What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vavilov, Afghan Sativas, and Uzbeki Giants

guineapig

Veteran
ask and ye shall receive.....thank you Insane!!!!

this thread is truly amazing....

:ying: kind regards from gp :ying:

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
hey, pretty interesting pic ! these look small indeed. Which place in Romania is that Insane ?

Irie !

G

Hi, those look very similar to the plants I saw in Hungary

I think Hungarian ruderalis may have been used in some of the Dutch strains with ruderalis in

(Mriko - yes the history of Buddhism is immense and I was being vague more out of laziness than haziness - intention was to convey effect rather than fact, as it were...)

G

mriko said:
hey, pretty interesting pic ! these look small indeed. Which place in Romania is that Insane?
No idea. It's from the German Wikipedia, sub voce "Ruderalhanf". Perhaps it's traceable through the article history log. A rather good article, if memory serves.

G

very intersting thread !

easter Europ and western asia was the world's center for a few milleniums.That's where mediteraneean, chinese, mongolian as well as indian civilizations met.The road of silk, with its center in aghanistan (mazar is sharif) is a great example of that. Imo the mongolian and the celts played the major part.They both spread through the whole europe-asian continent.
We european/american people often overlook the caucasian regions because we lack of knowledge.Looking at the history of horse breeding gives a nice impression of the way the celts and mongolians' exchanges happened.It's obvious that caucase was the center of this meeting. (kazhakstan).
Therefore I can only imagine that people have been breeding cannabis forever.And of course caucase/north india was the place where the chinese, mongolian, hungarian, lebanese, indian and even african strains met.
Looking at how much interest and love we put into growing and nowing this plant (under governemental pressure), I can only imagine that people put more than us because they were free to do it; imo the strong THC varieties we call landraces are the result of milleniums of breeding.Even when growing "pure" strains like afghani , you sometimes find a pheno that looks like a mutant because it's different from what we know.for ie those indicas with huge leaves that stretch like crazy and produce some very weird , too potent buds (couchlock+headache).
the varieties we know may only be different phenos of cannabis; otherwise something like finding a sativa pheno in hash plant couldn't happen.If , in a family of white people, you end up with a black kid ...:)

I can also imagine that the best plants/phenos were actually kept secret by local populations and shamans, since owning them may have provided power.Some people have brought back some afghan seeds in the 60's and 70's, it doesn't mean they brought the bests.We only know very little imo.
I hope my bad english skills let you understand what I meant: the governments' pressure makes us concentrate on technology for growing and forces us to make nature's selective process something drastic (no room nor time nor risk for a plant we're not sure of).
IF antique civilazations (babylonians) were able to invent hydroponics I cant see why the whole world would not have been breeding the plant like we do...even better than we do because there was no pressure.

G

Good question muddy, I was going to ask the same thing, they all look interesting.

Regarding central europe, ruderalis type plants exist in Moravia, part of the Czech Republic. They are descended from the Scythian cannabis seeds planted there by the romans centuries ago. I have been gifted a quantity of these seeds and will be test growing them shortly. They finish in late August and the largest individuals are 3-4 foot with some being only a foot tall. There is a local tradition of making charas from them and the charas does get you high but isn't that strong. I don;t think they are technically ruderalis, rather an acclimated descendant of an iranian type indica as the scythians came from that area and around the Black Sea.

I'll know exactly the characteristics of this cultivar and whether it has ruderalis traits soon, I;m interested to see if it autoflowers and what the potency is like, my friend who collected the seeds says the plants are more potent than you may expect but not by much, I am interested in seeing the results of crossing this cultivar to things like Herijuana, the main interest being that this cultivar is fully acclimated to northern europe and therefore may be a good building block for some early finishing outdoor strains.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello muddy :D man, if it were not for you talking about lebanese i would have forgotten the seeds i was germing lol... got 10seeds of lebanese by bluehemp recently, ordered right after the war in israel/palestine had started. the place where i ordered from messed up the order though, and although they sent me the lebanese, they did not send the nepali i had also ordered and instead sent some 'dark vader' hybrid, crap... it's all good anyway... i am guessing the lebanese will grow strangely due to local photoperiod, but we'll see. one love everyone.

C

Chamba

btw re : indica and India

From the time of the British Occupation of India until prior to the Partition in 1947, Pakistan was regarded as part of India.

G

I'm going to order the Nepali from Bluehemp for sure and am undecided whether to get the Dark Kush or Pakistani. The Nepali in their picture has really thin leaves, as has the Pakistani. The Kush appeals to me as I've always wanted a landrace Afghan indica type. I fancy getting some of their Lebanese too and making a big batch of seeds for outdoors next year, love to have a loads of small hash plants then I can make my own Lebanese hash.

zamalito

Veteran
Mriko, check out docleaf's chitral thread. In it I quote rc clarke concerning sativas being the hash plant in chitral until the late 70's

muddy waters

paz, companero, tambien quiero expresar mi solidariedad con libano :)

did you order straight from bluehemp? and they screwed up? i was thinking of ordering lebanese and nepali from them. btw that dark vader is dark kush x afghani backcrossed to the kush, probably a pretty nice 100% indica as well, and it's more expensive than the others so you actually got a nice deal... haha

so will you post us some shots when the lebanese are flowering bro? atta boy!

one love

muddy waters

Hempire, I just got the bluehemp seedstock pdf emailed to me and the pakistani is nowhere to be found. Perhaps they're out of it. I'm seriously thinking about the Lebanese and the Nepali, they sell them in 5 packs for 15 euros for poor bums like me. Anyone got any input on whether it's worth it to buy 5 landrace seeds--ie am I risking a substandard F2 or F1 generation with only 5 specimens?

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
muddy man, solidaridad con el libano :D true that.
the order was not placed directly from bluehemp, last time i tried to
they didn't seem to be sending out. i got them from an austrian site,
i sent in full payment in cash and got the seeds over a month later,
the 3 lebanese that were planted into the ground have not came through the soil yet.
will show pics for sure if all things go well :D
peace!

edit, btw, i wanted nepali, not dark vader, does not matter if it costs more or less, u know, it is the principle of a fair trade, i pay you for apples, i don't expect grapes, u know, kind of kooky. :yoinks: think of nepal, think of buddha, now think of dark vader, dark side of the force, no!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Last edited:

muddy waters

hahahah that made me laugh paz... bueno... when i get the nepali from them and make F2s we'll be in touch. don't succumb to the dark side! or maybe succumb. i'm tellin ya it sounds pretty tasty :)

G

muddy waters said:
ie am I risking a substandard F2 or F1 generation with only 5 specimens?

probably.. but even if you grew out a bunch of them theres always room for improvement.

ID do it with 5 seeds understanding that finding a keeper later on will be that much more difficult from such a narrow selection. but those 5 seeds you have could be the best there is just as easy as they could be average...

still your bound to find adequate representation for the strain down the line...

something like in the breeder description pics :D

C

Chamba

Anyone got any input on whether it's worth it to buy 5 landrace seeds--ie am I risking a substandard F2 or F1 generation with only 5 specimens?

I suggest you buy 10 seeds of one strain and not 2 strains/5 seeds if your goal is producing seed them

but if you just want to have a look at them..buy the two strains and next for next sell a guitar and buy 10 or 20 seeds of the strain that works for you.

if moneys is very tight..buy 5 take clones, hope for at least two females or males cross them all...and then have fun growing out the seeds

G

I suggest you buy 10 seeds of one strain and not 2 strains/5 seeds if your goal is producing seed them

Yes I would definitely go for the more seeds if your planning on inbreeding. 5 is not going to give you much to choose within. Be better to use ten seeds, grow them all and let all the males pollinate all the females.

Peace, hhf