1/3rd the original length, but much sturdier and thicker. IMPORTANT: When folding the strap, make sure the holes are aligned with each other.

10546the-projects-022.jpg

10546the-projects-020.jpg

:sasmokin: Next, mount your socket in the middle of the strap. I used the hardware that came with my ballast, and my socket's mount holes line up just right with the holes in the strap. NOTE: You may have to drill an extra hole in the strap if your socket's mounts don't line up.

:sasmokin: Once your socket is secured in the middle of the strap, place it on the glass and bend the 2 ends down around the glass. You should end up with something like this......

10546the-projects-023.jpg

10546the-projects-024.jpg

10546the-projects-028.jpg

:sasmokin: Once you've got the strap bent around the glass, and the socket is near centered in the glass, put the hose clamp around the straps and tighten it down. CAUTION: Don't overtighten the clamp, it could break the glass.

10546the-projects-034.jpg

:sasmokin: At this point, make sure your socket is mounted tightly, then you can insert your bulb and check to see if it's centered properly.

10546the-projects-036.jpg

10546the-projects-037.jpg

:sasmokin: Now the big end of the ducting reducer goes over the socket-end of the glass. I used high-temp aluminum foil tape so it will not melt if my fan ever fails.

10546the-projects-038.jpg

10546the-projects-039.jpg

:sasmokin: Connect the socket wires to the ballast, and hook up your ducting. 6" ducting can be taped directly to the glass without the use of the reducer. 4" ducting can also be taped directly to the glass if you need to save space.

Last edited:

iamhigh

By far the best and cheapest way to setup a cool tube. You can also find that straping around most new construction site as plumbers use them, or maybe i just got lucky :p Be VERY CAREFUL when you attach the hose clamp go very slow and careful not to over do it.

If you need to hang your light get two of those hose clamps and two small S hooks. Put the other clamp on your ducting or elbow so you dont have to worry about breaking glass. Then before you tighten your clamps just hook a S hook through a hole then tighten. (so the S is standing up and the bottom part is in between the glass and clamp) Attach a chain and VIOLA an easy height adjustable light+cool tube.

kudos User Name your full of good ideas.

Last edited:

Sauce

Awesome tutorial! I built one in a very similar way, only I bolted the metal strap to the reducer and used high temp epoxy to stick the glass to the reducer instead of an adjustable pipe strap. Your way is the easiest I've seen yet though, very nice! :smoker:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
F-ing beautiful tutorial man! This is the most detailed tutorial for a cooltube i have ever seen. :wave:

cool tim the tool man idea i like to see home boy hookem ups like that simple and cool and not to mention the low cost!! applause please!!!!! :friends:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
THats an awesome guide you've posted. Much cheaper than the $100 cool tubes on the hydro websites.

-Funk

G

Thanks everyone :wave:

I was confused when I first learned of the cool tube so I figured this might shed some light to those still in the dark.

The lamp in the pictures is a 400w GroLux.

iamhigh

Oh just another tid bit to help with air flow..

Attach the ducting and socket on opposite ends. So the ducting has free air flow and isnt obstructed by the socket and it pulling the hot air right off the end of the bulb. Ill update a pic right before lights on..

G

iamhigh said:
Oh just another tid bit to help with air flow..

Attach the ducting and socket on opposite ends. So the ducting has free air flow and isnt obstructed by the socket and it pulling the hot air right off the end of the bulb. Ill update a pic right before lights on..

Ahh I hadn't thought of this but you bring up a good point. Unfortunately, my room has enough dust to dirty up a cool tube in a few days. They need to be kept clean inside and out, so the bulb must be easily removable from one side.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this... :chin:

iamhigh, is your ducting detachable for cleaning?

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
User Name said:
Ahh I hadn't thought of this but you bring up a good point. Unfortunately, my room has enough dust to dirty up a cool tube in a few days. They need to be kept clean inside and out, so the bulb must be easily removable from one side.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this... :chin:

iamhigh, is your ducting detachable for cleaning?

User Name, you could just run a duct from both ends and have one pulling fresh filtered air from outside room

iamhigh, :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:

good info bro :joint:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
right on when i copied the og faq dyi cool tube inst it didnt copy proper thx this is in short what that was.

iamhigh

i have one of those hand swiffer sweeper things and it slides right in there and i can jiggle it some and it picks up all the dust thats collected. gotta love those swiffer things.

darrinjefferson

just thought i would show you guys. here is a site with specialty lamp shades, including hurricane glass.
http://www.specialtylampshades.com/catalog/61293_hurricane_lamp_shade_721823.htm

i have yet to check the local craft/hobby store since it is 230 am and i just read the thread but if you cant find em anywhere you can get em online for $20. still not to bad considering how much cooltubes run on hydro sites.

i also have a question. this is what i am going to run in my cab and i was wondering what you do for a reflector? should i just buy a cheap batwing type reflector? or could i put that aluminum duct tape on the back section of the cooltube?

i reckon i will prob just get a cheap reflector with my light when i buy it so i might as well use it.

thanks for the help
peace