What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sour 60 in soil and gdp/sour60 in coco

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Hi I've got a few autos going so I figured I'd start a thread over here. :)

Let's see....I did a sour60 seed run a few months back. I tried to start about a dozen of my f2's and had terrible germination rates, only got 1/12 to sprout! I believe it was because they didn't quite get dried enough, they only dried with the buds, then were deseeded..sat out for a day, and then got bagged. I decided to let them dry out for another week or so, then they were packaged with some silica packs for a few days, then frozen over night. After that I got 9/10 to germ :jump:

Here's the 1/12 sour60 that made it (the others didn't even crack) sorry I don't have earlier pics.

She started out under a 23w cfl for about 2-3 weeks, and in about maybe 14oz of coco, so she could be alot bigger, but I'm still quite impressed at the vigor. These sour60 seem to explode after about 4 1/2 weeks. After she was about 3 weeks old I moved her under a 400w cmh, she was stretching about an inch a day (seemed like she needed to get used to the light for a few days first though) She's gotten so much taller then my other veg plants that I've have to move her off to the side and the stretch seems to be reducing a little. She's in a `1.5 gallon "smartpot" in cocotek red brick with h3ad's 6/9. I actually use 6micro,9bloom,2calmag+, and a few drops of dripclean ph'd to 5.9. Watered with nutes to about 15% runoff everyday. I think I sprouted this one on nov4th or so...I suck at labeling sometimes. Definitely between the 3rd-7th though ;)

After freezing my f2's I gave them another go and got about 9/10 and popped the few f1's I had left too. due to a labeling error some of the f1's and f2's got mixed up.

babies...

after I weeded out the males, except the one biggest one in the back.

few days later after transplant...

...and from last nite. I had another pic of the lineup of 3 more but it disappeared :dunno:

These are in ffof getting a little bit of growbig or pbp here and there.

I have a bunch of sour60 pollen backstocked, but I think I'll use pollen from the new batch for these ones. I plan on pollinating a small branch of each unless I see something spectacular around mating time. I really want to test the end product this time before I decide which seeds to make f3's from, because that will be a nice big seed run, so I want to get it right.

Also with these 8 sour60 that I've popped I decided to mess around a little for my own curiosity. One of the sour 60 was placed under my 1k hps on 12/12 a few days after transplant, also one of the sour60 is in a airpot to test those out. One of the s60 was a runt too so I put her in a smartpot when I transplanted to try to get her to catch up to her sisters which are in plastic "rose pots".

OK! next up we have the sour60 x gdp sprouts. :jump:

16/16! :yay: and they allll look nice and healthy! The last 2 to pop are trucking right along too and don't looked stunted or runted at all :) The gdp used in the cross is from a bagseed I grew out from what I think was ken's gdp, but I'll never know. The original buds from the bag were super dense coneshaped and smelled of fruitypebbles with a hint of grape. I grew out a few seeds I was lucky enough to find and I found this gem:

So that's what we're looking for in the cross. In the second pic you can see the curly hairs, this is the trait I'm gonna keep an eye out for. I think the curly hairs will be the trait to look for to get the super dense buds that I get from my gdp. Towards the end the calayx structure looks almost like asparagus or something, as you can kinda see in the 3rd pic. Primarily I'm trying to cross for autoflower and bud structure, with secondary being smells and colors. That curly haired trait is very unique and easy to spot, and hopefully will help for a faster selection. I've popped these 16 and have 20 or so left and tons of pollen to make more of these f1 seeds when I need them. I run quite a few strains from top breeders and this bagseed is my favorite no offense to any breeders...I just got lucky. :)

questions and comments are very welcome :wave:

DIRT DIGGLER

Very nice..You've got my attention...I just popped a pile of auto ice F3 (auto ak x ice??) and I am in search of the almighty desired traits from the mother clone..only thing that sucks for me is that I am not sure of the exact lineage of the clone and I'm one of those guy's obsessed with details..some how she was labeled as Ice,but no one knows for sure.
all I know was she was a super dense high trichome laden, sativa leaning lady of the highest order and I hope to find these traits in her AF offspring..
I wish you luck on your project...subscribed.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Thanks Dirt, I'm obsessed with lineage too. I wish I knew what gdp cut this was from..or what it got pollinated with.

Good luck on your project as well. :)

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool project.

What's your plan for turning the GDP x Sour60 into autos?

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Awesome! Deff gonna be watching this!... I cant wait to see how that GDPXS60 turns out in the end, its going to be pretty i can bet you that! Im currently doing a S60XPB Cross right now, it will be fully auto, but its not beign backcrossed to a 12/12 strain like yours is!

Good luck on your project, keep em green

20/4 :tiphat:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Hi Blynx thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping to get a decent early male and female that show the gdp structure..probably cross the 2 and back cross to the sour60 and hopefully be able to forward cross from there. I'm trying to make some extra room for the males, so I can grow them out for a nice selection. I might run some of the Non/semi auto females through 12/12 too just to see what traits are coming through the strongest. I've crossed this gdp cut before to a deepchunk and the smells and structure dominated the dc in the handful of seeds I popped.

Thanks 20/4 :) I'm really excited about seeing how these seeds turn out, and how lucky I get on phenos. I also have another cut of GDP (unknown) with very strong sourgrape scents but the potency is very lacking, I'm considering reversing it and hitting up the other gdp with it....I don't know why I mentioned that, I guess it seems like theres huge demand for gdp beans right now but connoisseur is the only breeder I know of that's worked it and they sold out superquick....not that I plan on selling these or anything...just gonna be for friends and future outdoor stuffs. I just find it interesting that certain breeders aren't "cashing in" on a quick f1 gdp cross since it's in such high demand/ low supply right now.
:wave:
:tiphat:

uptosumpn

Veteran
Wow!, this is gonna be WICKEd``` Let me be the first to say that this thread should be a sticky!!!

GDP x Sour60......<all I gotta say; is when testers are needed...remember me!!

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
thanks alot for stoppin by uptosumpn! :tiphat: There's still much work to be done :)

nothing much goin on with the seedlings so here's one of the sour60's that are at about 30 days. This one is unique from the rest as it's forming tight buds early. Will most likely be a short bushy pheno it looks like.

I'll try to get better pics tonite, took these all kinda quick....a few group shots:

those are 6/8 1 more is in 12/12 and another is a runt in a smartpot. After seeing how tall the S60 i have in coco is, I decided to top all the taller sour60's...I simply don't have the right setup to grow big tall plants right now and I think these would get to be at least 3'.

Here's the big girl. She's about 55days now. definately going longer then 60 days..I think maybe in soil she would finish up in 70 but coco seems to add a week or 2. I'm afraid to start flushing because there's still tons of new growth. She got to be about 28" and I had to lean her to the side. Hard to tell from the pics below but she's at about 60degees tilt or w/e. I think I'll get alot better yield too because the whole plant now is within about 2' of the 400w.

picture.php

-
picture.php

thank you for your comments and stuff everyone. :wave:
stay tuned, there's gonna be some crazy autorgy action in the next weeks. It's gonna get freaky-deaky.

Last edited:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
here's some solo shots of the sour60 girl in coco. Probably topping 30" but she's bent a little. I'm starting to see a few more orange hairs so I'll take that as a sign to start cutting out some nutes and flush or whatever. As I said earlier I think she's gonna go longer due to the coco adding a week or 2.

the babies:

A little light but they're recovering. :comfort:

here's the sour60 that I threw into 12/12 about a week ago:

-this one seems to be filling out quicker then the others, and as you can see she's stretched a bit. I don't think the stretching is from the pheno, it's the dark. I have 2 others in 24/0 that were very comparable to this one in size/shape and I see quite a difference now in structure and bud formation. This one was also topped a few days ago because I got scared. :) Oh yeh and she's got a few trifoliate(sp?) nodes in the middle of the plant. Pretty cool looking.

Here's the short pheno:

- buds are looking pretty dense already. She's maybe 10-12" tall. ..hmm I misplaced the macro shot of the bud....I'll get one next time.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Youve got alot going on dragon, i like it!... Im itching to see the sour60Xgdp, Im also excited to see how the 12/12 sour60 does...will be interesting to see if it still takes same amount of time, yield comparison, ect. Im glad your doing it :tiphat:

I may need some suggestion/help with a mini fridge design very soon, id like to keep it pretty simple though...this will become my perm cab for the time being, sucks, but i may have to downsize for a bit....:comfort:

bugler

Please update us on that gdp x sour 60, specifically in regards to percentages of auto or semiauto (requires some darkness) in the offspring. All my research says no autos in the first generation, but just about every time I search some more I find at least a person or two who chimes in about them showing up in F1's somehow....

Neat cross btw...

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Youve got alot going on dragon
bwhahah...thanks man it's alot of work and I don't take it for granted.

green.is.good thanks for stopping by:wave:

bugler thanks for the support, I have no idea what to expect from these seedlings...only time will tell.

here's a shot from last nite:
picture.php

seems to go so slow in the beginning. not much to report, just some different leaf shapes. In the closest 2 you can see the one on the left has a more elongated leaf, rounder on the right. They'll get transplanted pretty soon, still deciding on what kinda pot to use....wish I had something taller like those tree pots that I see everyone using.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
bwhahah...thanks man it's alot of work and I don't take it for granted.

green.is.good thanks for stopping by:wave:

bugler thanks for the support, I have no idea what to expect from these seedlings...only time will tell.

here's a shot from last nite:
picture.php

seems to go so slow in the beginning. not much to report, just some different leaf shapes. In the closest 2 you can see the one on the left has a more elongated leaf, rounder on the right. They'll get transplanted pretty soon, still deciding on what kinda pot to use....wish I had something taller like those tree pots that I see everyone using.

Go to the store and find the generic 3 liters of Soda.... OR since some of these may be 12/12 i would just transplant them into 2 liters... The choice is yours...I really wanna get some treepots also! They were like made for autos!:laughing: Those are looking beautiful though mate!:jump: Cant wait for the next month to see if you got some autos!

How old are they? They look so healthy!

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
thanks man! they're about 10 days now. They're still a little bit light in color but recovering quickly. I'm still getting the hang of starting seeds in coco. I was alzy at first and gave them regular tap instead of ph'd...I think that led to the lighter green color. Currently they're getting 1/4 str 6/9 mix ph'd to about 5.8-6.0 Another set of leaves and I'll try 1/2 strength on a few of them. My sour 60 was able to handle 1/2 strength quite early. You can barely see a little tip burn on the one closest to the right, the rest are looking tip top. I would do the 2liters but they'll probably end up on the flood table and I need a nice sturdy base. I'm leaning towards these "1 gallon" square "smart pots" that I've been using.I dunno the actual brand name. They're a little taller then normal smartpots though and I want something kinda deep.

The large sour60 looks to be finishing up alot more..I can't wait to have some in a jar again! :jump: I love that stuff.

lookin nice man!! those seedlings love the coco, my easyryders are doing pretty good in it at a week, healthiest and fastest seedlings ive ever grown, using the calmag and floranova. thank god you told me to get a ph pen i was a good bit off. im interested in that gdpxsour60 and ill be here for the ride.

Peace

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
thanks jupiter cyclops, the seedlings are trucking right along..not quite as healthy as they could be..looking a little over watered. I prefer not to put holes in my cups anymore cuz I'm lazy. I really want to transplant but I won't have room for them if I do, but I will in just a few days. Here they be:

A little droopy but they'll bounce back after transplant.

Here's the sour60 girl:

She's filling in/out nicely and getting nothing but ph'd water now. I gave a few waterings of 1/2 str nutes the past few days..I know I should have cut out the micro a few weeks ago..etc, but she was filling in too nicely to start cutting out nutes. I think it's a little harder to judge when to flush when going from seed rather then clone. This time I just kinda waited till I saw a few hairs turning orange before I started the flush....anyone else that does autos in coco/hydro have a better idea of when to start flush? I'm pretty new at the whole coco thing still so any help is appreciated. :tiphat:

Getting a little top heavy. I have to prop her up on the crate now lol, I don't like sticking a big stick into the roots at this point to prop her up. The buds are a little thinner in this (f2)pheno then I'd like so she didn't get seeded, but wow her calaxes are really starting to swell..beautiful looking buds. I did however seed the shorter sour60 pheno I have,. I used my new sour60 pollen on that which seemed to have tighter clusters of sacks so hopefully that mixes well with the dense buds on the short pheno. I also hit a few branches of the sour60 with the tightest looking buds out of the taller phenos with my other pollen.

The sour60 that I threw into 12/12 is looking really nice too btw..no pics right now but the buds look alot tighter then the ones in 24/0...could be due to the pheno...but I swear I tried to pick a real "average" one when I threw it in 12/12. I guess it could be due to the 1k light too..

I'll try to get some more shots of the other sour60's soon too...some got tied down cuz I don't have the vertical room to do 3-4 foot plants. I wish I could get a better view of the structure now...plenty of room for that outdoors in a few months though :jump:

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
its amazing what these sour 60's can achieve when there happy and in the right enviroment

good luck with the rest of your project :good:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by skotty :)

Here's a shot of the little ones after transplant from a day or 2 ago..I keep forgetting to bring my camera with me.

they're just getting light waterings with some 50% mix for a few days so the roots spread out nice..then I'll start drenching them.

The sour60's are alll looking great. I broke...er I mean a branch fell off the other night and I'm smoking it now..so delicious mmMmm..hopefully less then a week before I chop the big one, she's ripened quite quickly since I started flushing..

I'm Dykster

Nice thread! Great size on those s60. I just love that strain. Taste good, has a decent stone with a little head also. You did a fantastic job with them. So much for autos being dinky and weak. Every grower that has tried them was blown away, as were all us here. Your plants are impressive...love all the photos my sweets!