What's new

L.E.A.P. (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran

Current and former members of law enforcement who support drug regulation rather than prohibition.

About LEAP

After nearly four decades of fueling the U.S. policy of a war on drugs with over half-a-trillion tax dollars and increasingly punitive policies, our confined population has quadrupled over a 20 years period making building prisons this nation's fastest growing industry. More than 2.2 million of our citizens are currently incarcerated and every year we arrest an additional 1.6 million for nonviolent drug offenses‹more per capita than any country in the world. The United States has 4.6 percent of the population of the world but 22.5 percent of the world's prisoners. Every year we choose to continue this war will cost U.S. taxpayers another 69 billion dollars. Despite all the lives we have destroyed and all the money so ill spent, today illicit drugs are cheaper, more potent, and far easier to get than they were 35 years ago at the beginning of the war on drugs. Meanwhile, people continue dying in our streets while drug barons and terrorists continue to grow richer than ever before. We would suggest that this scenario must be the very definition of a failed public policy. This madness must cease!

The stated U.S. drug policy goals of lessening the incidents of crime, drug addiction, and juvenile drug use, while stemming the flow of illegal drugs into this country, have not been achieved.
This failed policy of fighting a war on drugs has only magnified our problems but the U.S. still insists on continuing the war and pressuring other governments to perpetuate these same unworkable policies.

With this in mind, current and former members of law enforcement have created a drug-policy-reform group called LEAP.
The membership of LEAP believe that to save lives and lower the rates of disease, crime and addiction, as well as to conserve tax dollars, we must end drug prohibition.
LEAP believes a system of regulation and control is far more effective than one of prohibition.

The mission of LEAP is to reduce the multitude of harms resulting from fighting the war on drugs and to lessen the incidence of death, disease, crime, and addiction by ultimately ending drug prohibition.

LEAP's goals are:
(1) To educate the public, the media, and policy makers, to the failure of current drug policy by presenting a true picture of the history, causes and effects of drug use and the elevated crime rates‹more properly related to drug prohibition than to drug pharmacology‹and
(2) To restore the public's respect for police, which has been greatly diminished by law enforcement's involvement in imposing drug prohibition.

LEAP's main strategy for accomplishing these goals is to create a constantly enlarging speakers bureau staffed with knowledgeable and articulate former drug-warriors who describe the impact of current drug policies on: police/community relations; the safety of law enforcement officers and suspects; police corruption and misconduct; and the excessive financial and human costs associated with current drug policies. LEAP is a tax exempt, international, nonprofit, educational entity based in the United States that was modeled after "Vietnam Veterans Against the War." They had an unassailable credibility when speaking out to end that terrible war and LEAP has the same credibility when its current and former drug-warriors speak out about the horrors of the war on drugs. LEAP's message both catches the attention of the media and rings true to many other drug warriors who are questioning current U.S. drug policies.

LEAP's Board of Directors is made up of Jack Cole, who retired as a lieutenant after 26 years in the New Jersey state police‹14 years in their narcotic bureau; Peter Christ a retired police captain from a department in New York state; Edward Ellison, a retired detective chief superintendent in the London Metropolitan Police Department in England, who was the operational head of drug task forces for Scotland Yard; John Gayder a currently serving police officer with a department in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada; Eleanor Schockett, a retired Florida Circuit Court Judge; and Howard Wooldridge a former police detective from a department in Michigan.

The LEAP Advisory Board is also composed of esteemed and respected current and former members of law enforcement.

Membership in LEAP is open to anyone who has been formally trained in methods of law enforcement, crime prevention or detection, and given the authority to maintain the peace, safety, and order of the community by any national, state, or local government agency (this includes but is not limited to local, state, and federal police, prosecutors, and judges, as well as corrections, probation, and parole officers).

In addition, the category, "Friends of LEAP," was created for those who have never been part of law enforcement but who wish to support our work of ending prohibition.
However, only current and former members of law enforcement can be speakers for LEAP.

In two years we went from five founders to a membership of over 2,000, with 85 speakers, living in 34 of the United States and in 7 other countries. All LEAP speakers are former drug-warriors‹police, parole, probation and corrections officers, judges, and prosecutors. LEAP has members and supporters across the United States and in forty-five other countries, which is fitting since U.S. drug policy has ramifications that affect the entire world.

LEAP presents to civic, professional, educational, and religious organizations, as well as at public forums but we target civic groups; Chambers of Commerce, Rotaries, Lions and Kiwanis Clubs, etc.
The people in these organizations are conservative folks who mostly agree with the drug-warriors that we must continue the war on drugs at any cost. They are also very solid members of their communities; people who belong to civic organizations because they want the best for their locales.
Every one of them will be voting in every election.
Many are policy-makers and if they are not, they are the people who can pull the coat tails of policy-makers and say, "We have someone you must hear talk about drug policy."

After making more than nine hundred presentations where LEAP calls for the government to "end prohibition and legalize all drugs‹legalize them so we can control and regulate them and keep them out of the hands of our children," we have discovered that the vast majority of participants in those audiences agree with us. Even more amazing is that we are now attending national and international law-enforcement conventions where we keep track of all those we speak with at our exhibit booth; After we talk with them, 6% want to continue the war on drugs, 14% are undecided, and 80% agree with LEAP that we must end drug prohibition. The most interesting thing about this statistic is that only a small number of that 80% realized any others in law enforcement felt the same.

LEAP's immediate goal is to achieve a large membership of law enforcement officials representing all of the many countries detrimentally affected by current drug policies.
The impact on the media and policymakers will be enormous when thousands of members of law enforcement band together to demand an end to drug prohibition.

At LEAP, we understand that advocating changes to current drug laws may expose members of law enforcement to social discomfort from your peers and possibly discipline or other censure from your employer.
When you choose to support LEAP, you must also decide if you want others to know about your support.
If you wish to remain an anonymous supporter of LEAP, rest assured that we will never "out" you to your employer or anybody else.
We will never make your name and address available to any advertiser or other organization.
We employ strict measures to ensure your support of LEAP remains confidential.

On the other hand, if you wish to participate actively and publicly in drug policy reform, we are in need of people around the globe who will spread our message and help recruit more members. If you choose to be a LEAP local representative your name and contact information will appear on our website and publications. There is strength in numbers and by publicly declaring your advocacy for using common sense in formulating drug policy you will encourage others to do the same. Before long, people who share our desire for change will be contacting you to form local networks and alliances.

Please consider "going public."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I consider myself a friend of LEAP.
These Gentlemen are going to turn the tide of public opinion in a big way and in conjunction with groups such as the "Marijuana Policy project" will become the "Spearheads" in this movement to end prohibition, once and for all.

These LEAP members don't "preach to the choir", anybody can do that. :)

IMB :)

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
http://www.leap.cc/about/pubcomments.htm
The following are a few of the many positive comments... received on the internet regarding LEAP over the last year.
In keeping with our commitment to privacy and security, we have “anonymized” them.

Hi-- I'm not directly involved in drug law enforcement, though as a member of a city council I'm aware of both the budgetary and social costs. Thank you all for organizing LEAP--I think you have the potential to do great good. – Barb C.

I have spent the past two months researching the drug war for a college class in 20th century American history. I am grateful for and awed by the amount of courage y'all are demonstrating speaking out against the current policies. It seems especially poignant since we just finished discussing the civil rights struggle in the early 1960s... the parallels are many and disturbing. But I'm encouraged to see the same grass-roots expressions of rationality and hope. Thank you seems totally inadequate for all you do, and the inadequacy increases with my discovery of this organization. But it's all I have to offer. Thank you. – H. B.

I would just like to say how amazed and proud I am to find out that there is an organization of police officers dedicated to this cause. It just proves that our present war on drugs is a losing battle. This site also restores my respect for some policemen, knowing that some cops have a real conscience and actually want to better our world even if it means going against our failed present system... It's amazingly reassuring to know that some cops really intend to protect and serve the community even if it means changing the laws. God Bless every officer involved with LEAP – L.A., Indiana

This is refreshing to find such support for a common sense policy on all "illicit" drugs. I thought I might have been taking a risk speaking to the Senate Committee last November advocating a legalization strategy. It is great to see such an association of like-minded law enforcement officers, both current and former. – L.J., a Customs Officer

Thank you for starting LEAP. Over the years many police have expressed their desire for drug law changes. I'm glad your group has been formed.
It is very important for the main stream police to voice their displeasure with our drug laws, since they are the ones employed to enforce the unpopular laws... I salute your effort and hope many police will follow your example and join your cause and speak out… People want to respect the police but when they enforce bad laws, the respect for them is diminished. This must change and with your new group, the change should come sooner. Thanks. Sincerely – K.H.

I was just alerted to your organization and website and want to give a hearty congratulations! to all of you who are strong enough and intelligent enough to take your stand. My thoughts and encouragement are with you and hope that none of you bring down "heat" on yourselves for your position. We need more like you who have been on and seen the front lines to take firm positions like this. Keep up the good work.

Signed, A citizen very concerned that the Drug War has led to a police state, yours in brotherhood (sisterhood?). – J.L.

I cannot tell you how glad I am to see your web site. Our legal system has been crazily distorted so that we release truly dangerous people onto the streets while locking up people who endanger only themselves…. Cheers, -L.H., Florida

Hello, I just wanted to say: IT'S ABOUT TIME!! Thank God that there are some responsible citizens out there. After what I have been through with courts, illegal wiretaps, so called "trials" in a lopsided "justice system", and police harassment, I had gotten the idea that everyone connected to the justice system, is much more of a criminal than the criminals themselves… Keep up the good work, and may God Bless you. – A.P.

Please know that your efforts to stop the insanity called the War on Drugs are appreciated by those of us who must face the consequences of this war on a daily basis. I am a single mother with no expendable income, so I cannot make a cash donation, as much as I would like to. If there is ever any way that I could contribute to your organization via volunteer work I would be most honored to do so. In the meantime I wish all of you Godspeed in your efforts. – R.W. in New York.

I love what you are doing.. If I can help in some small way I would be happy to help.... You are great people... –S.S., California

While I am in no way a law enforcement officer I was slightly humbled by the existence of your organization. A long time opponent of our countries drug war I have always viewed law enforcement and the judiciary as blindly and ignorantly uniting behind this archaic costly and losing war. To take a unpopular stand in your positions on an issue you truly believe in is highly admirable, especially at the risk of social and professional backlash. Thank you and my respect, - M.T.

Keep up the good work, it's good to see people who actually know what's going on in this country rather than those idiots in Washington who make decisions based on personal gain. – J.B., Oklahoma

Bless You! I wholly support your cause--hooray for you! My first husband, M., died at age 47 of liver failure caused by Hepatitis-C. He was extremely nauseated the last 2 years of his life, and had no appetite. Cannabis allowed him to eat and improved his quality of life greatly. We were part of the first effort to attempt to legalize cannabis for medical reasons in Wisconsin. M. was the first on that trip to go to Heaven. I, too, suffer from Hepatitis-C, and have remarried to a wonderful man. He has never smoked cannabis, but he supports legalization because he sees how it helps me. Thank you again for your efforts! – J.F.

Please keep up the Great Work! – K.P., Mass.

I grew up back east in the South Shore of Montreal. I was raised to believe that the police were there for us. If I ever needed help I should look for an officer. I don't feel that way anymore and that's wrong. I want that for my children again. Please note I don't do drugs however my husband is a federal exemptee to grow and possess mj. I want my kids to think that being in police service is noble and an important job. I love what you and your members are doing. I think all of us are touched by drugs and addiction by loved ones and friends around us. These people need help not jail. There has to be a better way. We need to tell our kids the truth about all drugs. – S.C., Canada

Finally; law enforcement that makes a hell a lot of sense! – H.W., Kansas

I am a college student and I try to keep up with the news on the utterly ridiculous and backward drug war. I would just like to say that your organization is one of the most respectable I have come across. Many people do not understand what true courage is. It seems to me that you and all of the officers in your organization thoroughly understand and possess true courage. I commend you for standing up for what you believe in despite the fact that you're expected to be the most diehard advocates of our governments tragically shortsighted policies. God bless you and help you in your endeavors. – M.P.

The email message below was sent out by a political party Chairman to his executive and members:

Subject: Good tool to influence/educate law enforcement/politicians

Some of you may not be aware of the Law Enforcement Against Prohibition website. This site is particularly useful because it has a very good audio interview between Libertarian Steve Kubby and Peter Christ (LEAP Board member/former law enforcement officer). Many of us have experienced "creditability" problems in discussing the drug prohibition issue with local law enforcement or elected officials. If you can convince them to visit this site and at least listen to this particular interview, it may help to "set the stage" for future productive discussions on this controversial topic. Instead of hearing from Libertarians they will be hearing our position from mainstream law enforcement people with whom they may be able to relate. - D.S., Chairman, Libertarian Party of [withheld] County

Jack Cole was the first person I have heard talk on the subject who made me want to study the pros and cons of repealing THIS form of prohibition in some depth. You might want to invite him to speak in your area. He is pretty convincing--at least that the subject deserves more serious study. * P.K.

I am so happy to see law enforcement officers understanding that this drug war does more harm than good, something I can attest to from almost 30 years of observation. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!! Thank you, and I'll be back to your website again. * C.K., Illinois.

With one presentation Jack Cole, as a retired police officer, has effectively reshaped the thinking of this community. R.D., Oklahoma.

I cannot offer enough thanks for having the courage to start this organization... I am not in law enforcement but I have been a counselor with youth and teens for many years and witnessed first hand the destruction our country¹s punitive and fundamentalist drug laws have had on these young adults... Thank you for speaking the truth and having the wisdom to stand up for what is healthiest for our nation... Keep up the great work. * R.C. Utah.

Keep up the good work. I heard Jack Cole speak this morning on CFAX 1070 in Victoria and he had the most sane position on drugs that I have heard in some time. LEAP would certainly help restore my faith in law enforcement whose resources I feel has been wasted on the drug war. * M.B. British Columbia

I would just like to emphasize how glad I am to hear that other people feel the same way that I have felt for years. I only heard of you at Seattle Hempfest. Anyway, I would just like to thank you all for not being afraid to voice your opinions on such a bias subject. Keep it up! - - A.H. Texas.

It is very courageous of law enforcement to step forward and take a stance to end the failed War on Drugs.... Thank you for your heroic bravery. It is time we helped law enforcement focus on serious, violent criminals rather than continue to use taxpayer dollars to arrest non-violent marijuana users. * M.S. Seattle, Washington
Jack Cole¹s presentation in Stillwater, Oklahoma last June is changing the entrenched mentality in this city. The text of his talk and a video both are making their rounds not only of the city but the state. His comments on The Red Ribbon Campaign are very effective. They could alter the mentality of the leading citizens of the town who up 'til now mindlessly believe DEA / Drug War rhetoric.

Witchcraft is alive and well. Many of us are speaking against it. Dissociated from reason, many simply don't hear. As a retired police officer, somehow Jack Cole has instant credibility - he has the gift of thoroughly engaging an audience - people hang on every word. Many for the first time felt that they really understood the issues. - From an Oklahoma activist, October 15, 2003

I am glad to see members of the law enforcement community openly trying to make our nation a better place to raise our families with greater freedom and actual control over what our children ingest. It is great for our communities to see authority figures coming out on the side of our people. It is time that law enforcement returned to their status as the "good guys." * M.M., Birmingham, AL

As the son of a former police officer, I often wondered if anyone was asking the officers themselves what they thought of the drug war & if it was effective. I'm in Pennsylvania, where more prison industry jobs seem welcomed, & oppression of drug users quite popular. Please let me know what I might do to help. Thank You for this idea & your organization. - M.S.

This is an organization that needs to be heard. Too often, the media paints the picture that only wild-eyed libertarians are opposed to the drug war. * C.S., Hammonton, NJ

As a physician I realize that the war on drugs is way more harmful than the drugs themselves. This holds true especially here in Latin America where Washington's Drug War and Plan Colombia has turned this area of the world into a new Vietnam. We here are all hostage to the propaganda of your hypocritical drug war. No drug war would mean no cocaine lords and no money for the narco-guerilla movement. This sad state of affairs prevents the region from progressing. Sadly, I think that is the point of it all for Washington. * Dr. L., Ecuador

This movement is long overdue.... B.V., Irving, TX

Finding your website ameliorated a small portion of the doubt I have about the nature of policemen and policewomen. I almost feel the freedom returning to this nation keep up the good work. * S.B., Morgansville, NJ

I am a 100% Disabled Army Veteran who served proudly in the first Gulf War. It is hard to see myself as a criminal for violating a law that says I can't use a drug that helps me in so many ways. Legalizing marijuana would save the people of this country thousands of dollars a year off me alone. The Veterans Administration prescribes me so many different drugs that are not as effective and cost so much more than marijuana. This is a organization that I see of proud citizens who are standing up for the rights of so many people. You truly represent Americans like me and I thank you for this. Thank you. * L.B., TN

I find your arguments extremely compelling, the more so due to the weight of experience they contain. As far as your approach goes, I would not change a thing. I only hope your voice will grow louder. * M.P., Eugene, OR

Just heard you on KUOW 94.9 ...and a big THANK YOU to you and LEAP. You give so much credibility to the drug policy reform movement. With dedicated people like you a sane drug policy may become a reality someday. * S.E.B., Seattle, WA

Heard Jack Cole on NPR today. Just want to say, it's the most sense I've heard anyone make in a long time. The argument over the drug war needs more primary sources, such as LEAP. You guys have a lot of credibility in my eyes. Keep it up. * A.K., Seattle, WA

Thank you for visiting Brown University. My entire view of the "Drug War" changed completely. Please keep speaking, we need everybody to know the truth. * A.G., Providence, RI

I fully support the LEOs in my community, who do a great job! I think that some more sensible laws would bring us back to an era when the LEOs were a friend of the community, rather than a part of a bigger problem, like we have now. * J.M., Fayetteville, GA

I'm overwhelmed by the existence of your organization. I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am. You and others in law enforcement have good sense; and courage to speak out. Abraham Lincoln once said "if everyone's thinking the same somebody isn't thinking"
The billions we are spending (much of it in secret) on the drug war is dragging us down. It is clear to any thinking person that these billions are being used by unscrupulous people. Police officers especially in a time of national peril need the help of every freedom loving person. The backwards idiots in congress who pander to the uninformed are making enemies out of pot smokers. This is pure insanity. I have known hundreds people in the last thirty years who use cannabis. Unless there is some underlying mental disorder these people are as sane ,safe, and patriotic as anyone. Your involvement in this effort is to be commended most highly. Many aspects of the drug war especially property seizures and intense secrecy are a danger to all Americans. These concepts from a prosecutorial perspective may seem necessary. In the long run they are a deadly cancer infecting the heart of our democracy. I choose to risk my own freedom by speaking out because I see the dangers looming. This is especially true given the new powers of the USA patriot act. The potential for abuse is reminiscent of our old arch enemy the KGB. I don't want your Kids growing up in that Kind of society. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your courage and hard work. I'm deeply moved by your wisdom and patriotism. * P.M.

Thank you for the courage to speak out against what you believe to be unjust laws and practices, knowing the possible consequences of those committed to continuing the lies and monetary waste. GOD BLESS YOU! * W.H., Elk, WA

I love what your organization stands for. When will the rest of the country be as enlightened as you are? * C.C., Middletown, PA

Dear Officers, Constable Puder's story is one of great Courage & Conviction! I wish to Honor Him and all of the Officers of your group who have the True Courage to stand up and speak out against this misguided 'War on Drugs' that is Worldwide in scope. You all have my deepest respect. * J.M., Camp Hill, PA

It is very courageous of law enforcement to step forward and take a stance to end the failed War on Drugs... Federal organizations should no longer be concerned about treatment decisions between doctors and patients, nor should they interfere with states that approve using marijuana for medical purposes. Thank you for your heroic bravery. It is time we helped law enforcement focus on serious, violent criminals rather than continue to use taxpayer dollars to arrest non-violent marijuana users. * A.H., San Antonio, TX

Thank God for LEAP restores my faith in law enforcement and the hard work they do everyday. Let's work together to stop the real criminals among us! Those that steal, rob and hurt people. * R.M. Fairfield, CA

I was very impressed by a presentation at our church recently, and am heartened by the program in Vancouver offer a safe sight for drug addicts have a supervised injection sight. * P.M., Columbia, MO

Very good points made in the program today in WLRN, excellent approach is being presented to deal with the drug problem in the U.S. I've talked to many people who are strongly opposed to drug use but admit that the best way to deal with the problem is taking a clinical approach, not an inquisitive one. I'd rather send my kid to rehab than see him go to jail for possession of marijuana for example. * A.G., Hollywood, FL

Great show on south Florida public radio yesterday. Keep up the good work. * M.W. Miami, FL

I have been saying since the late 80s (during the 26 years I lived in NYC) that the only solution to the drug "problem" was to legalize and regulate recreational drugs. I lived on the fashionable, upscale Upper West Side. Every afternoon there was a group of dealers selling to residents as they returned home from work. These were women and men in their pinstripes, not the usual class of people one normally associates with drug users. Most of my friends thought I was crazy for having this opinion, but it was obvious that the war on drugs was not working. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to hear your representative on WLRN's Topical Currents yesterday discussing your organization. I'm thrilled that a group of law enforcements personnel are finally speaking up about this and I applaud your efforts. * R.B.T., Fort Lauderdale, FL

I agree with what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Please do everything you can to put a stop to this insane policy. * C.R., Oregon City, OR

I was married for 19 years to a law enforcement officer (sheriff for 4 of those years + 4 more after I left him). One of our biggest conflicts was his anger in response to my hiding his police cruiser keys to prevent him from going out to drink and drive - because he thought no one would stop him in his cruiser. He was adamantly opposed to drugs, especially marijuana (I could never understand how alcohol & nicotine did not fit into his definition of drugs). His drinking & driving meant taking a pint of bourbon with him and driving for hours around the countryside. He was sometimes stopped by other law enforcement officers, contrary to his contention that this would not happen, but they always sent him home and kept it quiet. He would not arrest other drunken drivers because he did not want to arrest someone for something he did. Yes, this is all true! He unrelentingly beat the bushes to find marijuana patches to stake out (probably so he could sit & drink) and arrested the growers with glee.
I am now married to a master's level social worker who works in the substance abuse field and believes just the opposite. He attended the SIU conference in Carbondale, IL and was so gratified to come into contact with your organization. Quite frankly, because of my past experience with my abusive ex-husband and his comrades, neither of us have held a very high opinion of law enforcement officers. Howard Wooldridge's presentation yesterday gave us renewed hope - that there are law enforcement officers out there who THINK rather than reacting to the status quo. It seems so obvious to us that we as a nation, we are creating violent crime by prohibition of drugs rather than using education, prevention, and treatment while legalizing drugs and regulating them! Thank you SO much for restoring our faith...
Thank you so very much for having the courage to rise above the masses and advocate for what makes sense, rather than being sucked in by the war on drugs farce.

I was fortunate enough to hear a LEAP presentation by Jack Cole at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. I had previously given up in despair, but was deeply impressed and filled with hope that there is a sane solution to the insane juggernaught known as the war on drugs. * A.J., Christchurch, New Zealand

It is a wonderful thing that you do. I'm thrilled to see an organization willing to stand up, and support change to a policy that clearly does not work. When I found your site, I realized other people share my concerns about the current policies. Keep up the good work! * S.S., Newport, OR

I recently listened to a radio interview between Jack Cole and the Vancouver BC radio personality Peter Warren. Mr. Cole left me astounded by the stats, facts and figures he presented which has resulted from the on-going and present so called "Drug War".I cannot describe how much I fully support his views.
I am a 75 year old US citizen and retired US military officer living in Canada since 1972. I have never used drugs other than social use of alcohol. I have three daughters now married who tried drugs during their teen years (1960s) and decided it was not for them. Now three of my grand-sons (1990s) have spent time in prison, two for being "users" and one for minor buying/dealing at the encouragement of a police narcotic officer, supposedly in order to entrap his source. Again, these activities were during their teen years. Now they faced with the future with a prison record.
In closing, I firmly believe the tail is wagging the dog. I truly hope Mr. Cole and others who agree can make a dent in reversing our governments misguided drug policies...
Keep up the effort and good work. It is well past time for a radical change of direction at all government levels. * J.P., Canada

Heard a brief segment and got the web site from 700 WLW, Cincinnati... Thank you for making sense...I am a non drug user. * K.D., Wilder, KY

You people are my new heroes. I have pondered the integrity of American law enforcement for many years over their willingness to enforce laws that destroy families and burden society with no regard for their own opinions. I am so proud (and relieved) to know that you fine folks are giving law enforcement a voice that our federal government would rather you not have. Again, thank you.
I am a 28 year old former recreational user of marijuana. I haven't used regularly in 5 years and haven't touched it at all in over 3 years. I have made the responsible decision to obey the current laws, although begrudgingly, to make sure my family is as safe as possible from the intrusion of our government.
I am in awe that law enforcement is actually moving to improve the state of our nation where drug laws are concerned...
Thank you again. You are an honor to your uniform and a true pioneer in reforming not only drug laws, but the public opinion of what law enforcement can do to "Protect and Serve." * A.I., PA

Kudo's to your cause. It is admirable to see those in law enforcement that have a reasonable, responsible view about these ideals. * T.P., Irving, TX

I take pride in knowing there are people in this country such as yourselves who have the common sense to see through the shit. (Sorry about the expletive, but it is the only word that truly fits the feeling) I know what this country was designed to be. The system was set up precisely so this type of government would not arise. Yet here we are. Americans have fallen asleep. Wake them up for me. * B.H., OR

I am extremely glad to see that sectors of law enforcement see the futility of drug prohibition. It is the wise choice. I see reports of people dying, getting AIDS or going to jail all the time for stupid reasons. It needs to stop and you have my full support. I am interested in giving some of my time to help you, please let me know what you need. * P.D., Havre de Grace, MD

Thank you all so much for having the courage to speak the truth. God bless all of you! * S.C., Rock Springs, WY

I am relieved that you have started this group. My family has been directly affected by drugs. And I know cost is to my country, neighborhood, our children, human lives etc. Thank you. * B.L., Tampa, FL

I saw John Gayder giving talk in Toronto on September 30/04. It was so refreshing hearing a police officer talk about the futility of "War on drugs". I have been working with homeless people in downtown Toronto for over ten years. Many of the people I have met in my job are substance users. Some of them lost everything because of the stigma and the criminalization of selected substances. We had people nearly die because of drugs being cut with rat poison, cleaning powders etc. I see people go in and out of jail for drug possessions, costing us all lot of money that would be better spent on health care, education, community development, housing or social safety net. And nothing changes for the users. Many report having easy access to drugs in jails as well. How good is the war on drugs if you can get drugs even in prisons? Clearly, not very good. And who benefits? Organized crime does.
You have my support. Keep up the good and important work. Thank you. - P.T., Toronto Canada

A young LEAP supporter, Quincy Saul, of Woodstock, Vermont, wrote the following poem in answer to list serve topic he was discussing. Quincy's thoughts about the world in which we now find ourselves and what we might do about that world are very fitting for LEAP.

Humanity could sleep upon its cot
Even whilst the boards which hold it rot
And slumber still they could when they do fall.
Even the pain would not awake them all.
And sleeping still, they could rebuild the same
To start the falling over, once again.
And twice, and thrice, and more, they'd take the pain
And dream of dark lament, but never shame.

No, only few do know this taste of tastes,
Although it stares all keenly in the face,
I wonder just how long we'll live that doom,
Until the day we wake, that promised noon!
When after all the waves there'll come a crest,
Different than all the dormant rest,
Where ev'ry droplet shines and keeps abreast
And doesn't crash, but carries on! ...unless...

We take the other way... for it exists,
And if WE can't against it raise our fists,
Then it shall rise as surely as the sun,
At dawn: Extinction and Oblivion.
Not I, nor we, nor even this shall see
Of either day, and all that comes to be
Upon this youngest world, but surely we
Must work the harder for humanity.

We are but the dawn! And yet the day
Will surely follow... IN WHATEVER WAY.

--- Quincy Saul

Last edited:

High n Dry

WTF is wrong with these people?

Don't they know telling the truth about MJ is right up there with terrorism? :yoinks:

We can only hope everyone will eventually learn to the truth. These LEAP people are real hero's in my opinion.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
"These LEAP people are real hero's in my opinion."

"People want to respect the police but when they enforce bad laws, the respect for them is diminished. This must change and with your new group, the change should come sooner. Thanks. Sincerely – K.H."

These are very intelligent and courageous men who are daring to stand up and be counted in these "troubled times."
One "doing the right thing" for the betterment of mankind/ society as a whole is a great virtue in a human being. :)
I salute them for their outstanding efforts towards creating a better future for us all.
May God Bless them and guide them in their efforts.

IMB :)

winterykiss

Very nice ... thank you for this thread .........my uncle is a cop in madison and we have smoked M since we were in our teens .... im sure he has had many guilty moments arresting ppl he did not think were guilty of a crime.... but he has also arrested many bad ppl doing bad things ......we have been waiting since 1969 for legalization... hope we dont have another 27 year wait..........again thank you I.M.B.............PEACE

guineapig

Veteran
Police officers now face a well-armed criminal population that is intent upon survival at any cost......

And how have these guns been purchased? As a result of selling a product which has been jacked up like 1000% of what it would have cost in a prohibition-free America....

How many more police offiers will be killed or injured as a result of misguided prohibition policy?

Prohibition was a failure then and it is a failure now. Period.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law.
For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."

-Albert Einstein,
"My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921

Last edited:

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
IMB, thanks for bring LEAP to our attention! I'm glad I read all this. Albert Einstein summed it up best in his saying you just quoted. I wish they could really LEAP and get this show going, to abolish prohibiton. All the references (anonymous) are common sense people whom are intelligent and responsible folks.

Well done IMB!!

2buds

Another fine piece for reading from IMB. Your wealth of informative and helpful knowledge you share with the community is always welcomed and appreciated IMB. Keep up the good fight bro.
Peace,2buds

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran

“The anti-marijuana campaign is a cancerous tissue of lies, undermining law enforcement, aggravating the drug problem, depriving the sick of needed help, and suckering well meaning conservatives and countless frightened parents.”

-William F. Buckley-

"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

-Dresden James-

G

Although I didn't read every word, I can guess just what it says. This is corruption at it's best. A business designed to line the pockets of the rich and incarcerate all Americans. I am talking about prisons for hire/profit. CCA, The Handleman Corp, those aren't the only ones. They are just the most prominant ones. I know they are publically traded stocks so you can imagine how rich these bastards/bitches are. Of course todays Republicans just love this shit because it benefits them two fold. It lines their pockets and also provides a tool for reelection. All at the expense of American citizens.

Americans live with a percieved sense of security. By that I mean for the most part people are willing to believe that they are safe because some elected official tells them so. We are already living in a controlled state with the matrix of FREEDOM pulled over our eyes. Most of us are to compalcent to believe that such a society exists, they are just unknowingly playing the game it's really not their fault they are brainwashed.

More rantings from Mo. To me it is obvious, I see it everyday and can't understand how most people are blind to it.

Mo, :wave:

billy bob

leap into the future

leap into the future

I just want to add my small tiny voice to this thread; sounds great (LEAP)
BUT I cant believe that uncle sammy would allow herb to be legal in a 100 years unless the us gov, had their hands in the billions of $ worth of proffit ie, TAXES and you know you still wont be able to grow your own because uncle sammy aint going to get his cut of that pie . Remember prohibition in the twentys & thirtys. revenuers will ride again only looking for home growers,
they still monitor sales of sugar used in making shine. so just think about all of the supplys you buy to support a home grow ;they would be watching all of those types of sales like a hawk. Sorry to be so negative about this subject Uncle Sammy does that to me... lol But we can always dream so lets dream big. :woohoo:

somoz

Veteran
I.M. Boggled said:
"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law.
For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."

-Albert Einstein,
"My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921

look at IM go. he has got his one two punch down pat. this is a well articulated quote but it is out of context a bit imo because prohibition corruption was on such a larger playing field then the mj is. you had ur president down to ur newspaper boy in on the action and that is not how i percieve the mj corruption that arises from its prohibition.

i agree with the value content of what the quote is saying but just in its application towards mj i feel a little wishy washy. also goverments sometimes pass laws with clear cognizance in the hope that it will not be upheld, so a certain business sector can open up say drug prevention, drug testing, etc and the passing of the law is in a sense a market influence. gettin a little ahead of me self here. anyway just my 2 bones.

somoz