What's new

Critical Mass Vert: 6 site RDWC in 4x4 tent

MyGreenToe

Ok so after years of studying Heath's methods, I finally ripped down my setup and built a Vert.

It's a 6 site RDWC based on Heath's tree setup. A 1200GPH pump feeds all the sites through 1/2" pvc. Each site is plumbed with a 1 1/2" pvc drain back to the external reservoir. Each one is a 5 gallon bucket with a 10" netpot lid. The lamp is a 600W HPS. It's all contained in a 4x4x6.5ft tent, vented by a 6" CAN fan.

The external reservoir is a 40 gallon botanicare unit. It is kept at the proper height via a float valve and a 55 gallon blue barrel of plain water. The total capacity of the RDWC system at the correct level is 45 gallons. I believe I will be able to go 2 weeks between nutrient changes, but for now will be doing so weekly, until I'm sure things are dialed in.

I am using
Maxibloom @ 1tsp/gallon
SM-90 @ 2ml/gallon
Silica Blast @ 1ml/gallon
and then adjusting pH accordingly. That's it!

The strain is Critical Mass. I planted 18 seeds and had 16 up by 12/5/10. I lost a few to thirst during the holiday season when I was working long hours and got home late. In the end I have 13 CM plants: 8 girls, and 5 boys. The 6 best girls went in last night and have seriously exploded noticeably since I placed them in the RDWC. It's on!

Okay here's the pictures. I'll grab a few more snaps later when I check on things...
picture.php

Here's the 2x4x6ft tent I veg in. It has a 2x4 tray, with a 6 lamp 4ft T5 hanging over it, and a 4" fan exhausting it.
picture.php

That's it for now. Questions, just ask.

Keep it Green
MGT

D

DHF

Disregard my post in the other thread.....Didn`t see this 1 till afterwards.......

Handle it Bro....DHF........:ying:......

MyGreenToe

mrktwiz:
thanks just tryin to keep it simple and clean!

Fred: You know I'm going to do my best. I tried to think of everything before getting started. So far it's paying off. The fruits of this labor will help pay for my impending move!

Keep it Green y'all!

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow, very nice clean setup, love it, This is what I wanted mine to look like. Well maybe next run I will change it to rdwc.

I will follow this one for sure as it is very similar to my current setup. I am also growing some critical mass, can't wait to see how this turns out. I love the huge net pots, really wish I would have gone with the 10" instead of the 6"

MyGreenToe

Wow, very nice clean setup, love it, This is what I wanted mine to look like. Well maybe next run I will change it to rdwc.

I will follow this one for sure as it is very similar to my current setup. I am also growing some critical mass, can't wait to see how this turns out. I love the huge net pots, really wish I would have gone with the 10" instead of the 6"

Thanks Aero. I've been watching your thread, good stuff!

I'm not sure I would cram a 6 site RDWC into a 4x4 tent like this again, but with a slightly larger footprint like your 6x6, I wouldn't hesitate.

As to the netpots, the bigger ones seemed the obvious choice to me. Harvest mass is closely related to root mass, if not directly proportional. Also, with big mamas, it seems like the heavier anchor keeping them upright is better. I have no empirical evidence to support this it's just my theory. I know there's a thread on here with much debate on the subect of 5g netpot lid size... I bet you'll be fine.

Thanks for lookin! I'll post some more pics later tonight.
Keep it Green
MGT

MyGreenToe

Funk:
Thanks mate glad to have you along for the ride!

Here are the flower and veg tents as of a few minutes ago. Also the external reservoir that sits next to the tent.

You may notice my shade over the lamp. It is a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off, hung on the chain that suspends the lamp. It reduces the intensity enough that working in the tent with my everyday sunglasses is perfectly comfortable. It also keeps me from burning myself. I cut the bottom off to allow convection instead of heat build up. I have let it hang there for over 30 minutes, with no melting, or plastic smells. It is simply very warm when taken down. Maybe someone else can use the idea!
picture.php

Here is the 40 gallon res that sits next to the tent. You can just see the edge of the blue 55 gallon barrel that keeps it topped up via a float valve.
picture.php

And this is the veg tent. Two girls and 5 boys here. Lookin happy in their rw cubes.
picture.php

Not an exciting update but I'm excited to be back on track!

Keep it Green
MGT

MyGreenToe

Ok so they have been in the RDWC for 10 days now. I'm flipping them to 12/12 now. Took clones and refilled the reservoir tonight, so it's on.

Here's the bloom tent, day one of 12/12:
picture.php

These girls were in 4" cubes 10 days ago. Here is the root growth after that 10 days:
picture.php

Here are the males and the other 2 girls in the veg tent. Lookin good. I had to top them (3 or 4 nodes worth)all to keep them from getting too huge.
picture.php

Now the waiting begins. Any questions just ask.

Keep it green.
MGT

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Lookin really good MGT, nice work:yes:

This is making me happy I swapped the 6" for 10" pots Nice roots!!

MyGreenToe

Heya. Wanna know wich ferts. are u useing?
what is your Ph and EC level?
Temp and humidity?
Thx

I use Maxibloom. It's a one part dry mix from GH.
With it I use SM90 for healthy roots and pest prevention, and Silica Blast for increased resilience and budrot prevention.
My pH is running around 5.6.
I don't measure my EC or PPM. I use the Maxibloom at 1tsp per gallon for everything, except seedlings and clones, which get half strength. I top off my res with plain water so I really have no need for measuring EC/PPM. New mix every 1-2 weeks, depending on how heavy they are drinking.
My room temps are around 72-75 lights off, 77-80 lights on. Humidity stays around 30%.

Thanks for lookin!
Keep it Green.
MGT

MyGreenToe

SM-90 is a nutrilife product that encourages new root growth. It is also a wetting agent and as such is a great component for foliars(for soil growers). I use it directly in my nutrient solution. It also provides some protection against soil borne pests, including fungal and bacterial intruders. They don't seem to like the stuff. One of the components is coriander oil, so in addition to all the benefits, it smells wonderful.

Latest posts

Latest posts