What's new

Make your own LED light?

tribe

Forgive me if this sounds a little stupid, but is there any reason that you can't just solder 500 little led's onto a board, add a ballast and wallah, your very own 500w led light for $100 ? :rastsa:

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
You can't use just any LEDs. They need to emit a specific wavelength and have the proper viewing angle (how the light spreads) for your setup. The LEDs you need are very expensive, and you will also need to use an LED driver to power the LEDs. It's definitely feasible, but the cost wouldn't be as cheap as you think.

There is a site where a guy reviews LED grow lights (not cannabis related.) On his site he has a DIY forum where people discuss DIY LED lights on a more advanced level. Unfortunately I can't find the site anymore. It had a ghetto 1998-style layout and a black BG, but was very informative and is probably the only site that objectively reviews LED grow lights (he doesn't sell anything.) I'll continue searching..

Neuromancer

You can't use just any LEDs. They need to emit a specific wavelength and have the proper viewing angle (how the light spreads) for your setup. The LEDs you need are very expensive, and you will also need to use an LED driver to power the LEDs. It's definitely feasible, but the cost wouldn't be as cheap as you think.

There is a site where a guy reviews LED grow lights (not cannabis related.) On his site he has a DIY forum where people discuss DIY LED lights on a more advanced level. Unfortunately I can't find the site anymore. It had a ghetto 1998-style layout and a black BG, but was very informative and is probably the only site that objectively reviews LED grow lights (he doesn't sell anything.) I'll continue searching..

I think http://www.greenpinelane.com/ might be the site you are referring to.

B

bipotato

I would love to build an LED array that has a 4x4 footprint.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of results an equivalent-wattage of LEDs compared to HIDs would deliver for a ScrOG. For instance, 1000w of LEDs covering 4x4, not the other way around.

staank

Knna, who I believe is a european grower has posted some info about this. I think he has organized group buys of lights for people to build their own.

there is a guy whho used to post on here about building your own LEDs as well... cant recall the name but I do remember there was something about the power supply or type of power needed for LED - you cant just plug wire to a ballast I think...

Anyway... yeah lots of people have done it successfully. do your research carefully and good luck to you.

Wish I had time for projects like this :)