What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Organic Soil, using Super Soil. Why don't u come by and give some input.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to all this Organic Soil growing. I have grown 100% Organic before using Bio-Bizz, in straight coco. The nugs were beautiful, but it still lacked in taste. But Mainly I grow Hydroponic in coco.
I plan on growing from seed to finish. I am using Light Warrior for seedlings, and Roots Organics for the rest, until I use Super Soil,

So after getting into Subcool's gear, I have decided to give his Super Soil method a try. Since apparently its some of the sweetest tasting results. I plan on following his recipe to the T! I will be using his older recipe(w/o the Fish Bone Meal, since it was a pain in the but to get a hold of)

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil) (I am using Roots Organic myself)

25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid

(I will be only doing a 1/4 batch on the first try)

While I was at the hydroponic store getting my stuff, they didn't have any form of Leonardite, so they gave me this FREE to use for Humic Acid.
GO-AncForest.jpg
AncientForest®
soil amendment

Ancient Forest is a natural product consisting of 100% pure forest humus. It is derived from thousands of years of naturally decomposed forest litter that contains a wide spectrum of organic compounds. An incredibly high diversity of microorganisms, with more than 35,000 species of bacteria and over 5000 species of fungi, make Ancient Forest and ideal amendment for gardening and potting soils. Ancient Forest also aids in the retention of water and nutrients, creating stable, long lasting soil for your garden. The immense biological activity also makes Ancient Forest the ideal inoculum for actively aerated compost teas.

What can I use this stuff for? Can I mix it with my Super Soil? I will be adding Humic Acid to my mix already..

Now since then, I have ordered Humic Acid(granular) DTE%20Granular%20Humic%20Acids%2025%20lb.jpg , so I am covered as far as Humic Acid, but will the Ancient Forest also help?

Another thing is..... Will adding Kelp Meal to this mix mess things up? Or will it help? I was reading other threads where ppl were using this SS mix,and adding Kelp Meal with GREAT success.

I also have some Botanicare ZHO. zhobag.png Should I add that to the mix, or will my Roots Organics have enuff Myco?

I will be using a tumbler to mix my soil. Should I leave in the tumbler, or once tumbled, should it go into the trash can, and left alone(no mixing at all)?

As far as "cookin" the soil? should I leave it in the sun? Cause I don't want to leave my soil outside. Lotta critters around these parts. Can I store bin in my extra bed room, or does sun have to hit the bin?

If I am vegging for only a month or soo, can I get away with 5 gallon pots, or should I just go with the 7 gallon as recommended?

How long should I keep seedling in Light Warrior before transplanting to Roots Organic?

Also my tap water pH is at 5.3 and my PPMs at 40. Should I pH my water before I water?

And should I use molasses during flowering?

How about, CAN I RE-USE MY SUPER SOIL?

I know that these might be a lot of questions, and quite honestly I'll be asking more. So any help would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I do this right!

THANKS EVERYONE!

V

vonforne

2 tbsp powdered humic acidis that for the whole batch. It should be 2 TBS or more per gallon of soil.

Ancient Forest this is a humate. It is good to use. Although it comes in a bag and most of the biology is dead or dormant. I will cover that later in this post. Add the whole bag minus about 1 gallon for ACT.

Another thing is..... Will adding Kelp Meal to this mix mess things up? Or will it help? yes it will. I cannot live without it. 2 TBS per gallon of your soil mix.

I also have some Botanicare ZHO. View attachment 105757 Should I add that to the mix, or will my Roots Organics have enuff Myco? you do not need to add it and later I will explain why.

I will be using a tumbler to mix my soil. Should I leave in the tumbler, or once tumbled, should it go into the trash can, and left alone(no mixing at all)?

As far as "cookin" the soil? should I leave it in the sun? Cause I don't want to leave my soil outside. Lotta critters around these parts. Can I store bin in my extra bed room, or does sun have to hit the bin?

Minium time 2 weeks but if yopu have the space and time leave it for a month or more. And do not leave it in the sun. Place it in a shady area. Try and keep the temps as consistant as possible.

If I am vegging for only a month or soo, can I get away with 5 gallon pots, or should I just go with the 7 gallon as recommended? use the pot up method for better root developement. Start with cups and let it fill out with roots but transplant before the wrap the bottom. Look in my old gallery for examples.

How long should I keep seedling in Light Warrior before transplanting to Roots Organic?
until you have good root developement. I mean good root developement.

Also my tap water pH is at 5.3 and my PPMs at 40. Should I pH my water before I water? keep your water areound 6.3 but me.......I let the soil biology take care of that. That is something you will learn with time.......later lesson.

And should I use molasses during flowering? up until the last waterings. The last few watering should be just molasses and water.

How about, CAN I RE-USE MY SUPER SOIL?
of course!!!!!! It will only get better with time. The rock powders, rock phosphate etc will not benefit you too much in the first couple of rounds but down the road it will benefit the plants greatly.

Now, something you have forgot. ACT. Aerated Compost Tea.

read that link please.

This is how you add biology to your soil. And save some of that EWC and Humus to make the ACT with.

V

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
with low ppm like that your tapwater will be fine as it is.

ion

looks good alla round 311...vf and VG got you covered good........my input would be now that yer on the path, get yer infrastructure going to produce all/most of yer ingedients yerself.......ya dont wanna have to deal with the suck in case bio-biizz/frogforest/light warrior/etc. cant ship their prods to yer local shop/online because of pesky market hiccups, $fuel$, and/or the hippie/commie/tea party disruptions happnin in madison.........bottom line? get yer own compost going then start yer worm farm.

soil tastes good.

intotheunknown

Veteran
because... everything i eat is from the earth, right.
i am what i eat straight up earth, right.
nothing but a walking sack of earth nice to meet you how do ya do. guess what yeah youre one too.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

RE: Ancient Forest

There a number of products that are bagged in Alaska sold under names like Denali Gold, Alaska Magic, Alaska Humus - and Ancient Forest. That isn't necessarily good or bad but I thought you might find more information looking at the other terms/products.

One person who has tested the Alaska Magic product specifically is MicrobeMan who posts here. At his web site, MicrobeOrganics.com, you can review a test that he did comparing Alaska Magic vs. Premier Peat from the Pro-Mix folks. You should find his testing and analysis rather interesting and provide you with the information to save some serious money.

RE: Down-To-Earth Humic Acid

I should state up front that I am not a fan of Leonardite (and especially leonardite) at all. OTOH, Humic extracts will provide you with measurable levels of both humic as well as fulvic acid.

One humic acid extract product that you might want to consider is from the TeraVita company. The KIS Compost Brewer company sells the main products from this company in a couple of powder forms as well as a liquid product which contains chelated minerals.

These extracts will add viable humic and fulvic acids to your soil (and chelated minerals if using their specific product, TeraVita LC-10+7). When you figure out the cost per application for legitimate sources vs. the cost of black (or brown) sand it's an easy call, IMHO

HTH

CC

Thanks to EVERYONE for all ur responses!

Thanks to EVERYONE for all ur responses!

2 tbsp powdered humic acidis that for the whole batch. It should be 2 TBS or more per gallon of soil.So use more Humic Acid? I will not have problems because of this right?

I will be using a tumbler to mix my soil. Should I leave in the tumbler, or once tumbled, should it go into the trash can, and left alone(no mixing at all)?Should I continue to mix after the first mix, or just 1 good mix, then leavit it the hell alone?

Place it in a shady area. Try and keep the temps as consistant as possible.So in a spare bedoom would be a good idea, as long as temps stay above say 60 degrees? Is it harmful to have that stuff in the house at that point?

If I am vegging for only a month or soo, can I get away with 5 gallon pots, or should I just go with the 7 gallon as recommended? use the pot up method for better root developement. Start with cups and let it fill out with roots but transplant before the wrap the bottom. Look in my old gallery for examples.Would I be able to get away wit 5 gallon pots , even tho its recommended to use a 7 gallon

until you have good root developement. I mean good root development.I understand this perfectly, just had to point out that u MEANT that shit!! LOL

Also my tap water pH is at 5.3 and my PPMs at 40. Should I pH my water before I water? keep your water areound 6.3 but me.......I let the soil biology take care of that. That is something you will learn with time.......later lesson. So leave my damn water alone!! No pHing? Am I correct?

Now, something you have forgot. ACT. Aerated Compost Tea.
Ain't that some shyte? LMFAO. U telling me wat I forgot.. GOTTA LOVE YA FOR THAT!!!! thats wat I mean. I wish more ppl were like u. Willing to not see this as a pain in the ass, and be more informative, as u have been. Thanks! Will DEFINITELY READ!!!!
read that link please.
I actually hadn't forgotten about the ACT, but let me ask u a ????. The recipe I am using is suppose to be just water from start to finish. Can I get away with just water the first round, so I get the hang of things first. And once I get the hang of the Organics, start using teas and such. I'm just afraid of over doing it,

V

Hot Damn Man!!!!! Wat didn't u cover? LOL

OK I gotta tell this story, so u can understand how thankful I am for ppl like u.

I had posted in Subcool's thread(RIU). A simple question. Wat can I use for my seedling or clones. WHY DID I ASK THAT QUESTION???? People came out of the woodworks, going off on me. Why I hadn't read the last 100 some odd pages, cause it was chocked with info about my STUPID question. One person went as far as telling me I was too laxy to rad cause the answer was on the 1st page(GUESS WAT??? IT WASN'T) So I apologized and went back to read. All I found was Subcool talkin about his Super Soil, and ppl asking questions, but being attacked by RUDE answers, from Subcool and his "crew".

So after 20 pages or so, of reading ppl being rude to, I gave up on looking for this info, cause I didn't wanna read all the drama along with it. Well eventually they attacked this one dude(on a more recent post), and I had had enuff of the rudeness. So I posted on the thread telling Subcool there was NO reason for ALL this rudeness toward the ppl. And that I would NOT buy anymore of TGA gear. I even mentioned that I knew me not buying his seeds wouldn't affect his pocket, BUT I would sleep better at night knowing I didn't contribute to his mortgage payments.

Now after that comment I made, he responded with the fact that he had raised 4 kids, and had no time to babysit us, and that the answer to my original ??? was Light Warrior, Happy Frog and Roots Organics.

REA-HEEE-HEE-HEEEELY??? 2 pages after my simple question, and all that rudeness, the answer was 6 words!!!!! 3 products!

WOULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN EASIER HAD THE ?? BEEN ANSWERED? Yes he must be annoyed about answering the SAME ??? 1000 times!!!! But he wasted all that energy on anger and rudeness, to still answer the question. Had he just answered the question, I'd still be a fan!

So this was the result of that. I WILL NOT USE TGA GEAR ANYMORE! I just bought my first few packs of Gage Green Genetics, and will be giving him a try!!! Sooo So soooooo sooo sorry Subby!

Now I'm not bashing on anyone, so please, any Subcool ppl here, don't take offense!!! I'm just thankful that some ppl take the time to help, EVEN if it means repeating urself 1000 times.

So for that I thank u!!!!!!! YOU GUYS AR FU@*ING AWESOME!
Hey I can drop the F bomb on this one right? I'm not really "cussing". I am using the F bomb to describe everyone's awesomeness. Therefore the F bomb is no longer a cuss word, and is now and adjective. CORRECT?!?!?! LMFAO!

with low ppm like that your tapwater will be fine as it is.
Thanks

.bottom line? get yer own compost going then start yer worm farm. YES SIR/MA'AM! I plan on getting a 5 or 7 drawer bin for a worm farm.

soil tastes good.

because... everything i eat is from the earth, right.
i am what i eat straight up earth, right.
nothing but a walking sack of earth nice to meet you how do ya do. guess what yeah youre one too.
My skin holds me in my brain moves me then boom.
I jump straight off the speaker in a form a celebration that we're moving.
Freely disconnected I'm truly grateful I'm going back the Earth.
I'm not gonna waste life being hateful.

Thanks for the info!

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I have a thread that was opened and I got a lot of help from people with this exact mix. This is Sxxxxxl's mix right? Well, after all the help this is what I came up with.

8 bags of Roots Organics green bag. (12 cubic feet, but really more like 10.5)

1 cubic foot of earth worm castings. Or 50 lbs
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
3/4 cup Epsom salts
1 cup sweet dolomite (lime)
1/2 cup azomite
8 cup alfalfa
8 cup kelp meal
1.5 cubic feet of Pumice.

My thread name was Making soil mix, any thoughts. It has been a couple days since somebody commented on it but you should check it out.

This mix is for an outdoor grow, so somethings may differ for an indoor grow.

V

vonforne

Some one needs to tell Subcool he uses too much P in his mix.

V

Clackamas Coot

Veteran

V

I don't think we're allowed to are we? Is he on the ICMAG approved seed breeder list by any chance?

Just curious - barely. LOL

I would also make the observation and this is not directed towards SubCool or any other seller of seeds, but simply being involved in crossing genetics of any plant does not make one a soil biologist.

Much like the paradigm of the young boy in high-school who finally gets his finger wet in and around Susie's reproductive organs - this hardly qualifies this young lad to promote himself as a board-certified gynecologist.

CC

V

vonforne

I don't think we're allowed to are we? Is he on the ICMAG approved seed breeder list by any chance?

I would also make the observation and this is not directed towards SubCool or any other seller of seeds, but simply being involved in crossing genetics of any plant does not make one a soil biologist.

Much like the paradigm of the young boy in high-school who finally gets his finger wet in and around Susie's reproductive organs - this hardly qualifies this young lad to promote himself as a board-certified gynecologist.

CC

lol thanks for that CC. I needed a good laugh lately.

V

I have a thread that was opened and I got a lot of help from people with this exact mix. This is Subcool's mix right? Well, after all the help this is what I came up with.

8 bags of Roots Organics green bag. (12 cubic feet, but really more like 10.5)

1 cubic foot of earth worm castings. Or 50 lbs
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
3/4 cup Epsom salts
1 cup sweet dolomite (lime)
1/2 cup azomite
8 cup alfalfa
8 cup kelp meal
1.5 cubic feet of Pumice.

My thread name was Making soil mix, any thoughts. It has been a couple days since somebody commented on it but you should check it out.

This mix is for an outdoor grow, so somethings may differ for an indoor grow.

Read ur thread. Good reads! Thanks!

V
Hey VF, just wanted to make sure u saw I had some questions for u in the QUOTED part also, from that last long rant. lol.

V

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. SO ALL THESE YEARS OF FINGER FU@#ING, AND YOU'RE SAYING I'M NOT A GYNECOLOGISTS? WHAT THE HELL! I THOUGHT THAT QUALIFIED ME!
CC

Both u guys are lucky ur not on RIU cause we would have a all out war right now, with all his followers! LOL

Last but not least, I read Bullfrog44's thread where ppl are suggesting using more Lime, and also adding Alfalfa Meal and Pumice(Don't forget I'm also adding some Kelp Meal. Can other ppl tell me if that will be a good thing to add to my mix? will it benefit, or be too much?

V

vonforne

I actually hadn't forgotten about the ACT, but let me ask u a ????. The recipe I am using is suppose to be just water from start to finish. Can I get away with just water the first round, so I get the hang of things first. And once I get the hang of the Organics, start using teas and such. I'm just afraid of over doing it,

The purpose of ACT is to add biology to the soil substrate. Bacteria, fungi etc. Simple. Read the Tea Article in the stickie section also.

And go to the local book store and pick up ´Teaming with Microbes`.

And yes we try and be helpful. We generally do not have any problems in our forum. It is the quality of our members that keep this forum one of the best on the net. We have the greatest collection of Organic Masters any where for what we do. I learn something every time they post. Gotta love free information sharing.

Glad we could help.

V

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I just wanted to add that I have adjusted the amounts of lime, alfalfa, pumic and kelp meal in my mix. Those are the final figures. I would love to hear if anybody thinks there are problems with this mix.

V - To much P? How much would you recommend?

I am new to all the organics so I would guess the rock phosphate is the P you are talking about. I heard the breakdown rate of rock phosphate is extremely slow. Could this be the reason for so much? Please educate me.

I just wanted to add that I have adjusted the amounts of lime, alfalfa, pumic and kelp meal in my mix. Those are the final figures. I would love to hear if anybody thinks there are problems with this mix.

V - To much P? How much would you recommend?

I am new to all the organics so I would guess the rock phosphate is the P you are talking about. I heard the breakdown rate of rock phosphate is extremely slow. Could this be the reason for so much? Please educate me.

Actually Subcool eliminates the Rock Sulfate in his new "revised" recipe. He also eliminates Bone Meal, and subs Fish Bone Meal(which was not available to me in my local area, and I searched!)
I still plan on using the Rock Sulfate tho., SInce I am following the recipe that call for it.

Being that I myself am new to organics, I too would like to know more about BF's question.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Actually Subcool eliminates the Rock Sulfate in his new "revised" recipe. He also eliminates Bone Meal, and subs Fish Bone Meal(which was not available to me in my local area, and I searched!)

I still plan on using the Rock Sulfate tho., SInce I am following the recipe that call for it.

Being that I myself am new to organics, I too would like to know more about BF's question.

This (in)famous soil mix recommends using Rock Phosphate vs. Soft Rock Phosphate?

Wow!

CC

Bullfrog44

Veteran
You seem to look down on this mix CC. In my thread you seemed to think it was ok and even told me how to build my own soil that would be comparable to Roots Organics soil. Is there really an answer to the perfect soil mix? If you believe so, then what is it?

Thanks for all the advice so far, all amazing information.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
You seem to look down on this mix CC.

Not at all Bullfrog - if I missed the deal about rock phosphate vs. soft rock phosphate then I apologize.

The availability of Phosphorus from rock phosphate is probably something anyone considering using this would want to take a look at.

Even then - in the soft rock phosphate product it usually has a label with something like "Phosphorus - 24% - Available Phosphorus - 2.8%"

Here's an overview of these phosphate agents - Soft Rock Phosphate

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts