What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Everybody post your BEST or MOST PREFERRED soil mix recipe(s)

G

I just want to get everybody's best/most preferred soil recipes, with amounts of fertilizer (in [tablespoons/teaspoons] per [gallon] format) and percentages of anything major such as wormcastings/coir/perlite/ect so I can put all of them into my notes for organic soil mixes. Thanks so much

Last edited:
S

strain_searcher

Ill keep its simple EB STONE 100% ORGANIC AND HAS EVERYTYHING YOU GUYS MIX IN AND MORE. I like to mix in some extra perlite because its a very rich soil. Kind of takes all the fun out of mixing you own soil or nutes though. :wave:

Last edited:
G

Thanks ss.

C'mon, there has to be more people out there in this forum...ICMag, don't let me down........

Skunkenstein

Black Gold is a local prepared soil that I just adore..I always add too it though..hehe!! Per/gal Mix=3qrts BG 2Cups Perlte,2cupsWormcasings.Ammendments=Bone Meal,Kelp Meal,Greensand,Epsom Salt, Hi-N Bat all at 1tbs/gal.I also use Mycho.Fungi@1tsp/gal.and just a small amount of h20 crystalls...1/2tsp/gal.I generally Do Not use lime in the mix because the black gold is already ph'ed,and thats why I pay the big money per/bag.This is really the early veg mix.I always transplant too bigger containers.Then I will add soft rock,and Hi-P bat.Each time they are transplanted,I will give them enough time to use up most of the available nutes before adding something bottled.I've been keeping accurate records for quite a few years now.And it seems like after 3weeks of vigorous growth,they need some liquid ferts.I always incorporate liquid Karma and I have too Ph down all my water,it's about 8.0 on the meter. I bring it to 6.0.

G

heres my mix shibby, I like to keep it simple

1 part Earthworm Castings
1 part Sphagnum Peat Moss
1 part Perlite

For every gallon of mix I add:

1 teaspoon Dolomite Lime
1 teaspoon Epsom Salt

Everything else I give my babies comes from a bottle.

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Hummus
Perlite (about 30% of my mix)

1 TBS Bloodmeal
1 TBS Kelp meal
2 TBS Dolomite Lime
2 TBS Bone meal
(per gallon)

Ferts:
Worm castings, added to my water weekly during veg

Potash and Triple Phosphate added to my water every other week during flower

Stop ferts 2 to 3 weeks before harvest

Last edited:
G

Guest 10952

1/2 bag of pro-mix #1
1/3 bag of Foxfarm Guano mix
1/3 bag of FoxFarm Ocean Forest
1/3 10lb bag of Earth Worm Castings
1/4 small bag of Guano Co. Tea Mix
1 cup of lime
And a few other things like 2 cups of Polymer.
Good luck man.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Base:

1/2 Regular Organic Potting Soil
1/4 Perlite
1/4 Worm Castings

Admendments:(Per Gallon)

2 ts Plant-Tone (5-3-3) (N,P,K and micro-nutrients)
1 ts Epsom Plus (0-0-22) (Mg, Calcium, and K source)
2 ts Green Sand (0-0-1) (K source)
1 ts Indonesian Bat Guano (0-12-0) (P source, mixed at bottom of pot)
2 ts Lime (PH)
2 ts Gypsum (Soil Conditioner)

*feed with Bio-Bloom and Guano Tea in flowering (P source)

Last edited:

muddy waters

25% worm castings
25% fine coco coir
25% construction sand (washed)
25% vermiculite

can't give you per gallon measurements because i don't work in gallons, but i add to that:

camphor bean waste (N)
raw bone meal (P)
wood ash (K)
dolomite lime (pH & Mg/Ca)

then i water with:

diluted urine 10:1 (N & micronutes)
epsom salts
castings tea
comfrey, chamomile, and alfalfa teas
kelp tea
diluted coca cola (P)

these are all items you can find pretty much anywhere on the planet, unlike brand x this or bottled gold that. enjoy.

G

Coco fiber
Peat moss
perlite
pumice
My home made compost
Leaf mulch (moldy)
Worm castings
Bat guano
Kelp Meal
Fish bone meal
Soybean meal
Prilled rock phosphate
Feather meal
Greensand
Leonardite- be easy
Alfalfa meal
Oyster shell flour
Glacial rock dust

once your mix is well stirred activate it will a 1/4cup of molasses to 1 gal. warm water.
This makes an excellant organic mix.

Seed

S

Space Ghost

I use

1 part black gold organic
1 part coco fiber
1 part castings
2 parts perlite

Also, spreading seed, I would stop using the soybean mean because soybeans have several growth inhibitors.

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Great thread you got here Shibby Dobbins.

I've started to go organic and am completly switching over for my next grow. This thread was just what I needed to make up my mind on how I'm going to prepare my next mix.
My current grow I've been using Terracycle worm casting tea and the plants just love it, it was a great addition to my fish ferts.

My new mix will be:
Seaweed Soil
Shrimp based Soil
Dolomite Lime
Epson Salts
Worm Castings
Bone Meal
Lotsa Lotsa Perlite

illuminatus said:
"I hope I never have to smoke your weed" you and that sick ****** hemphead jack,,, peeing on weed... p-dub. It's people like you that make me shudder before taking a hit of weed bought off the street. lol . Please just quit being a cheap ass gross ass hippy, :pointlaug just buy the pure blend pro - you know you want some, and I don't care what kind of poop factory you think you got going, but i'll gurantee It's no where near the poop factory that botanicare has, so give it up backyard poop-chemist, just buy some shit from someone smarter than you. -and richer $$ cha-ching! ..

Anybody that's ever read any kind of book on organics or composting has a clue on this shit. **** comfrey. especially **** stinging nettle's, **** blackstrap mollasses too, you cheap bastards. There no excuse for using urine on mj.

It's a shame when people come around and ruin great threads.
If you can't be open minded and mature enough to deal with how someone else chooses how to grow their OWN weed then maybe you shouldn't be posting.

Urine (not poop-chemist) is the worlds oldest organic fertilizer. Deal with it. Urine is sterile.

So go spend your hard earned money illuminatus, I hope you never get to smoke my weed either, cuz I'm with Muddy Waters and old Hippy Jack on this one.

Sorry for any intrusion to your thread shibby

On with the organic mixes guys!

G

Fox farms Ocean Forest blend -
dolomite lime 2Tbl per/gal -
30% perilite.
Mychoriza

Im on a toss up weather to add alll thease adtives i use to add.

Why supplemnt N-P-K with amendments in your soil, when your giving them to your plant in their feedings.

I use to think it would make sure the plant had food avaliable in cases were it was lacking a perticular nutrient, Now im more thinking it just puts excess food in the soil that isnt needed.

I do understand the vast benifits from creating an alive soil with microbes and benificial fungi wich is a reason to add something like kelp meal wich helps that porcess as well as providing i think something like 16 mico nutes.

But really now - ( sorry to use u as an example_Spreading Seed)
Coco fiber
Peat moss
perlite
pumice
My home made compost
Leaf mulch (moldy)
Worm castings
Bat guano
Kelp Meal
Fish bone meal
Soybean meal
Prilled rock phosphate
Feather meal
Greensand
Leonardite- be easy
Alfalfa meal
Oyster shell flour
Glacial rock dust

Thats alot of additives and with that manny supplemnts for npk thers enough avaliable sources breaking down to provide the plant with what it needs threw all stages of growth with no extra feedings.

My other problem with all the additives the plant already has avaliable nutes in the soil that are breaking down at diffrent rates,that you cant really monitor, you can write down when you added the amendments and find out how long it takes to become avaliable to the plant and how long it will be avaliable in the soil and keep track of it, but that seams like a little to much work to me.

Just all seams like some guessing game id rather not be playing when my minimal soil mixture plus a good feeding regiment with plenty of varying forms of foods has yeilded great results.

So for me it just seams like all thease additives can and do have their places but just not mabie so much in our maryj garden. i go crazy with the stuff outside for my flowerrs tho. I just like to feel i have things going on a little more precisly with feeding my girls

Last but not least some of thease things we use have a long lifespan in our soil releasing their nutes, SOoo when in comes to flushing i feel like im pissing in the wind because even tho i am flushing the plant i am also making some nutes more avalible to the plant by breaking them down and mobilizing them with the water.

Ive grown in soil un amended and amended both ways good, but ive only had problems arise from amending the soil ex worm castings being found by 2 big sour bubbles 2 weeks from harvest, guess the flush made the nutes more readily avalible and well the plants burnt them selfs to a horrible state.

Any thoughts.?

G

Hi MM,
My soil is extreme! lol. But believe me, I need some additives thru out the year. This isn't a suppliment recipe....its a soil recipe. I know whats in it with no guessing games. Thru out the year I feed the soil, not the plant. Mycoorihzae and micobes need feeding once a week. Hittem with molasses. Keep them happy and your plants will be happy.

Check out the gardening thread...and also the giant pumpkin thread.

Seed

G

I add too much crap. I got a buddy getting 40grams a plant using nothing more than:

1/3 FoxFarm Ocean Forest
1/3 Coco Fiber
1/3 Perlite
Plant Success (Myco Fungi) with transplant

RO Water with PBP, Hygrozyme, Budswell and Sweet.

It's fucking amazing. I'm retrofitting my entire garden. Goodbye Lime, Greensand, Gypsum, Bloodmeal, Bonemeal, Kelpmeal, Guano, Wormcastings, etc...

He clones under flouros, vegges 2-4 weeks under T-5's or 400w MH, then blooms under 1000w HPS. I wanna say about 16 plants per light. Too busy picking my jaw up off the floor to get an exact count.

I'm definitely thinking simpler is better.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
Nutes- Guano tea and kelp.
Burn1

Last edited:
G

lavender-
Here are organic mixes and recipes I have tried with success...
Here are some very good organic soiless mixes...

LC’s Soiless Mix #1:
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
...Check the link in my sig line below for cheap earthworm castings. Free shipping to the eastern USA.

Or, if you use Pro Mix or Sunshine Mix...
LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.

RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.

RECIPE #2
If you want to use guano in your soil mix...
Bongaloids guano mix
1/3C hi N guano per gallon
1/2C hi Phos guano per gallon
1TBS Jersey greensand per gallon
1TBS Kelp meal per gallon

RECIPE #3 (My favorite)
If you want to use guano tea and kelp...

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

Veg mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
1 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
2 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
@ 2 cups/5 gallons of water EVERY watering.
You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.
Vic High (BCGA) suggests his Super Soil mix:

Original recipe:

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix
2 L Bone Meal - phosphorus source
1L Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
1/2 - 1 bag chicken manure (steer, mushroom, etc) - nitrogen & trace elements
Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.

Revised recipe - after several failures due to bad manure sources, I now use the following recipe. Results have been excellent and the clones seem to take off right away instead of having a slow growing settling in period.

1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolmite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
4 cups kelp meal.
9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

Mix thoroughly, moisten, and let sit 1-2 weeks before use.

Substitutions - The original recipe was a success, but I simply needed to experiment. In addition, sometimes not all ingredients were always available. Therefore, here are some possible additions and/or substitutions.

simple and sweet:no liquid ferts needed ever! seed to harvest

for a 3x3 hole: using foxfarm

1 bag ocean forest
1 bag light warrior
1 bag planting mix

1/6 of the big bag of foxfarm chunky perlite

using this method this is what i have now, 6 holes here, the plants are 6ft tall

G

one 5kg bale botaniicare coco(rinsed and hydrated)
2G worm castings
4G perlite(or hydroton rocks)
2C gypsum
2C dolomite lime
2C soft rock phosophate
2C kelp meal
2C greensand

Very airy and alive. Just feed how you like the rest of the way.

Cheers,
SH

BabyHughie

dan woody said:
Substitutions - The original recipe was a success, but I simply needed to experiment. In addition, sometimes not all ingredients were always available. Therefore, here are some possible additions and/or substitutions.

Hey dan thanks alot for saving that info. You just helped me out in a BIG way!

You don't happen to have the rest of it thought do ya? Kinda left us with a bit of a cliffhanger... :wink:

'On the next episode of Growing Organic with Dan Woody, find out about possible additions or substitutions for many of the ingredients needed to make a killer potting mix...stay tuned'

Dan if you have the rest of that, PLEASE post it up!!! Thanks. :D