What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

if you can smell maryjane through a sealed mason jar

It doesn't, or it shouldn't. I use Kilner jars all the time without a prob. That said, mine are not cheap. Cheaper ones are poorer quality.

Either you got some bud/trich oil from your hands onto the jar (did you pick up the jar while handling buds?) or your seal is bad.

To test, empty the jar, sealed and insert into water. If there's water inside you have a bad seal. If there's no water inside, you had oily hands. Wash the outside of the jar with Fairy Liquid and you'll be good.

clp

Damn are you sure you can smell it? Is the lid metal? Try switching rooms and washing the jar and see if you can still smell it.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I knew a guy who put a valve on the lid and vacuume sealed it,then somehow put nitrogen gas in the jars.
Weird,but probably worked for long term storage. Nitrogen being an inert gas.
I smoked some of the weed...no noticeable difference.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
For long-term storage, you could also drop a little tea candle in there, light it and screw the lid back on.

The candle sucks up all of the oxygen and burns out fast.

No more smell.

here's what happened..i had some northern lights sealed in quart jars..i put the jars inside about a 3 gAllon bucket and put top on bucket..my friend took it home with her and took jars out of the bucket to put in fridge and it freaked her out..(she brought it back today,lol)..i think what happened is i had a couple empty baggies that were inside the bucket but not in a jar..this batch has been curin for 60 days and it's the best smellin stuff i've ever grew..(which aint sayin a lot)..i use a hygrometer to measure humidity and it works great..finally got it down to 62% so it'd cure and thats when it started to smell so good...i'm just beginnin to realize that i've never had any mj that was cured like it should be.....after you grow a few crops (about 10 now) and try to do it right you find out that the average toker doesnt know the 1st thing about good weed.. ....next time i'll tape the lid on ...

NUG-JUG

...i'm just beginnin to realize that i've never had any mj that was cured like it should be.....after you grow a few crops (about 10 now) and try to do it right you find out that the average toker doesnt know the 1st thing about good weed.. ....next time i'll tape the lid on ...

LOL me too I didn't put much thought into a proper cure, but once I did..:kos:

Rose56

You could try either putting some uncooked rice in the bottom of the jar or go to somewhere that has aquarium supplies and pick up a small charcoal cartridge.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
i had picked up some weed about 2 weeks ago and its strong odor penetrated the "ball" jar i was using... out of the jar it was the strongest scented weed i had ever beheld and i have touched TONS of diff weed from TONS of diff people...

I had to put the glass ball jar into a larger jar with the rubber seal and lock... just so my house would not stink... :D

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have two strains that can get their smell through a metal lidded glass jar, dont ask me how (but they are super smelly.)
one is UK cheese cut and the other is my DP Blueberry cut.

must be some good organic weed you've got there cc - homegrown?

VG

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I use the air-tight jars - those glass jars with the rubber seal that got some metal mechanism to close the jar tight.
Most of my weed do smell out of the jar, but I put it in the freezer so it doesn't stink at all until defrosted. If I need to traffic it I just add something to overpower the smell that escapes - mint, basil, bathroom deodorizer etc.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is worse than nuclear radiation! I thought it was impossible to get thru mason jars....must be at the rubber seal, I am sure the glass holds the smell in.

i agree with all you fellers..i cant believe that it gets through those jar lids..cant blame it on old lids cause i bought all new ones..

You should watch this video by Barry Cooper of Kop Busters fame. It's pretty funny...

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Cons...22E0536DB3E/barry-cooper-s-never-get-bus.aspx

He explains how smells "permeate" anything given enough time. That's how come you smell your super dank through the jar. That's why drug dogs bust weed wrapped in layers of whatever stuffed in a gas tank.
nugjug i watched that video..some very interestin stuff about maryjanes smell..i really had no idea a dog could identify the different ingredients in vegetable soup..next time i travel with mj i'm gonna put her right in the middle of a big sack of hamburgers... .wonder how those dogs would react to a 5 gallon bucket full of dead fish with mj in the very bottom? ...hmmmmm

maxkravitz

smell escaping canning jars

smell escaping canning jars

I have also had issues w/ odors escaping jars. I thought maybe the jars weren't sealed tight so I then systematically tightened all jars. The odor was still present. Perhaps the chemical constituents of the odor compounds are able to permeate through the rubber seal. When I seal the cannabis in FoodSaver bags, I can never smell it. Well, a couple times early on I could smell it, but I don't think I got a good seal. BTW, organic OD.

Most rubbers are meant to be gas-impermeable,
which is why I made the post I did. Cheap jars do not have
quality rubber seals.

A thin smear of vaseline will help stop the rubber seal
from sticking to its container and maintain the seal.

After a while tho rubber vulcanises, but I don't imagine that's
the problem here.

It was great to read of all the dank buds people are getting,
I'm rather jealous! But a Kilner jar is a Kilner jar that is designed
not to let smells outside!