What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

strange new growth at end of cycle

My prized plants had been flowering for 8 weeks already... some for about 9-10.

One day when i opened the tent i noticed new white hairs... alot of them... on alot of the plants...

I definatly didnt expect to see that and was a little weirded out cause they didnt even look ripe any more.. all the new hairs and buds made them look like mid-flower...

any ways within the next week... they kept puttin on more and more buds and hairs and i just kinda figured.. ehhh more weight.. thats cool.

then i opened the tent again and noticed it looked like alot of them were starting to grow new leafs as well at the top of the plants

one straight up looks like its re-vegging and i have no idea why... theres no light leeks its a freakin tent and theres no holes or tears or anything.

both the lights in there are both on their own timers and both are operating fine.. i watched the timers shut the lights off so thats not the problem..

now i got this mutant/abnormal and green banana looking buds. dont know why or what to do about it.

i dont know if this is why but i was recently looking at them again and noticed that there are a lot of pregnant calyxes one of them grew a dick a apparently but i still dont think that would cause the mutant looking re-veg growth problem thingy.

any body got anything on this?!

1/3 perlite 1/3 peat moss 1/3 top soil.

47ml per gal pbp bloom, 6ml per gal AN Nirvana, 1-2 drops superthrive, half of them get 1 tsp/gal molasses and half dont (experiment) they used to get calmag but i just switched to tap water.

Here is a normal looking one in the same tent ( i think its a diff strain then most that are doin the goofy re-veg thing)

and a group shot of a few of them.

C

cyberwax

foxtailing? how close are the lamps, alot of radiant heat? How high is your ec/ppm?

And btw where the hell are the fan leaves? :(

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
He has overfed the hell out of those plants, and I am sure pH has played a role in why those leaves have dropped; not to mention since it's flowering leaves could have yellowed, but I doubt that..... sounds like all the leaves dropped from dying.

7ml per gal pbp bloom, 6ml per gal AN Nirvana, 1-2 drops superthrive, half of them get 1 tsp/gal molasses and half dont (experiment) they used to get calmag but i just switched to tap water.

dude, thats insane, how often are you feeding this to them? I think you are refeering to banana buds.... are you talking about ones that look like a calyx, but look odd? this is due to stress on the plant or the strain is unstable. In other words it looks like your plants are herming male/female plant.

Why did you want to feed your plants that much?
What kind of soil are you using?

Are you giving anything to it that has nitrogen in it?

Were your plants in those buckets since you planted them?
Your plants are stretchy too, you ever move the light closer to them or just put them in there and let them grow to the light? Nutrient lockout can cause lanky plants along with the genes of the plants.... when you over fed your plants you cause other important nutrients not become available to the plants, not to mention when the pH Is off it makes matters way worse.

He has overfed the hell out of those plants, and I am sure pH has played a role in why those leaves have dropped; not to mention since it's flowering leaves could have yellowed, but I doubt that..... sounds like all the leaves dropped from dying.

7ml per gal pbp bloom, 6ml per gal AN Nirvana, 1-2 drops superthrive, half of them get 1 tsp/gal molasses and half dont (experiment) they used to get calmag but i just switched to tap water.

dude, thats insane, how often are you feeding this to them? I think you are refeering to banana buds.... are you talking about ones that look like a calyx, but look odd? this is due to stress on the plant or the strain is unstable. In other words it looks like your plants are herming male/female plant.

Why did you want to feed your plants that much?
What kind of soil are you using?

Are you giving anything to it that has nitrogen in it?

Were your plants in those buckets since you planted them?
Your plants are stretchy too, you ever move the light closer to them or just put them in there and let them grow to the light? Nutrient lockout can cause lanky plants along with the genes of the plants.... when you over fed your plants you cause other important nutrients not become available to the plants, not to mention when the pH Is off it makes matters way worse.

i just got a ph/tds/temp meter so im gonna start measering and compensating.

If the ph of my solution is to high or low can i just adjust it with ph up or down??

i feed them that every single time i water them which is usually like 3-4 days.

i said in origional post im using 1/3 perlite 1/3 sphagnum peat moss and 1/3 top soil.

i believe pbp bloom has a little N in it but im not sure... about 1/3 of the fan leaves had died off but when this new growth thing started happening i ripped them all off and fed straight water in hopes to get the plants to stop growing and just ripen up.

i know that at one of them grew a dick cause alot of caylxs are swollen... i pulled one or two off and opened them up and found little green seeds.

I Just slapped myself in the face a bunch of times for overfeeding my plants so much, i really should have known better.

should i be feeding like 1/2 that strength at every watering or 1/2 that strenght every other watering or... what do you do?

i appreciate you calling me on my overfeeding problem.. i definatly needed that....

however... is that what could be causing the strange new growth and the leaves growing out of the top colas?

i have so many other issues going on i didnt get anything back on the new growth at 10 weeks issue. the strain is sapposed to be 100% indica too (afghani #1) so should be done flowering right?

i stuck my head in there during lights off and there definatly is no light leeks.

im gonna go appologize to my plants now :yikes:

mtbazz

I had something similar happen on a grow with Fruit of the Gods. All four plants were in soil, and recieved the same feeding schedule, but towards the end of the flowering cycle one of them "foxtailed". I ended up with about 2-3 inches of new growth on the end of the buds. pretty weird.

foxtailing? how close are the lamps, alot of radiant heat? How high is your ec/ppm?

And btw where the hell are the fan leaves? :(

i have air cooled reflectors and the temps in the tent are a little too cool at 73-74. lights on.

there are two styles of plants there. the ones that are tied over and have flowerd side ways. there all in the middle directly under the light i would say about a foot and a half from the bulb and a foot from the entire light. (big reflector)

the ones on the sides are sog style growing straight up and those are real close the reflector probably there on the outer edged so there still probably a good foot to foot and a half from the bulb.

i dont know my ppm cause i just got meter, i just know ive been using about 49 ml per gal which is like 4 ml over the full strength rec dose. (i know my baddy im terrible and ill stop) *slaps wrist*

J

jim_browsky

Lucas Ratio for PBP

Lucas Ratio for PBP

For full flowering is 18mL/gal PBP Bloom for soil, 5 mL/gal PBP
Bloom for Hydro, and 5mL/gallon of CalMag.

47mL/ gallon of bloom!!! Your pH must have been like
3-4 range. When I add the above mixture of nutes to RO water at
pH 7, the nutes bring it down to pH 4.7. And yes use pH up/down.
If you use the ratio I gave you above, you would cut it in half and
feed it to them every time(and bring the pH to 6.0-6.5), with the
occasional plain watering. Good luck.

B

bobdobalina420

One thing I have heard numerous times is that people stop using Super Thrive after veg. Its awesome for that cycle, but after that it can work too good and cause stretching/deformed growth...

C

cyberwax

problem solved then :p

And radiant heat aint the same as the temprature in the tent, radiant heat is the heat you feel when you hold your hand close to the bulb/reflector. A combination of heat and too high ec will foxtail most strains, just had this happen to some of mine until i realised it was my ec meter that was broken, didnt help to calibrate it either, luckily tho i had a new one that showed 2.55 ec when the broken one just showed 2.1. Adwa is not a recommended brand in this house.

One thing I have heard numerous times is that people stop using Super Thrive after veg. Its awesome for that cycle, but after that it can work too good and cause stretching/deformed growth...

U know what, i had a feeling that it could possibly be the super thrive... i read on the bottle that among other things it calls itself an "extra-life-giver" when i read that i thought... hmmm maybe that why i got that goin on

this isnt the first time its happened either... im gonna try stop usin it half way through flowering next time, on some, others ill stop after veg and see what works better.

Thanks for your input.

For full flowering is 18mL/gal PBP Bloom for soil, 5 mL/gal PBP

47mL/ gallon of bloom!!! Your pH must have been like
3-4 range. When I add the above mixture of nutes to RO water at
pH 7, the nutes bring it down to pH 4.7. And yes use pH up/down.
If you use the ratio I gave you above, you would cut it in half and
feed it to them every time(and bring the pH to 6.0-6.5), with the
occasional plain watering. Good luck.

Lucas formula? is that some kind of general consensus on pbp for mary jane? ohhh man no wonder. wow. wow.

problem solved then :p

And radiant heat aint the same as the temprature in the tent, radiant heat is the heat you feel when you hold your hand close to the bulb/reflector. A combination of heat and too high ec will foxtail most strains, just had this happen to some of mine until i realised it was my ec meter that was broken, didnt help to calibrate it either, luckily tho i had a new one that showed 2.55 ec when the broken one just showed 2.1. Adwa is not a recommended brand in this house.

Thx cyber wax, i appreciate it. that makes perfect sense. next time ill be sure watch the radiant heat and im gonna start feedin WAY WAY less nutes. some times it takes a small setback to learn a good lesson.

Browsky - that was helpful thank you. Im sure i can find or calculate the ratios for pbp myself but if you happen to have a link handy that has the calculated ratios for pbp or one with a bunch of different brands would be sweet cause i plan on testing out alot of diff nutes real soon.

like i said if u got one handy id love that but im sure i can find it on this site somewhere or calculate myself with the link u already gave me.

thx again.

J

jim_browsky

For full flowering it is 18mL/gal PBP Bloom for soil, 5 mL/gal PBP
^^^I use this for basic flowering, when they first switch to flower I
give them 10 mL/gal PBP Bloom for Hydro, 5mL/gal PBP Bloom for
Soil, and 5mL/gallon CalMag, b/c PBP Bloom Hydro is higher in N.

For veg at full strength it is, IIRC(I have it written down),
25mL/gallon PBP Grow for Hydro and 10 mL/gallon CalMag. Right
out of the aero-cloner I go with 12mL/gallon PBP Grow for Hydro
and 5mL/gallon of CalMag. I adjust these basic ratios depending on
strain and other variables. I got these values by using the nutrient
calculater on the angelfire link. I am not stating that these are the
only ratios you could come up with from using those four PBP nutes
(Grow for Hydro, Bloom for both Soil and Hydro, and Calmag)

You can add other things to this like an EWC/Compost tea or
Liquid Karma. But as far as PK boosters, sweet, etc. It will mess
up your ratios and there is no need for additives when you use
this "formula".

Thank you jim. i used the calculator provided i think i only have the pbp bloom hydro and dont have the soil one.

and this is what it came up with.

1st two weeks 4ml/gal pbp grow and 6ml/gal pbp bloom(hydro)

veg = 12ml/gal pbp grow and 12 ml gal pbp bloom.

flower= 15ml-20ml/gal pbp bloom with a little p/k boosters.

in my other sick plants thread if you read youll see i put the n-p-k ppm break downs of these ratios next to them.. all of which are inside the target goal range of the chart. let me know what you think. thanks jim. peace. happy growin.

basher519

same thing happened to a few of my plants...a few things i KNOW i screwed up

1. gave em too many nutes (new strain for me, a little experimenting =)
2. I brought down my 250mh and then my new 1000 hps toooo close so the tops became deformed/foxtailed

The heat stress def messed with them good...the top cola split off into like 3-5 shoots as if I had topped the bud....kinda fun to watch but a big fat healthy cola woulda been nicer ;) after I brought it up AND GOT SOME CALMAG (just to be safe) and leached and waited, all seems fine again hahah this plant can be quite resilient

anyways, I just figured I'd throw in a couple things that I did, and I had similar results as you..

afterwords I had a little P deficiency b/c I was so scared to feed after overfeeding =P anyways, I've learn a lot from this strain and grow in particular so if I can learn my lesson now, and see effects of what I have done, I doubt it'll happen again =)

cheers and enjoy the harvest!!

oo and one last thing I noticed, out of 3 of my plants that I used as a test group to purposely overfeed to see how they reacted, the strongest one, even tho it lost MOST of its fan leaves, has the MOST trich covered buds ive seen, ever hahah. Itll be interesting to smoke it after compared to my more healthy ones? Dont get me wrong, its prob only like 3-7 grams of dank compared to 14+ of the others, but worth noting too I guess

wopuVR

You said that it was very indicaish in look? some indicas finish as early as like 5-6 weeks. How do you know that 10 weeks was simply too long. I have read that if you let your plants go too long, they will start to grow vegetatively and then the buds get looser and of course the THC breaks down too and gets worse. The hairs or pistils aren't the best way to judge if the plant is done. Most people look at the trichomes with a 30x-100x mini scope bought at radioshack for like 10 bucks. The trichomes, especially the stalked capitate, which are the ones with long necks and a little head, will turn from clear to milky or creamy whiteish, mainly in the head portion, and then eventually to a redish amber that loses the milky quality. When they turn milky, it indicates that new cannabinoids are becoming active. When they turn amber it shows that the THC is breaking down, CBN turns to CBD and delta 9 turns to CBD CBN, all of this is very strain dependent I imagine. The CBD CBN quantities determine how couchlock or indica the stone is, the amount of body high. Basically, if you let them go until 50% or more are amber its going to be a very sink into the couch type high. If you want a more clear heady high, that the sativa's are known for, you should chop earlier, but not until almost all of the trichs look milky at least.

Usually near the end of harvest, the pistils will retract into the calyxes a bit and also the older ones will turn brown. However, if you cut it, the pistils will still turn brown over time while its slowly drying, even when trimmed and cut into individual little buds.

Another note on hermaphroditism... During flower, the female plant is basically trying to get really pregnant. It extends her little hairs and swells up to try to catch pollen thats floating by. By not allowing a male near the females, they continue to get hornier and hornier, creating what they call a sensimilla bud. Everything that the plant does is really just some way of the plant trying to survive, or make sure it's species survives. It's trying really hard to get seeded to create the next generation. Some strains of cannabis are too smart for their own good, or at least our own good actually, they eventually figure out its never going to happen, so they simply grow some balls and impregnate themselves.... and this will almost always happen near the end of the flowering cycle. The hermaphroditic parts it grows aren't male organs exactly... they are mutant growths, usually shaped like yellow bananas, and they will even grow right out of a calyx beside the two pistils, kinda freaky.