What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

18 hour light cycle

Rattrap

Very interesting read hay nitetiger? what sort of timer would u need? i think i'll give this a go next time round

G

The staggered light article was relating to say:

6 1000 watters in a room - turn the middle 2 off for 2 hours leaving only 4000watts on, then turn the end 4 off for 2 hours leaving only the middle 2 on, etc, etc.

You would still have light on in the room for a full 12 hours and a full 12 hours of darkness. This was discussed in Cervantes Q&A.

They do this where power consumption is a bigger issue.

IMVHO I do not see how reducing light will increase yield as anyone can attest - more light = bigger bud. Plants use light to build themselves up. Again, my very humble opinion.

Rattrap

strainwhore, its based on the idea that though a plant may be under 18hrs of light in a 'day' it is only at its peak usage of that light for a much shorter time. so u only give the plant light for that period of time then into dark again giving u more 'days' of light. Makes logical sence to me but it just depends on just how smart the plants really are. There seems to be a question regarding THC production too. I think the only way to test would be a side by side grow of the same clones.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
We're talking about a different kind of light cycle, not staggered as you describe strainwhore.

Rattrap, I think I'm just going to use X10 relays for my test, as that Harvest master thing costs like $800 :)

Rattrap

yeah thats the big killer nitetiger. I might have to pull apart one of my timers, see if i can fiddle with it.

NiteTiger

Veteran
If I weren't going X10, I'd probably just pick up a seven day digital timer.

May do that anyway, if X10 keeps dragging thier feet on my inquiries.

G

I think a $15 7-day digital timer would work. Might have to fudge the start/stop times at the end of the week or reprogram the timer, though.

They do make cycle timers that repeat on a user-set cycle instead of the standard 24-hour "day" cycle, but I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

The X-10's are probably the best solution, though, cause you can update from your computer.

I'd be most interested in seeing this test run with a control group - same plants, lights, medium, system, etc., except on the standard 12/12 cycle - and compare final yield and potency. The question will never be answered without question until a test such as this is done - a direct comparison is needed to eliminate all other variables that could affect the outcome.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Once I get into my new space (Feb 1st), my first priority is getting up and running. I am so pissed about my potty grow! I should be sitting on a fat pile of my own buds instead of cursing the schwag. Sorry, had to rant.

Once I'm running, give me one grow to pick a good mom and then I'll run the experiment. I'll post a diary, should be fun :)

G

Hey, a bit of ranting is the least we can allow you after putting that much effort into it and then having to tear it back down before you could get even a single harvest!

Yep, it should be fun!

Rattrap

i've got 2 grow rooms (1 veg & 1 bloom normally) so once i'm rid of our holidaying guests, late feb, then i'll be in a position to do a proper side by side comparsion. I have a bubbleious mom that i've grown clones from a few times now, she's a nice smoke & real easy to grow so she would be an ideal candidate.

G

NiteTiger said:
We're talking about a different kind of light cycle, not staggered as you describe strainwhore.

Rattrap, I think I'm just going to use X10 relays for my test, as that Harvest master thing costs like $800 :)

Sorry, I was kinda answering Bucket Boy as he mentioned it being in HT. The only thing I remember recently that sounded like what he said was the on off cycles in Cervantes RX section.

Sorry to hijack :hijacked:

Let us know how it goes. I will be watching!

G

ambre said:
The X-10's are probably the best solution, though, cause you can update from your computer.

Have heard bad things about x10's on other sites. Lots of transient voltage problems cause them to come on and off at weird times. You might want to look into it a little more. Sorry I dont have any links, just wanted you to be aware of the possible negatives.

G

Strainwhore- thanks for the tip. I'll check into it before I do any buying.

G

I just sprinkled about .4 in unpressed kief on top of BC Sweettooth. So im not really sure, but that sounds like it wont produce the best buds. And thats not sufficent/replicated light.

Nuggy

POd said:
I just sprinkled about .4 in unpressed kief on top of BC Sweettooth. So im not really sure, but that sounds like it wont produce the best buds. And thats not sufficent/replicated light.

You wouldn't know unless you have tried it, now would you?

Nope, you sure wouldn't.

G

Great thread. The Skeptics are half right. Faster? Yes. More? No. At least not on my 2 grows in which I employed this photo period variation. The 18 hour complete cycle (6 on 12 off) did not produce more weed or hermies in my garden. It is a technique used to shave about 25 - 30% off your flowering period without compromising the quality of the end product. Most* weed flowers/finishes in a rythym based on a certain number of Night periods. As long as you don't fugg wit the 12 off you'll be ok. If you Have to finish fast you would rather harvest a bit Less Ripe Bud than get stuck with unfinished weed now wouldn't ya? It is however a pain in the ass to keep up with that schedule unless you have a digital timer that can be programmed as such.

Last edited:

Nuggy

If you shave time off, you would be growing more.

if you shaved 25% off your time that means you have 5 harvests in the same amount of time as 4 harvests - decrease in time=increase in yield, over time.

G

Maybe. 5 lighter harvests might or might not yield more than 4 heavier ones. You must consider that the weed is getting 50% Less light time in order to decrease the flowering time by 25 - 30%.