What's new

Cannabinoid profiles of your strains - home kit??

T

THCV

I am wondering if anyone has used the Cannalyze Test Kit to find out the cannabinoid profile of any of your buds? I would love to know what is in my strains, so i am tempted, but the video on the website makes it seem really complex. Still, doable at home which is cool.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
sounds interesting,just wish i could get a smaller kit like 10 for around $125-135 range.$249's a good size gamble till you know what your getting.

zamalito

Veteran
I wish they worked for thcv though. I like the type 4 strains with high percentage propyl chain cannabinoids. Still could be pretty useful though. I've been having a hard time figuring out exactly what constitutes an energetic high.

T

THCV

zamalito said:
I wish they worked for thcv though. I like the type 4 strains with high percentage propyl chain cannabinoids. Still could be pretty useful though. I've been having a hard time figuring out exactly what constitutes an energetic high.

I think it DOES do THCV, although there seems to be a typo on the site:

"The kit utilizes a highly specific and sensitive assay for the direct qualitative and quantitative measurement of the cannabinoids THC, CBD, CBN, THV and over 15 other cannabinoids in a sample of marihuana or hashish."

THV must mean THCV. Zamalito, what Type 4 strains do you have or have you grown? Malawi Gold is the only one I am even aware of, but i do like the idea.

zamalito

Veteran
I thought thv was a typo for thc but you're probably right. I don't know for sure but I think the zamal is a type 4 or at least somewhere in between a type 1 and type 4. It has such a different buzz from anything else and hits a lot faster than a thai I always considered it a type 4. The ghana gold and ghanaian accra skunk are most definitely type 4. The durban and swazi could be but my swazi doesn't strike me as being a type 4. I also have congolese, senegalese, madagascar (mombakely), zaire angola and kenyan strains that I have yet to grow or smoke. Though the congolese and madagascar probably aren't I have a good feeling that some of the senegalese jamba and hashish strains are probably type 4 . The way senegalese was described to me reminded me much of the accra skunk. Also many brazilian strains are descended from african genetics and some could have high thcv levels. I've always read that nigerian has some of the lowest thcv levels of african strains but it borders with ghana which IMO has the highest thcv content of anything I've come across. I've never tested anything for cannabinoid content though so I'm just making an educated guess and very easily could be completely mistaken. Also south indian sativas and north indian and afghan indicas tend to have some thcv though probably not enough to make them a full fledged type 4. Ak47 is supposed to produce some high thcv phenos that came from its columbian ancestry. I'd also be very curious to run a test on the 303 but I'm fairly certain it's not a type 4.

T

THCV

Very interesting, zamalito. Are these all outdoor grows? I have heard that Zamal takes 20 weeks to flower, yipes. Female Seeds has a Zamal x Neville's Haze cross that looks interesting, but they actually describe using Haze to bring down zamal's flowering time from 20 to 15 weeks--using Haze to shorten flowering has got to be a first.

Any faster strains that seem to have THCV? Afropips has a lot of Malawi crosses, and i have been considering them, but I am not sure about the inheritability of THCV production traits. That's part of why this test kit is so cool, as we could really find out what we have, although what a bummer to patiently wait 20 weeks of flower to find no THCV! :) Well, probably not really a bummer as you will have the rarest of the rare in your stash.

According to Robert Connell Clarke, African strains are derived from South Asian stocks from S African traders, so I think just because a strain is from Africa these days, doesn't nec mean it is related at all to another african strain. That might explain the nigerian vs ghana strains issue you mentioned.

zamalito

Veteran
The link is interesting. I've only grown and smoked destroyer but not the meao yet. The destroyer has a very creepy long lasting high to me. Maybe the cannabiogen is a different one from the meao. The meao's have been cultivating cannabis for a long time but don't live over a huge area. As far as your question t. Indoors the zamal from gypsy is 14 weeks some can be 12 with no signs of intersexed plants like female seeds says and matures evenly like a malawi compared to a 20 week thai. The other type I have shows some hermaphrodites matures a little more like a thai but still isn't a 20 week. If you started them under 12/12 they might take 20 weeks from germination maybe. The reason zamal can make a good outdoor strain is that to some degree it is an autoflowerer. If the plant gets heavily rootbound or stressed even when it is quite small it will start to flower under 24 hours of light though the flowers would be very thin. However plants started earlier finish earlier. I start my plants in february under 24 hrs of light. The first thre years I only transplant the first 50% to sex. Now the plants consistently show their sex on primordia at the 5-6th node. I have yet to have one go past oct 31st. Though I've never grown the afropips malawi inside and out the gn zamal is a cakewalk compared to any malawi I've grown. Indoors compared to a malawi it produces a tighter bud that matures more evenly and is more controllable in height. The flavor also comes out a lot more indoors than a malawi. I don't want this to be taken that I'm saying the zamal is an easy one to do indoors or out but compared to a malawi it is and personally I like the bud more. I also must say the shortest night of the year where I live isa little less than 9 and a half hours. Many plants flower too early here so I try to go for plants with long flowering/short trigger and that stretch a lot after the first flower is formed. Plants like this when grown at my latitude can spend to 3-5 months producing bud and less time producing vegetative growth. In the case of the zamal it will start flowering in the end of june/beginning of july when the nights are about 9:30 to 9:45. Anf flower until october 21st and flower about 3 1/2 months (though this is about 14 weeks when flowere indoor under12/12 it only spend 11 weeks actually producing flowers with about 3 weeks of trigger time to switch over).

T

THCV

excellent info zamalito, thanks so much. Can you describe the difference in high between these THCV strains and shorter-flowering, non-THCV strains? How different is it compared to a high-THC, low-CBD sativa?

zamalito

Veteran
After you smoke your malawi you will know it better than I could describe but I'l try. The main trait is the immediate effect upon exhaling you'll feel it. The high is relatively short acting and you can get a tolerance to them but they do tend to have a high ceiling. I really like the less paranoid yet energetic and cerebral nature of the buzz also. A strain that is over 60-75% thcv might be a little to weak for most tastes but the ghanaian wich are supposed to be very high thcv is consistently liked more than the sour diesel even by less experienced smokers though on top of having high thcv it is also quite potent having large amounts of both thc and thcv. Many africans also have cbc which is mostly found in leaf tissue and much less in the resin glands. Again I don't want to say I know about this for sure as I've never done a cannabinoid test. A typical pure high thc sativa with cbd as the dominant accessory cannabinoid should be a very creeping long acting high. It's interesting to note the high cbd levels of the greenhouse seeds sativas if you look them up at seedboutique. This chemotype expressed in the newer greenhouse strains is almost on the exact opposite end of the spectrum for sativas. I personally feel the plants with very low levels of accessory cannabinoids but very hgih delta 9 thc are suprisingly the modern indoor indica type strains that are very strong after up to 4-6 bong hits but plateau around that point and are mostly sedative and a tolerance can be developed. The test kits will help immensely with breeding projects and grasping firmly what exactly is going on with chemotype and high.

spicecowboy

Zamalito!

The way you describe the turn of the Malawi is exactly what I would expect from a bud with high THCV content.

It´s that one hit wonder shit, that kicks you up right there, but the high is short lived.

I heard that not only tropical Sativas can contain a high percentage of THCV, but also

Afghani Indicas(police found around 60% of THCV in some fine Afghani hash)...

Peace,

spice

zamalito

Veteran
Alright I just purchased a small pack of tests. Hopefully others will follow this example and we can create a large collection of landrace and ibl results. I have a stash of accra skunk and acapulco that I can use to test as soon as they arrive but the main reason I purchased them was for harvest time this fall. The problem with many of the high thcv afghans is they have high cbn (variable on harvest time among other things) and high cbd. As far as inheritance of high thcv traits malawis can be quite dominant if used as the ovum donor (mother) in a cross. It will vary some based on what it's crossed to but if it's a typical high thcv malawi it should have a very noticeable thcv content in the f1 though not as much as the pure malawi.

T

THCV

zamalito, that's awesome news that you bought the tests. Let us know how difficult it is. I love the idea of a collection of results! I guess JPEGs of the test strip will be the format for the database elements; I couldn't discern any numerical data from the demo video; it looked like you just end up with dots on the paper that reflect relative chemical levels.

Great point about the afghans. I think the high CBD could crush the THCV high enough to negate the "up" effect, and that's why we don't all talk about the amazing THCV high of those strains. That said, it would seem that combining high THCV, for an instant-on high, with a decent CBD level to help maintain the longevity of the plain-old THC high could be ideal; maybe a cross between a Malawi and a nice heavy indica, say Romulan, with the Malawi as the mom. Afropips' crosses look better and better--Malawi x White Russian and Malawi x Blueberry both look promising on the more-of-everything front.

Man will it be fascinating to see the results of the tests!

T

THCV

now that i think about it, it appears that Afropips makes his Malawi crosses with a Malawi male. Zamalito, do you think that means less inheritance of THCV in those crosses?

I saw Afropips has Malawi 99 on Seedbay, sounds like a great up high to me.

zamalito

Veteran
That's a really good idea about the afghans and I'm quite glad you though of it. With the cannalyze we'll be able to tell which ones have a good thcv content for breeding. Hopefully I'll have some deep chunk samples soon to test. If so I'd go with a deep chunk x ghana gold, accra skunk or senegalese. Those are better than my malawian strains but hopefully I'll have the afropips malawi version soon which no doubt is quite nice.

I've never bred with a malawi male unless making more malawi seeds. I don't know for certain but I'm thinking afropips used a malawi male to make the offspring more manageable and closer to 50/50 from the parents. The f1's ive made with malawi females and short statured indicas are still very hard to control for height indoors but mature nicely at about 10 weeks inside or the end of october when started outside in mid-late may. They also tend to have an odor flavor and high very similar to their african mothers. Using a malawi male would probably make these much more easy to handle height wise. As far as the high I really wouldn't want to guess. But I can say that afropips is a skilled breeder and I don't think he'd make a malawi cross unless the malawi contributed something to the high. I also like the idea of taking a photo for the database. I need to get a digital camera though.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
ok Im pretty much with you on everything except type? i.e. "Type 4"
if anyone can enlighten me ... I will be enlightened!

Peace

zamalito

Veteran
Type 1- true drug types includes low latitude sativas and some central asian indicas indicas with resin content of higher thc and less than .5% cbd

Type 2- most mid latitude sativas and indicas not of type 1. Intermediate thc content less than 2% and over .5% and more than .5% cbd some are drug type most are fiber strains and some are only useable for seed production.

Type 3 high latitude sativas mostly of the fiber type and ruderalis thc under .3% and cbd more than .3%

Type 4 high levels of accesory or propyl propyl cannabinoids (cbv, thcv etc) which have a 3 carbon chain as opposed to the more common pentyl cannabinoids which have a 5 carbon chain (cbn, cbd, thc etc). These are almost always fairly exotic or rare varieties. I feel that these may be an unknown part of the history of the spred of cannabis. Kind of like how type O blood only occurs in humans with african or irish ancestry or how every hebrew word has a gaelic root.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Zam. ~ Nice one ... thanks for explaining ...
Whose system is this? who decided the types lol
at the moment I see you seem to be interested in type 4's then?lol

Peace

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
E. Small was the author who first used the typing system but he considered type 4's as high accessory cannabinoid including cbg (precurser to thc and cbd) strains. Mel frank uses the criteria that I put in the last post.