What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neo's DIY Low Cost Dry Box

Neo 420

Veteran
Just want to share with everyone my DIY dry box that I have used for years. I recently created a couple more (due to demand) and incorporated a couple of changes to fit my situation. Due to being stoned, I forgot to document the process with pictures as I made the boxes so all pics are of the completed project. I welcome anyone who duplicates to add or suggest ideas to make it better.
On we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Materials:
30 to 60 Gallon Tubs (I buy mine from Walmart) 5$ to 14$ each
String 2$
Computer Fan (Swipe one out of an old computer) 5$
Drill (Or something to poke holes with)
Filter (Preferably HEPA) 5$
Cloth Pins 5$ to 10$
Carpet knife (Or something to cut the diameter of the fans with on the tub)
Tape (Or something to secure the filter over the drilled air holes) 5$
Old sheet or pillow cases

Process:
Drill 3 sets of holes for airflow on one side of the tub like this:
You want just enough holes to allow some air to pull from the top and bottom and flow threw your dry box.

On the opposite side of the tub attach a small computer fan like such:

I used sheetrock screws to secure the fan onto the tub. I then used a marker to outline the diameter of the fan on the box and used the carpet knife to carve out the outline. Also the fan should be exhausting the air, blowing it out of the tub rather than blowing into the tub.
Next I drilled small holes for the string to be ran across the top. Drill the appropriate number of holes for the strings. My orginal box ran 3 lines across where my new boxes runs 5 lines. Run how many lines you think you can cram into the box but remember to try not to have the buds touching each other and leave room for air flow. On my original box I knotted the end of the strings to secure them running across the tub and on my new boxes I tied the ends all together:

I then cut my hepa filter into squares that were big enough to fully cover the 3 sets of drilled ventilation holes. I secure the filter on the outside of the tub over the drilled holes with heady duty tape. Try not to tape over the area of the filter that is in front of the drilled holes. That would defeat the purpose!:

You can hang the branches with the bud on them from the string, securing them with clothes pin or by leaving a snag or hook on the stem (My bud is past the drying stage so no pics of the bud in the actual boxes. Such a stoner move!!!) Once all the stems are hanging, I cover the top of the tub with a old sheet to provide a better seal when I put the lid on:

Try not to let the sheet hang low over the sides so the fan and vent holes are not blocked.

Below are pics from the bud I just took out of the DIY dry box and some related material.

If you would like to know why I have a hygrometer in my cure jar visit here
Its thread by a community member named Simon on how to obtain the perfect cure. A MUST VISIT FOR ALL!!

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Harvest!!

Neo 420

Veteran
It's usually dry within 5 to 7 days. But since I now used Simon's method of curing, I take the bud out on day 5. My next mod will incorporate a scrubber. When it comes to drying times I think it should always dry out for a minimum of 5 days.

dddownlowww

This looks a lot like mine, but i'm finding it just doesn't dry em fast enough... Maybe I just need more intake. I've got some in there now that have been for 3 week, but still aren't 'snap' dry, and are still to moist for grinding.

Neo 420

Veteran
This looks a lot like mine, but i'm finding it just doesn't dry em fast enough... Maybe I just need more intake. I've got some in there now that have been for 3 week, but still aren't 'snap' dry, and are still to moist for grinding.

Do you have fan on the dry box? If so what kind? I notice one thing is you can not over crowd the buds or airflow is impacted.