What's new

Any1 using canna nutes with ro water

D

dunkybones

I've used canna nutes with straight ro, straight tap, and a blend. I never noticed any difference in plant quality, but the canna nutes mixed with straight ro needs to be ph'ed Up, whereas tap or blended lands a solid 5.7-5.9 pH with no buffering needed. I've never used cal-mag because I've not noticed it being needed.

2Lazy

I used RO water with canna Coco A and B and I also supplemented botanicare cal-mag plus at the suggestion of my local hydro store owner. They had test grows showing canna with and without cal-mag plus. The plants without showed Iron deficiency, yellow new growth, while the plants with the cal-mag+ were a good 25% larger as well. Now they were growing peppers and chards, so it's not exactly the same, but it worked well for me.

During the vegetative cycle I used 15ml of cal-mag+ to 15ml of A and 15ml of B per gallon with extremely exceptional results. In flowering I had to tone down the cal mag by about 30% because it does contain some nitrogen. I live in a large city with over 1,000,000 people so treated tap water is never an option. Even I feel better once I stopped drinking it and moved myself over to RO water. Next time around I plan on using some kind of silicon supplement and more biologicals in my mix, like humic and fulvic acid.

CovertCrops

I have had to use Cal-mag with some strains while others didn't need it when using Canna nutes with straight RO. I don't usually use it with tap water, because my tap water is .3 EC and most of my strains seem to be ok with that, a few ask for more MG. Hope that helps.

chr0nicxs

I read somewhere Canna nutrients are similer to Hesi in the way theyre designed to be used with tap water, If using RO water you need to be adding micro-nutrients. I'll try and find the link

Hydropimp

Veteran
Thanks for the replies every one.

I have a ro filter bought the nutes have the tent picking up the coco tomorrow. Just want to get everything straight before I germ the beans.

I will use tap water if I need to. But have not check the ec of the tap yet will do it tomorrow. I have cal mag just want to do everything right form the start.

mojo420

When I used a 50/50 mix of tap/ro, I cussed cal-mag+ - as soon as my tap got too shitty to use, I had to run straight RO. 2mL/gallon is perfect in my garden. The A and B have trace minerals in them, just not enough to be run without what tap water supplements with unless you add cal-mag.

Hydropimp

Veteran
Mojo

I have the filter and the cal mag. When do you start to apply the 2ml/gl to the mix?

I know some strains are going to want more than others.

Thanks everyone as soon as I get everything ready i'll post pics so you guys can see.

mojo420

From seed, my first feed is at about day 7, give or take a day - really just whenever I see the first true leaves are just buds in the center of the growth tip. I add 0.5mL/gallon Cal-Mag+ and 0.5mL/gallon each of Canna's A and B. With the ec of my RO water added in, that's an ec of approximately 0.2. I'll increase the A and B as I see the seedling needing it. When I'm feeding the plants 2mL/gallon of A and B, I'll go up to 1mL/gallon cal-mag. I only start adding the full 2mL/gallon of cal-mag when I put them in my trays and hook them up to the reservoir. I run seedlings quick at 5-7 nodes so they may or may not be eating at their full adult strength by the time I flip them.

If you're using Canna Coco A and B, 2mL/gallon will give you all the cal-mag your grow needs, if you're using 100% RO. I had def problems at 1mL/gal of cal-mag and have not had any since increasing to 2mL/gal - that's been about a year and a half ago. I pop beans and run strains that are new to me in at least one tray almost every grow I do and I haven't found a strain yet that needs any more than that.... all this has just been my experience, in my garden...

Hydropimp

Veteran
Mojo thats great info buddy. Yeah am going straight ro got everything I need so far.

Mojo do you start seeds in coco?

RetroGrow

Veteran
I read somewhere Canna nutrients are similer to Hesi in the way theyre designed to be used with tap water, If using RO water you need to be adding micro-nutrients. I'll try and find the link

That's correct.
Canna is made to be used with tap water with PPM around 200, as per their web site.

mojo420

Mojo thats great info buddy. Yeah am going straight ro got everything I need so far.

Mojo do you start seeds in coco?

Yes. I fill my 4 inch square pots with coir even with the top. I lightly drop the pot into the palm of my other hand about 5 times to barely pack it. That settles the coir down into the pot about a quarter inch on the sides. I take one of those red ketchup plastic squeeze bottles and fill it with RO water - don't worry about pH'ing it cuase it takes so little to move its pH, that it's gonna get yanked where the coir takes it anyway - I squeeze water out in a pattern to wet the whole surface. Then I continue watering the pot in a pattern so it all gets about the same amount of water. I stop when I just start to get a return out of the bottom and by that time, the coir has settled maybe a half inch down into the pot. I've marked a kitchen match with a fine tip felt marker at 1/4 inch up from the bottom - NOT the match head. I lay the seed in the center of the pot and center the end of the match stick on it - I press it into the coco til it gets to the bottom of that mark on the match and then I just sort of cover it with a few bits of coco that I rake over from the side. I let a few drops of water hit that and it settles it till you can't tell anything was done. As the match pushes the seed into the coir, the seed naturally turns onto its side and ends up sideways in the hole and firmly in contact with the coir.

I recently germed 2 more strains of seeds I've got - 1 strain was freshly cured seeds and came up like clockwork in 48 hours. The other strain was from seeds 2-3 years old, I can't remember, lol - but they took from 72-96 hours.

Some seed batches more than others, but there's so little resistance to the seed coming up through that hole that about half the seedlings will still be wearing their seed hulls - least that's been my experience... If there's any viability in seeds at all, the above should pop them - they don't get water again till the pot is light and generally, by then, they're ready for a really small, baby food dose of ferts - :D

Hydropimp

Veteran
Mojo whats going on bro?

I set up the 12k btu window a/c today and got the 4x8 tent almost done.

I took a reading of the tap water to day ph 8.3 and ec 0.27.

What do you think use the ro filter or use the tap. I know the ec of the tap water has to be 0.2.

Will germ some seeds tonight I have seeds that are about 4-5yrs old hope they will do there thing.

Thanks for all the help bro.

Latest posts

Latest posts