What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are cuts from a revegged plant fine? Any downside?

Smelly_Cheese

long story short. I have 10 females in flower. I no longer can have a seperate veg room so i have no cuts off these(all from seed and my numbers are limited to 10 or less). I was hoping to take two of the best and leave a little growth at the end and revert them back to veg after harvest. Then after a while i should be able to take a few cuts, veg and flower again.

Does a reveg plant have any downsides such as
weaker growth? More herm prone?
Or is it just as good as any cut?
thanks for helping me!

WelderDan

Veteran
The C99 mom I have at the the moment is a re-veg and it's bushy as can be. I've taken several cuts, about to take more.

The only issue is that they sometimes take a while to truly revert to a veg stage. Mine is still showing lots of pisitils and looks like it hasn't fully reverted, and it's been on a 24/0 light schedule for months.

But she is growing new shoots like mad and shows no sign of herms.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Greenheart

Veteran
The only issue is that they sometimes take a while to truly revert to a veg stage. Mine is still showing lots of pisitils and looks like it hasn't fully reverted, and it's been on a 24/0 light schedule for months.
That sums it pretty well in my experience also.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
long story short. I have 10 females in flower. I no longer can have a seperate veg room so i have no cuts off these(all from seed and my numbers are limited to 10 or less). I was hoping to take two of the best and leave a little growth at the end and revert them back to veg after harvest. Then after a while i should be able to take a few cuts, veg and flower again.

Does a reveg plant have any downsides such as
weaker growth? More herm prone?
Or is it just as good as any cut?
thanks for helping me!

you might find that if you change the photo period to 18/6 you'll notice that it will slowly stop showing hairs after a few weeks..i had a similar problem a few years back but i gave it slightly more nitrogen and 18/6 and she bounce right back.....good luck smelly_cheese

T

thesloppy

I've also taken some cuts from a mom that was taken as a cut from a plant 2 weeks into bloom, and then re-veged after she rooted. As WelderDan noted, the resulting clones have been notably bushier than those that were taken from a non re-veged mom, though I can't say for certain if they yield anymore, as they also appear squatter in build. No hermie issues though, and no problems cloning, or otherwise.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Long story short. You can't change genetics by taking cuts. Genes stay the same.

Double F

make sure the plant is fully re-veg'd..there is some debate as to whether you can breed with re-veg'd plants some think it stresses the mother out too much..

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I have seen clones that are 20+ year old original cuts...sometimes Phenotype Shift from revegging....99% of the time when I reveg from seed I never have any problems

Proper

Depending on how far along in flowering it is, it could have a really hard time revegging, but it will eventually. 3+ weeks flowering is bad. First it will take much longer to root but when it finally does expect slow and mutated growth. Xplanting on time is the fastest way to get the plant out of this mutated stage. Eventually (after 1-2 months of veg) the plant will go completely back to normal. It does make the plant more liable to hermie if the pheno is not resistant to that.

Double F

there are always exceptions to the norm, and vice versa...

the standard way many people keep genetics alive here is to run their mothers in cycle.

original clone -- yield thousands of cuts, of which the second generation mother is obtained, and so on through the years.

my friend has a Bubba Kush cut that he has done this with for 10 years, always taking clones from his current batch of plants right before flower, and using those clones to mother out for the next generation.

his crops have experianced no genetic drift, still has same vigor, smell, frost, etc...

other growers have done the same with a Skunk 1 strain, it worked for about 5 years and then the original mother started producing subpar progeny. they had to backcross healthy clones with a reversed male to get find a new mother with the proper vigor, etc..

which leads me to believe that its better to take clones from plants each year...a mother plant that has been living for 2 years is stressed out, old, rootbound, been pruned dozens and dozens of times. if she is thrown into flower, the resulting product is usually not as good as a fresh clone. which makes me believe that clones taken from her will also be weak.

all of this is open to debate, i am by no means claiming to know everything about this...i always welcome debate if its true and changes my understanding of things.

Double F

back to the subject...you will know for sure when your plant is reveg'd. it will have lush new growth, bright green, with zero signs of flowering. the old flowering branches will become hard and break off.

once the plant is back in veg and showing new green growth, i would give it 2-4 weeks of growth before taking a new round of clones. and perhaps keep one of those clones to save as a backup mother to the actual re-vegged plant because she is stressed.

Bloom

couple of my cuts are deformed, they have been in reveg for 30 days now, couple of the cuts only have single leaves, and frost all over... wild world of green growin!

gl!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rely on revegging now to keep clone numbers more manageable running test batches , very late flower or chop day clones with the stump as backup , can decide on the few promiseing ones at this late stage as the bud has been sampled.

These were chop day clones , looking like that bud in the second pic , a month of weirdness and a ton of clones 4 - 6 weeks later , no loss of quality seen or expected.

picture.php

picture.php

Those two ANT are back in flower now looking like a hedge , at least thirty good clones could have been taken from each one in a very small space , for six weeks of cfl veg and loseing a gramme of bud.

the old flowering branches will become hard and break off.

Thats the worst downside i find , odd lost limb along the way .

And mites can lurk unoticed in the buds to come out later , sometimes the old decaying bud can be a focus for mould and best carefully tweesered off once new shoots are obvious.

sso

Veteran
best way to speed up revegging as ive seen, is by roottrimming a bit.

you can leave just a nub of bud on the plant as long as you roottrim the (in soil) bottom to about 110% the size of the green (including stem)

but, if one wants to be 100% sure of the plant surviving, i leave as many fanleaves left as i can, and as many leaves as i can. (though generally i remove about 2/3 of the plant and almost strip the bottom of buds)

you dont have to leave much bud left, just a few small buds in "strategic" places,

and then the roottrim part, id take about 20% off the roots. this speeds up revegging by alot (ive seen a plant start to reveg in 2 days) (though as long as you have about 5-10% bigger rootmass than the top (accounting for soil) the plant should be fine)

(you can take the plant out of the container and slice it like a cake, though lately ive just stabbed the knife into the soil and cut off a part and stirred up the soil in that part, seems to work fine and no need of changing the soil even. though if im being unclear ya might wanna stick to the cakeslicing scenario :))

usually its about 2 weeks before the plant is fully reverted (meaning i could flower again with minimal results)

but i usually flower again a month after start of reveg (or can)

sso

Veteran
oh and revegged cuts are fine.

revegged plants are even better as mothers, since every bud you leave behind will shoot out plenty of shoots.

enough so that you will have to trim the plant most probably.

the smoke of a revegged flowering for the second time plant is the same or occasionally better (depending on how mature the plant was at first flowering)

ive revegged a few plants up to 4 times, 5 one time i think.

same quality smoke, only reason i scrapped them and started with clones from them, was because the plants were getting too big for my space (the stem, even with trimming, got a little higher each time (made up for by its width, well till the end)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree reveg is great. I do get some real bushy plants do to there strange growth in reveg..

Canada

with my experiences reveging cannabis ive found that after the plant has totally finished out its flowering cycle and brought completely back to veg (around 6 weeks before able to achieve a clone from it )that the clones taken from this new mother are always more busy the the mother plant that had already been flowered as-well the stretch period is drasticly changed by the way that the plants barley stretch at all .

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I so agree with the stretch being altered. I have a strain ive been running for years that i flowered the original, revegged and then used it for a mom an its 3 years old now. The original finished at around 3 ft, but now i have to veg yge cuts to the size i want them to finish at. So if i need 3 ft tall plants i have to veg till around 3 ft. Stretch doesnt exist on these. Just straight to bud.