What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Theory about oil color and density

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,
Most of my extractions are done with my plants. The plants that I grow are from outdoor growing and most of them sativas, sativa hybrids or landrace. On my lasts 30 extractions I use the same equipment. The most significant detail from my equipment is the lab filter. Right know I’m using 38-43 micron hole paper filter.
The result from my extractions is an oil quite liquid (if I don’t do any post process).
The color of the oil depends on the variety, or at least that was what I thought.
On my last grow, due to different problems, I had to cut all the plants at the same time and many of them were ready and some weren’t (even from the same variety).
I made 2 extraction with 2 different plants from the same variety and I mention that the oil from the mature plant was darker the other.
Last weekend I’ve been with some friends of ACE Seeds and I made an extraction with their grass. We use some indoor grass. The result was an oil much more dense.
So, those are my conclusions:

- Indoor plants or indica -> dense oil
- Outdoor plants or sativa -> liquid oil
- Mature plants -> dark oil
- Not mature plants -> clear oil

Shalom.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
part of that is correct, but part is not always true tho bro.

maturer plants darker oil yes. not mature lighter colored, also most indicas are darker, and sativas even mature may be a nice golden , where many indicas are a dark red.

i am not sure where the liquid oil comes from. i know if i take well grown buds, indoor or outdoor, indica or sativa immature or done, and i can always get rock hard oil from them that will shatter if dropped on something hard. runny oil often comes from contaminants it seems, in the weed. or making it from leaves it is less hard.

i am talking using butane.

are you too?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I think that's just regular oil and not jelly. Almost all of my oil turns hard also. I've never really found that maturity or strain affects the hardeness of the oil. What butane u use Gman?

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,
I was talking using colibri butane, HMK and Chief.
I never got hard oil like the one that you show HMK but, at least in appearance, the same quality.
If it's like you said HMK, the only difference should be the paper diameter hole (talking about hardness).
I don't know wich diameter hole has the papper coffee filter but I mention that the filters from the BHO tubes that Chief is selling are 120 microns so could be that bigger diameter hole makes harder oil.
Don't you think?
Shalom.

jimbob420

why still making oil

why still making oil

I don't understand why you wouldn't go the extra step and use tug's method to budder up that oil?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
GrassMan said:
Hi,
I was talking using colibri butane, HMK and Chief.
I never got hard oil like the one that you show HMK but, at least in appearance, the same quality.
If it's like you said HMK, the only difference should be the paper diameter hole (talking about hardness).
I don't know wich diameter hole has the papper coffee filter but I mention that the filters from the BHO tubes that Chief is selling are 120 microns so could be that bigger diameter hole makes harder oil.
Don't you think?
Shalom.

no man i dont think that :)

its just from using whole buds not crushed up too much. thats what gives rock hard oil. leaf and or grinding up plant material to be extracted makes it runny.
its non thcs being extracted that do it.

G

i've noticed its all in the processing....after the tane has boiled off, if you use a heat source(hair dryer, torch) and not scrape the oil and heat for 5-8 minutes, you'll always get a harder oil....if you scrape right away, and don't use a heat source for final purge I notice the oil is runny

Buzz Kronic

HMK nice hard candy there as always. high there Cheif and Hippy I must agree that nice bud always makes the best oil BHO or QWISO recently I was down to a big bag o trim and made a batch of QWISO out of it it was runny and tasted green :frown: its OK to eat in caps but I cant smoke that shit. Latley I have been doing some thing a little diferent. I have been useing fresh bud right off the plant and doing a 2 min ISO quick wash.A qp of fresh bud yealds about the same as a oz of dry. the taste is spectacular you can tell by taste what breed it came from. any one else do this or tryed it with butane ?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
nice pic..

hi buzz

851oilage2.jpg

Sub Nl

Hi,

I think oil colour is more complex than that.

I bought a load of C-13 (g-13 haze X neville haze X cannaloupe haze aka near 100% sativa) shake from grey area. made BHO from it. turned out like 24 carot gold colour. looked like goldflakes when light bounced off it. Pure sativa oil directly impacts on your feeling of greatness. feeling good about me, you, world etc..

Honey oil i've made from pure flowers from shiva and blueberry was bee honey colour (mild yellow) in apperance, but not as radiant. the indica influence in these two strains made the oil into K.O. OIL, i some hotknifes at 7pm, fell asleep at 8pm. woke up at 4am, WTF?

BHO from G-13 Haze X Hashplant produced dark coloured oil. But i don't know if that's because i only had 2 bowls so re-extracted to same 2 bowls twice. after 40 mins evap in boiling water. popping bubbles and letting butane extraction happen as slowly as possible.

Maybe indicas in oil affects BHO colour?
Maybe density of oil affects colour?
Viscosity?
Temperature?
Speed of which butane passes through tube?
2nd wash mixed with 1st?

All i know is to make BHO from sativas, and i usually mix it with Kif to make jellyhash, just so i can fucking handle the oil. it's superglue once it's out the freezer 30 secs.

sub

Last edited:
G

The only experince I can add is.

The looser packed the material whether trim or bud the lighter the oil color, I'm guessing since the butane does not stay in contact with the material . I have noticed the more packed the tube, the darker the oil gets.

Putting on a heat mat or in hot/boiling water after extractions for about an hour will harden the heck out of the oil, to the point of being like glass.

Only been doing extractions about a dozen times, but this is what I noticed.

DS

jimbob420

If you are having a hard time handling your oil, just keep heating and stirring it up until it goes back to a kif/really good bubble hash like consistancy. I think until you have done this there is always something else left in the mix

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Sub Nl said:
Hi,

I think oil colour is more complex than that.

I bought a load of C-13 (g-13 haze X neville haze X cannaloupe haze aka near 100% sativa) shake from grey area. made BHO from it. turned out like 24 carot gold colour. looked like goldflakes when light bounced off it. Pure sativa oil directly impacts on your feeling of greatness. feeling good about me, you, world etc..

Honey oil i've made from pure flowers from shiva and blueberry was bee honey colour (mild yellow) in apperance, but not as radiant. the indica influence in these two strains made the oil into K.O. OIL, i some hotknifes at 7pm, fell asleep at 8pm. woke up at 4am, WTF?

BHO from G-13 Haze X Hashplant produced dark coloured oil. But i don't know if that's because i only had 2 bowls so re-extracted to same 2 bowls twice. after 40 mins evap in boiling water. popping bubbles and letting butane extraction happen as slowly as possible.

Maybe indicas in oil affects BHO colour?
Maybe density of oil affects colour?
Viscosity?
Temperature?
Speed of which butane passes through tube?
2nd wash mixed with 1st?

All i know is to make BHO from sativas, and i usually mix it with Kif to make jellyhash, just so i can fucking handle the oil. it's superglue once it's out the freezer 30 secs.

sub

more complex than what. did you read my first post?

indicas can be red or darker in general than sativas,which are almost always golden.

2nd washes always darker.

another most important factor you are missing, is the quality and ground up-edness of the material used. not broken up leaf or buds gives lighter oils... the more particulated, the darker the oil.. with yucky green atributes even :( bud always give lighter colored oil than leaf, and even lighter than the purest kif i have made into oil.

Sub Nl

Hashmaster-kut, what you say makes sense. And i tend to agree with you totally apart from one small detail.

You mention that liquid oil must come from leaf shake, or contaminents. I think all oil is liquid. like glass is liquid, just takes years to pour. maybe the green is some ground up particles going through screen of blowing in off side of extractor?

you've always had to heat it to make it runny enough to coat rizlas, or freeze it to work with it. I mentioned i mix mine with keef just so i can work with it. BHO is so sticky it frustrates me like when i was a kid and couldn't hammer pegs into wrong holes.

but i don't know everything,..all i know now is that i haven't had any red oil for good reason. boo indicas. hope this stoney post made sense, contributed to discussion somehow.

sin sub

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
ya you are right, liquid like glass i agree.

i am not sure what constituents butane leaches from a leaf sample other than thc, but it does for sure, right through double thick paper coffee filter... its some kind of extract...plant oil or something that is not from the glands, and tastes yucky! :D

Latest posts

Latest posts