What's new

Need to know what's going on @ your place?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

No this is not another trailcam thread.

Trailcams are great but they are out nowadays.

If you are using a Trailcam you have to physically remove the pictures from the camera whether that is by exchanging a memory card or the cam itself if it has an internal memory.
Doesn't sound too bad?

Think about it: It can easily happen to accidentally have your own picture stored on the Trailcams memory leaving behind "bona fide" evidence if that cam is found and taken or worst someone waiting for you to retrieve the camera/installing their own surveillance.

Enough of Trailcams.

Get a GSM based camera (cell phone based network) which will immediately (when detected) send you pictures + audio straight to your email and/or cell phone to keep you posted so even if the camera gets found/stolen you will already have the picture(s) unlike with Trailcams where you have to manually retrieve the pics.
That way you will be one step ahead about returning to a potentially questionable location.

Link:
Ebay for under $200 shipped

+ a GSM SIM card (~$40/month) with preferably unlimited picture sending limit such as sold by ATT, T-Mobile & others.
Or use a SIM card provided by "throw away phones" which can be bought anonymously.

attachment.php

Depending on the model they are GMS/GPRS colour or B/W cameras that can be located anywhere in the world with GSM coverage to deliver full color VGA JPEG images on request or on activation of external events.

The pictures can be taken on motion detection, or requested manually by dial up from a PC using a standard modem or by sending a command to the camera to take a picture by SMS or Email.

Some cameras also have caller ID so they can be programmed to recognize the caller and automatically send an image by FTP, Email, HTTP and Post to a web server or to a custom server.

Equipped with extensive I/O capability some cameras can also allow remote reading of external sensors.

They automatically take pictures on detection of sensor change and can be programmed to respond automatically by activation of one or more of its outputs to provide an immediate time critical response whilst also informing the programmable recipients of the nature of the event.

These sensor events can be reported by SMS or Email to a central server or by voice messages to a standard telephone. The pictures can be sent by e mail as an attachment, direct to a web server using FTP or HTTP POST or to a central server.

The remote cameras typically are powered from a wall adapter or a 12V battery however; most also have their own optional back-up battery that allows the cameras keep operating for up two days in the event of the other power sources failure. Some also monitors their main power supply and alerts the owner when the battery is failing thus giving plenty of time to replace it.

Some cameras also monitor the external power source and provide an early warning of low power conditions via SMS or Email allowing you sufficient time to provide on-site maintenance if required.

This is ideal for building sites where power is scarce or for rural areas that have no mains electricity at all.

Some use solar cells for trickle charging the camera battery to extend battery life.

Some cameras also have a DVR capability using removable micro SD cards (I don't recommend that feature). The recording process can be activated remotely or on site by activating one of the inputs eg: with a 1GB memory card the cameras can store up to 60,000 colour JPEG images of 320x240.

Think again if not spending less than $200 is worth (potentially) risking your peace & freedom.

:wave:

Attachments

• GSM camera.jpg
    GSM camera.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
an excellent topic StrainHunter, i've been looking around at these type of devices
didn't know about this particular category
had been looking into using a more standard cell phone with camera and cobbling up an external trigger for picture taking
this looks like a drop in solution

vta

Veteran
Thats cool. i just got an IP camera...now i can stream right to my iphone.

hamstring

Veteran

No this is not another trailcam thread.

Trailcams are great but they are out nowadays.

If you are using a Trailcam you have to physically remove the pictures from the camera whether that is by exchanging a memory card or the cam itself if it has an internal memory.
Doesn't sound too bad?

Think about it:
It can easily happen to accidentally have your own picture stored on the Trailcams memory leaving behind "bona fide" evidence if that cam is found and taken or worst someone waiting for you to retrieve the camera/installing their own surveillance.

I am a guerrilla also and interested in this technology. I have heard of it but if the camera were found wouldn’t you be just as fucked as if they found a trail cam with your picture?

Isn’t there a paper trail, you have to sign up for this service (monthly fee) correct? If so they have your cell phone number unless you use burners but then you have to change you number to the monthly service every time the burner is changed right?

Any info greatly appreciated.
PEACE

igrowone

Veteran
I am a guerrilla also and interested in this technology. I have heard of it but if the camera were found wouldn’t you be just as fucked as if they found a trail cam with your picture?

Isn’t there a paper trail, you have to sign up for this service (monthly fee) correct? If so they have your cell phone number unless you use burners but then you have to change you number to the monthly service every time the burner is changed right?

Any info greatly appreciated.
PEACE

you could be, not sure how stealthy you can be with the activation/payment plan

but you'd think this would be very hard to see in a stealthy location around your grow
how would they know there's such a setup?
of course, if these start to get used a lot, they could be tracked by their signal
but the programming sounds pretty flexible
it can take a snap shot, then won't call out until you call and reset it?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

Use a SIM card from "throw away" cell phones. Buy with cash.
Or hide the camera well and use an ATT or T-Mobile card on a month-to-month base so you won't be paying while the cam is not in use.
ATT offers data only SIM cards, I don't know about T-Mobile.

I don't know what "burner" you are talking about there...but the pics from the camera can be sent to a disposable Email such as Yahoo, Hotmail etc. or your PDA, Smart Phone (both questionable) or SMS (you won't get a pic).

You need to ask yourself what is more important to you:

Hiding the camera well
(preferred method!) and knowing what's going on during your absence or returning to a potentially compromised spot if you don't have a camera.

On a side note:

If you are a serious outdoor grower you will be going to your spot(s) many times and be spending a LOT of time at that place.
Starting from bringing in supplies, prepping your spot, sexing, watering/feeding, bugs, animals, potential deficiency's, removing dead leaves, etc. blah blah.

Most important DO NOT TELL ANYONE about it *EVER*.

Lose lips sink ships!

gingerale

Veteran
yes, you can get those at&t "go" phones at wal-mart, they ask you for your zip code (in order for it to pick a phone number for you) and thats it. you dont have to provide ID. you can buy the refill cards right there in the store, all with cash of course. with t-mobile, they will ask for your name and address when you buy a prepaid card, just to put in their computer as a customer record or whatever i guess, since he did not ask to see my id. i got the impression i could given him any name or address and no questions would be ask. both of them also offer certain plans like unlimited text, unlimited data, whatever, that you can opt into by dialing a special code, then it just withdraws money out of your balance automatically.

igrowone

Veteran
i would prefer encrypted, but for a small grow, you could probably make do
if the phone is setup with bogus info, and likewise a gmail account then viewing through a proxy is going to be pretty safe
pretty much like pics on this site, there's so much growing going on, a couple plant grow is pretty low on the radar

boroboro

Thanks for the ideas, Strainhunter.

Perhaps Hephaestus' objection comes from the possibility that THEY are tracking the phone calls. Presumably a GPS location is tied to the call, as is a photo of cannabis. Not a great start. Of course if THEY aren't watching it could be a great idea.

There was another similar thread a year or two ago, about grow room surveillance. A good idea from that thread was to aim the cameras to watch activities of people, but without showing any incriminating background scenes. i.e. film the door, not the plants.

ROJO145

Veteran
Hiding the camera well (preferred method!) and knowing what's going on during your absence or returning to a potentially compromised spot if you don't have a camera.
Save the money,get a cheap game cam,there is no benefit to me getting an email or text with a picture of someone rippin my shit,just like the game cam.when ya come there its all gone.Like ya said,ya gonna be there alot anyway so just swap out the stick and go.Gonna get tiring gettin a txt or mail every time a fox runs bye or a crow flies thru.HIDE the cheap game cam good,save hundreds on a cam and service,its NOT as simple as buyin a phone and swappin the sim.Nice tech,good idea,but save the dough,a picture of dudes taking your shit means its to late anyway,wether I get the pic now or see it when I plug it in later:tiphat:

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I totally hear you ROJO but if my shit was ripped or busted I wouldn't want to come within 100 miles of my spot. Just me.

On the flip side guys....... is there any way for them to see what number it's dialing out to if the find the actual unit/ Because on the flip side, i would rather them find a trail cam with their pic on it then a gps dialer with my info on it.....

Course you could use a pay per go cell phone

smiley

igrowone

Veteran
dial info would be on the cell phone company's logs, and on the phone
but the internet capable setups shouldn't need that
but these phones are tiny! you think they are going to do some cell phone search on every small grow they find?
hide it well, and it's not going to be found
what scares me is a LE trailcam that snaps my picture!
which is why i would want to see my grow space before i walk in

Hephaestus

Remember cell networks aren't secure... Police do have ESN scanning capabilities.

How many cellphones are you going to find active on a rural road? Don't think they'd pull a warrant if they think/know there's a grow nearby?

There was a recent grow room surveilance thread - where I detailed how I'd do it with a netbook; remote location - yeah youd need a data stick - but at least you could control it's use (ie turn off when not in use).

igrowone

Veteran
Remember cell networks aren't secure... Police do have ESN scanning capabilities.

How many cellphones are you going to find active on a rural road? Don't think they'd pull a warrant if they think/know there's a grow nearby?

There was a recent grow room surveilance thread - where I detailed how I'd do it with a netbook; remote location - yeah youd need a data stick - but at least you could control it's use (ie turn off when not in use).

depends on grow location, a cell phone signal is going to stand out in a remote location
but the areas i'm thinking of wouldn't likely be noticed
trick is to trigger picture without a bunch of false alarms
i just want to know if something big walked through my grow, so still thinking on the best trigger setup

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
And I am saying it again (as already posted):

Trailcams are out, they were good while GSM cams didn't exist but a trailcam will do you more harm than good if found.
Plus how will a trailcam warn you from not returning to your grow?

Too easy to have your own pic taken (which is stored on the trailcams memory) and a trailcam will not warn you from a potential hazard so you don't return to your guerilla grow!

And if you listen to this guy you're good to go:

yes, you can get those at&t "go" phones at wal-mart, they ask you for your zip code (in order for it to pick a phone number for you) and thats it. you dont have to provide ID. you can buy the refill cards right there in the store, all with cash of course. with t-mobile, they will ask for your name and address when you buy a prepaid card, just to put in their computer as a customer record or whatever i guess, since he did not ask to see my id. i got the impression i could given him any name or address and no questions would be ask. both of them also offer certain plans like unlimited text, unlimited data, whatever, that you can opt into by dialing a special code, then it just withdraws money out of your balance automatically.

dtfsux

Save the money,get a cheap game cam,there is no benefit to me getting an email or text with a picture of someone rippin my shit,just like the game cam.when ya come there its all gone.Like ya said,ya gonna be there alot anyway so just swap out the stick and go.Gonna get tiring gettin a txt or mail every time a fox runs bye or a crow flies thru.HIDE the cheap game cam good,save hundreds on a cam and service,its NOT as simple as buyin a phone and swappin the sim.Nice tech,good idea,but save the dough,a picture of dudes taking your shit means its to late anyway,wether I get the pic now or see it when I plug it in later:tiphat:

Personally I would not be worried about rippers.

I would rather know before I ventured into the woods that the cops were at my spot tearing it up. I really would not want to walk into the middle of that armed with load of nutrients.

clp

Awesome thread strainhunter.. Just stumbled upon these :D

Everyone is so focused on using these with outdoor grows..
Wouldn't this be great to have at a grow house/indoor location?

I would not have it on any plants, only my main door.

If someone stopped by, It'd be easy to tell if that notice was from the police or just another jehovah witness comin to my door :D

Has anyone actually purchased one of these?
How well do the cameras actually work?

I know they are dropshipped directly from china.. and I am always worried about the quality behind the chinese sweatshops. I really don't want to spend $150 on something that will break in a week.

Latest posts

Latest posts