What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh new DNA from China!

First let me state I live in a far removed area of Yunnan where I am the only caucasion within a very large section. I am quite assured no one has ever had access to the genetics found here before. This area is not bordering any of the other popular cannabis landrace producing countries either.

So while walking through my remote village in Yunnan earlier today I found some feral cannabis growing. I later found an old woman vending hemp seed along with sunflower and such on the street. I bought a thousand or so seed for around a dollar and was on my way. I later sorted the seeds into the following categories:

There were 100 gigantic seeds, far larger than any cannabis I had previously seen. They were each about three to four times the size of a standard seed.

There were 20ish black seeds of standard to somewhat small size.

There were also 10 or 20 orangish seeds. I had never seen seeds so brightly pigmented before.

There were 10 or 20 striped seeds. The kind you usually find when buying for growing.

There were also three seeds with purple pigmentations. I figure these must certainly come from purple buds.

I am curious as to what you all feel I should do with these seeds. They are not definately from the same local landraces I seen and could simply be the common hemp seed grown throughout yunnan. (all cannabis is used for hemp in China so please realize this is not the same as north american hemp that has been standardized to have a low thc level)

However if they are the local landraces I truly feel it is important to preserve these genetics. I will inquire tomorrow with the woman to find out more details of where the seed stock comes from.

I would also like to say hello and greetings to everyone here as this is my first (not to be deleted) post lol :D

Now in response to the previous postees I had read :

Dr. Dank - "collect all the seeds you can find out a little more about it and get some grows kicking "

The grows wouldn't be for awhile. I have a pregnent wife that needs to go stateside in the next five months. As for collecting, hell, that's exactly what I am thinking! I am really fascinated at the amazing variety of simply seeds available here. I can't even wait until I get a chance to see what comes from them. Some of my seeds are BRIGHT orange. I have never seen anything like it. Others having the purple hues indicate to me the buds must have had some purple happening themselves. Then the giant seeds are completely unlike cannabis altogether! If I didn't know before hand what they were and tasted them to make sure I would never have guessed.

Phantom - "isnt hemp seed like very very low in THC and only grown for other uses other then smoking"

Hemp seed is grown for purposes other than smoking. Though, here illicit cannabis use isn't common or even heard of by most. The "hemp seed" they have is simply wild strains standardized to produce the most edible seeds. That in and of itself does not imply the THC would lower. That is to say, they very likely would have THC levels similar to that of the wild varieties they came from. Which varies considerably in undomesticated strains.

"..id throw them in the garbage being you dont know what or where they came from"

Well I know they are grown locally. They were being sold by an old lady on the street vending seeds like sunflower alongside. It is more a question of where the genetics come from. If it is the same being used everywhere else then it is not quite as special as if it were a locally created cultivar.

Flying Goat - I wish I would have read your comment before it was too late haha. I will try to up my count starting in this thread. As I grow I will move out and into the rest of the forums. I felt like you though and thought being as this is such a remote place in China there is definately value in preserving any local cultivar found here!

*Update* The photos are in!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
what a cool story! def collect what you can and when you get back to the states, or when you have time and space to grow, get on it! haha...i hope when that time comes you are still arouind here to show us what comes of it!

Flying Goat

Don't stress over Phantom's post. He's a newbie who has obviously never had access to a lab regarding THC & CBD values...

Cannabis ruderalis is VERY valuable & does NOT have to be low potency... If you have any doubts, please contact ArcticSun & ask about the value of Ruderalis... I, on the other hand, who suffer from an inflammatory illness, see TREMENDOUS value in ruderalis...

The mistake you made was offering to share seed on the forums. That is a definite No-No here & can result in your being banned... Please don't get banned - we need you on here.

Check your Visitor Messages - you have mail!

Hugs from Bama,

FG

Yeah, definately! I will put some pics of these strange seeds tomorrow. I will also post some pics of the wild plants I saw. Unfortunately the largest of them was mulled in half by my wife. She (chinese) had no idea that the seeds she had been eating her entire life and the plant her family used regularly in cooking was the same "weed" I had told her I was so fond of. When I picked a leaf she wanted one too and ended up taking the top half of the plant lol. It's just a pup though so I'm sure it'll rebound before all is said and done. The other four growing next to it are all considerably smaller (perhaps the larger is male).

I sent you an email FlyingGoat so check your inbox when you get the chance.

love?

Cool story!

If they are grown locally maybe you could go visit the fields? If you go during the right time of the year you'd be able sample some buds too without having to grow them out yourself. And also you could pick seeds from the most potent plants. And ask the farmer where he got the seed from... Not to mention visiting some Yunnanese cannabis farms quite simply sounds like fun. :)

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First I would like to say greetings and welcome to ICMag. You will find a lot of good people here.

Congratulations on finding what may be rare Landrace Genetics. Please hold on to them like you plan and hopefully in time grow them out, then test them and possibly breed those that are well suited as having "Medicinal" qualities.

Cannabis genetics are getting stale and redundant and the community needs someone like yourself to infuse something unique into it.

Best Wishes and Blessings to you and your Pregnant wife.

:ying:

D

danny karey

Here's a strain from ace seeds, i got this from seed boutique:

Breeder : Ace Seeds
Flowering Time : 8 - 9 weeks In/End Sep-Early Oct Out
Environment : Indoor,Outdoor
Seeds Per Pack : 10

Genetics: Dominant indica line coming from Yunnan, a southern China province which borders on Birmania/Myanmar.

This exotic plant, a posible “connection” between the classical indicas and the South Asian sativas, shows features of both sides of the cannabis. On one hand, it grows strong and compact with beautiful wide leaves and a hash plant look. Its flower ripens quickly with a high resin production and a creamy scent.

On the other hand, it shows some Asian sativa features which can be appreciated in the beginning of its effect and in certain incensed and woody aromas.

With all our fondness, we offer to the growers’ community this rarity, hardly introduced in the modern breed. We hope you preserve it and use it for your breeding projects.

Structure: Robust, short-knoted. Indoors, with short veg cycles, it produces columnar plants with a big main bud. Outdoors, with longer veg cycles, it develops a branched, ball-shaped structure.

Aroma: Dense, sweet and creamy indica aroma, with woody and spicy Asian sativa touches.

Potency: Happy and visual at first, then warm, relaxing and pleasant in the end.

Flowering: 8-9 weeks. End of September/ Early October.

Production/m2: Medium-High.

Grow type: Excellent adapted to indoor grows. For outdoor grows, warm and dry climates are recommended.

Here's a link to seedboutique: https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=84&products_id=1915

But I say bring back what ever ya can for sure.

Cool story man!!

Danny

Seems this thread is really starting to take off. I hadn't considered visiting the fields where they were grown at all. I won't be able to when the buds are there this year unfortunately. I will continue to collect interesting local specimens before I depart though. Next year when we come back it will be the perfect opportunity to do some field testing :D

I will already have plenty of beans sprouted by then. Still, I imagine having the chance to go through their fields will be far more rewarding than the guessing game by seed! Though I have to say these are some very unique seeds! The large ones are truly monstrous. They appear deformed like a body builder pumped with steroids, bulging to pop. Then, the red ones are pretty damn interesting themselves! Not to even mention the few purps in there.

I can't wait to see what other strange seeds can be found around here.

The "China Yunnan" strain. From what I had read this strain is based out of Dali. Yunnan is a big place bordering many countries famous for their landraces. The varieties here are beyound many. It is even speculated all modern medical cannabis derived from the varieties in Yunnan! I just happen to be in a unique place that is off the grid. Even the bordering country is unknownst to the cannabis world. This tells me the weed here may be truly special and I can't wait to see! :)

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this lady has 1000 seeds for a dollar, perhaps you could buy a large amount and send it off to Gypsy to be given as freebies or sold inexpensively.

While you can collect them and grow them in the future, I imagine the best way to preserve these hopefully unique genetics would be to spread them far and wide, and it seems like Gypsy could make that happen securely for all involved.

Neat stuff!

Flying Goat

Exactly right, Mr. Bongjangles!

If these seeds get into Gypsy's hands (identified as unknown China strains, of course), the freebies would be flung far & wide... I'd order something just to get some!

Please DO send some to Gypsy, mate!

So, I did the asking around today that I said I would. The day started with me waking up in the computer bar. I was locked out of my apartment complex the night before because the gates close at midnight. After awaking I made it home and woke up my wife and we were on our way to find the woman from the day before.

When we found her she informed us she infact bought the seeds from a nearby market that sold them somewhat in bulk. She gave us the address and some details of weed in general from what she understood it to be. We arrived at the market and found the shop with the big burlap bag full. It cost 75 cents per kg and I bought one kg. After talking to them I was dissapointed to learn this wasn't local seed but a variety created in kunming to have extra large seeds. But they eased my concern when they mentioned "the local variety has far too small of seeds to enjoy eating thats why only a few people farm it here" which let me know there was infact a local variety both in the wild and being cultivated by a few.

Next, we headed off to the plants from the day before. I couldnt help but worry as to their fate though. They were growing in the middle of rubble from a torn down building. After actually inspecting their substrate and such I was abit surprised to find they were basically growing in concrete, red brick, and clay all mashed together. The "dirt" was without water. It hasnt rained here in months or something. The plants seemed surprisingly healthy though. I thought it interesting they were so hardy.

After talking some with my wife we decided to stay in China for awhile. You are all aware what doors this opened. I found an old chopstick in the rubble and started excavating. it was really a challenge to extract the plants from their substrate. Their root systems were literally growing in the cracks between concrete and brick. While extracting them I noticed an interesting smell on my finger. I wondered "I scratched my armpit, maybe its just my BO" but I had to know for sure. I scratched the stem abit with my fingernail and gave it a sniff. Sure enough the odor was not me but the plant. It had a very strong citrus and Body odor smell combined with a bit of spice, in all fairly perfume like. Despite comparing it to BO, it was a very pleasant smell. I scratched and sniffed the remaining plants to find they all had variations of this odor. I was quite impressed. Actually, I messed up the time line because now I remember it was the smell that made me decide to dig them up haha.

So, they are now all in containers with good (maybe, its chinese) soil and freshly watered with mineral water. I have pics of everything but the phone is out of money and wont let me email them to myself. Also, we lost the usb cord for it. So, I will add the pics later on with updates as well.

As for sending off the seeds to be given away... I am not sure I would feel right doing so. Considering these have never been bred for psychoactive effects one way or the other they will all vary considerably I am sure. While yes many will find interesting and novel traits many others will be pissed off to find they grew what alloted to mexican schwagg. I think if perhaps I, or others with me, breed out a generation or so first and find the keepers and make seed from there it would be a far better start for these. I just don't want to tarnish the varieties reputation before it even has a chance.

On to another note.... I have never transplanted from one substrate to another before. I was not able to leave the roots coated in any of their original material, as there was none it was simply rocks and brick. The plants look very saggy and unhealthy at the moment. What do you all think about this? Is that common at this point? Oh, also some other notes about their physiology. They have nine blade leaves ranging from very slender and sativa to fairly stout and indica like. One had 3 blade leaves on its early shoots then shot to nine while the others started with five and went to nine. Even on the same plant some express both indica and sativa like leaf structures. Three of the plants are in the beginning stages of branching and one is a straight shot without branching.

Flying Goat

Splash - I think they will be OK if they are hardy enuf to grow in that rough a substrate for beginning. I can't wait to see how they will respond when treated to some decent soil enriched with barnyard (aged) manure...

If you are careful to label them, I'm sure Gypsy will handle them responsibly... They would be very interesting to grow out simply for the edible seed, much less the weed.

A few individuals, like me, who suffer from inflammatory illness, would be most interested in growing a few of these & having a lab test samples to determine EXACTLY the chemical makeup - THC and CBDs...

Careful, my friend - you may have a gold mine in your hands & not know it yet...

The seed is definately edible. Infact, it is the only known use for weed around these parts. In Dali they use the plants to make hash for foreignors but the chinese just aren't that into cannabis smoke for medicinal properties. The vast majority don't even realize the seeds they eat are the same "da ma" they call the drug substance.

Anyways, who knows whats to be found in this. I am most excited with the feral plants I found growing in rubble though. If cannabis indica truly split from sativa here in Yunnan I can definately see the ancestrial pre-split characteristics being expressed. They say sativa is tangy and perfume like and these are without exception. Though they smell somewhat reminiscent of BO as well, which is a said indica trait. The plants have nine blade leaves like a sativa but are thicker leaved and abit bushy like an indica. They are across the board walking a fine line between the two classifications and it is remarkably interesting to me!

How do I *spread* the find with gypsy exactly?

Flying Goat

Just contact him thru Seed Boutique.com & leave him a message, mate! He will get back to you, I'm sure.

He's good about things like that...

Also - I can testify that Gypsy's rep is beyond repute. After all, he is one of the originators of this site.

I love to order from them - takes only 6 days to get his beans from the Dam into my hands in Bama...

He is true-blue & top notch, as far as I am concerned. Been around a long time, too.

Flying Goat

You might also consider putting up some seeds at SeedBay.com. It's an auction site where you can write your own descriptions.

I'm sure you'll specify that these are indigenous seeds & how you came to find them...

I would MOST DEF be up to buy a pack of each variety, as my medical research is now leaning more & more toward ruderalis...

Anything that can thrive in such conditions can only do better when properly tended to, methinx...

Latest posts

Latest posts