What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi from ACE Seeds

Emeril Lagasse

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I just wanted to share a smoke report of my ACE Seeds Malawi because it's so impressive, and I hope that my review will inspire some of you to grow it yourselves!

-She was grown from seed in a greenhouse.
-2014 seed, purchased from Herbie's a year ago
-Started in mid-May, cut down in mid-December
-Grown in Ocean Forest potting soil in a 5 gallon smart pot
-Used General Organics line of nutrients including Bio Bud (nute solution adjusted to 6.3 pH during flower), plus EWC/Actinovate/turbinado sugar teas
-Indonesian bat guano finish followed by a turbinado sugar flush before December harvest.
-Pheno was 7-8 feet tall, super lanky, tons of branches. Low-medium leafiness. Sativa-type leaves that seemed to get narrower as the plant grew bigger. Bud structure was extremely loose w/ lots of large resiny calyxes, like sticky-icky foxtails. Spicy, woody, herbaceous smell during flower, like a brick of hash and a bottle of Paco Rabanne had a lovechild in the Serengeti.
-Yield was extremely low. Despite her large size, ample supply of organic nutrients and exposure to strong Southern California sun in a decently-controlled greenhouse environment, she only yielded 2 ounces.

SMOKE REPORT (6-week cure)

-Insanely dank, woodsy cologne and fuel notes, loud and wild smell. I've never smelled weed like this before. Is this what Africa smells like?
-Taste is smooth, herbal, woody, sweet, with a touch of cigar.
-High is a creeper, takes about 10 minutes to fully kick in. But when it does, it hits you in the head like wrecking ball! If you smoke too much it can almost feel like a brain freeze! Super euphoric with a speedy energetic buzz. Puts a big fat grin on your face with red heavy-lidded eyes. A mild but pleasant body effect gives it a medical edge. The high is strong and psychoactive and very long lasting (0.25g = 3 hours) with a smooth comedown. Also, no paranoia!

Dubi, if you are reading this, thank you for your wonderful genetics! I truly adore the Malawi and look forward to growing more of your gear in the future.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
great report..what lat was u at? i know i cannot afford to grow that one if it finish in mid dec..i would love to though if i lived farther south..what did u use actinovate for? i got it for this year to use as folair for prevention of bud rot and will also add it into the soil to colonize the roots along with Lush Roots..just curious how it worked out for u as the reports i have seen everone has had good results with it

Edit: be ready to get some bangi haze this summer Dubi said they are making a FEM version if thats what u like growing which i do bc im a guerilla grower..love Ace genetics doing rotten panda this year as well

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Great report of a great plant, ran some a couple of years ago, alongside the Panama.

She is a great yielder though, you should have got a lot more from her, the bud looks fine, but why so little of it ? Was it a very small greenhouse ?

Mine got caned by caterpillars, then rain, then rotted, then stolen and eventually recovered 500m away in a torrential storm at 5am and survived a Police visit mid trimming, re the adventures with the theft. Still turned out a great smoke, as you describe.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Great report.
But as CC stated Malawi is also a good yielder. I grew a couple last season on miserable conditions (outdoor on heavy soil with no nutes added) and any of them yielded more than 2ozs.
You better give the Malawi another go ;)
Thanks for sharing

sprinkl

Veteran
Buds look nice, I don't get how 7-8 feet tall plants can yield such dense looking buds but only 2 oz of it? Few strong side branches or very long internode distance maybe?

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
ACE are now selling limited edition Breeders Packs....

MALAWI BREEDER'S PACK STANDARD
THE MOST POWERFUL PURE SATIVA ON THE MARKET. ONLY FOR THE MOST EXPERIENCED USERS, NOW AVAILABLE WITH ALL ITS GENETIC DIVERSITY FOR BREEDING

In Malawi Breeder's Pack, we offer you the best genetics available from this incredible sativa, considered by many as the strongest pure landrace sativa available in the market. This breeding project started thanks to the contribution of a collaborator, and developed by Dubi since 2007 until today. We offer you our best 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Malawi lines in standard format.

Description of the mother parental plants:

Old Killer: It's the overpowering original killer Malawi mother that we have used to start all our breeding with Malawi. It's a vigorous sativa of medium height and strong branching, with very high resin production of huge size. Its effect is extremely powerful, dense and psychedelic, lasting more than 4 hours. It has a classic african taste: woody and oily. The yield is high when grown with long vegetative times and strong light intensity. It takes 11-13 weeks to fully mature, depending on the growing variables. This is the line that produces closer plants to the original old killer Malawi clon.

New Killer (P3): Granddaughter of the old killer mother, competes with its grandmother in terms of resin production and potency. Like its 3rd generation sisters, the new Killer Malawi has a more tamed compact structure, with wider leaf and a shorter flowering time of 11-12 weeks. Its yield and terpene profile are very similar to the old Killer Malawi. This is the line where you can look for the most stable and tamed Malawis regarding structure, size and flowering time, keeping the extreme potency that made famous this strain.

Fruity (P3): Sister of the new Killer Malawi, it has a very similar expression in terms of size, flowering time and structure, but stand out for its more interesting aromas of mature mandarine, sweet carrot and flowers. This is the line where you can look for the Malawis with better taste and more refined terpene profile. The potency and yield are still very high.

Purple Malawi (P2): This is the mother of our Violeta hybrid. It's a colorful rare pheno found in the first Malawi feminized release. It's more compact than the green Malawis, but still displaying an excellent branching, and accepts the Nitrogen better. It's an interesting pheno due to its shorter flowering time of 10-11 weeks, for having a unique balsamic/fruity terpene profile, for showing a better resistance against cold and mildew, and of course for its intense purple and reddish colors at maturation. It's not so strong like killer Malawi parental plants, but without any doubt the effect is also very interesting, kinder and not so agressive. This is the line where you can look for the more colorful Malawis, with shorter flowering times and better adaptability to colder climates.

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings and nice grow man. Was your Malawi fem or reg? Was the Malawi scrogged or LSTed at all to increase yield? I grew out a Fem Malawi, scrogged it in a 2.5'x2.5' foot area and she yielded just under 5 oz's. Under a single 400w HPS and 180w LED. The Malawi I grew did not look like that. Yours seems to have more of a reddish tent which I like the look of. Mine was more golden/brown tented. Your smoke report is similar to mine. Yield is kinda confusing like others are saying.

Here's my Malawi from 6 months ago.

QImyfPG.jpg

99%

Mine got caned by caterpillars, then rain, then rotted, then stolen and eventually recovered 500m away in a torrential storm at 5am and survived a Police visit mid trimming, re the adventures with the theft. Still turned out a great smoke, as you describe.

Yes, but you really should grateful that it didn't get swallowed by a sinkhole or abducted by aliens.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

Yes, but you really should grateful that it didn't get swallowed by a sinkhole or abducted by aliens.

No, that was the year before... ;)

picture.php

kita

Hi Emeril Lagasse. If you mean Herbies headshop I would question the authenticity of the Malawi. I ordered Ace purple haze x meao thai from them and received an auto flowerer that finished in 6 weeks from its first flowers. I asked Luiz from Aceseeds.org and he told me they weren't recognised distributors of Ace gear.
I also got burnt ordering Cannabiogen's Punta rosa from herbies to receive a skunk that matured in 7-8 weeks.
Please order from Aceseeds.org if you can. The yield, taste and effect sounds a bit suspect to me.
Anyway glad you enjoyed it.

Dr.King

Veteran
If it's Ace always use their site. They give the best freebies, can pick from quite a few free strains. Best customer service I have had the pleasure doing business with by far. If the seeds get crushed in shipping or really bad germination rate they will usually replace with free new seeds. The only other sites I trust are Attitude and The Single Seed Centre. Both have had multiple orders from different strains and they all matched. Got my Malawi (Fruity pheno, tasty carrot) I did from Single Seed Centre and is on my top 5. It would have been on my top 3 but pulled it at week 14 and caused too much chest tightening pain for me, my family loved it. I'd go 16 weeks atleast with Malawi if you have any kind of anxiety disorder.

Nice looking buds however. I would give them a good smoking anytime :rasta:.