What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Music to dry sift kief by!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Music to dry sift by!

I recently noticed a post on a thread having their way with S Sam, suggesting that a radio speaker might be a good way to refine kief, and decided to share this experiment in process.

I originally envisioned building a vibratory dry sieve using the current technology of an eccentric weight on a motor, oriented on the correct plane to produce the motion desired, and with the vibrational frequency controlled by a variable speed drive. In discussing it amongst our geek squad brain childs, it was pointed out to me that a subwoofer driver could provide the frequency and amplitude required for the process and could be run from the speaker output of the average stereo.

Immediately mine and the others minds in the room soared to wondering what artist’s music would produce the most product in the shortest amount of time, with the least contaminants, but alas it turns out to be both simpler than that, and more complicated.

I built a prototype shaker to test the theory and solicited the aid of our audio technician to provide the drivers for a 1960’s era 10” woofer that I salvaged out of my old Fisher 3 way speaker.

Using either an I pod for music, or a signal generator through our own home made 40 watt amplifier, we found that in general, the music provided little sieving action using my specific design, but hit its sympathetic harmonics and worked very well using a square wave signal at about 30 hertz. That means that you can hook the device up to your stereo’s speaker output and plug in a CD with a 30herz square wave signal and be in production.

The task that I have therefore challenged our in house audio genus with, is to incorporate or overlay music over the 30 hertz beat, so that we can sieve to something provocative. Let’s see how they do. Hee, hee, hee………………………….

GW

Attachments

• Accoustical sieving run.jpg
    Accoustical sieving run.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 26
  • Accoustical sieving speaker mount.jpg
    Accoustical sieving speaker mount.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Accoustical sieving assy.jpg
    Accoustical sieving assy.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 29

Bumble Buddy

Maybe try filling a cylinder or cone with dry sift and mount it on the rig and see if it will stratify when vibrated?

C

Chamba

Maybe try filling a cylinder or cone with dry sift and mount it on the rig and see if it will stratify when vibrated?

yes, I think that would be better.

manually dry sift the material through a 100 ~120 lpi mesh

place the rough dry sift on a sheet or board on the speaker

turn on the "music" and observe.

Maybe the way to go is the texture, shape and size of the sheet or board that the dry sift sits on rather than vibration or sound frequency used? Maybe a flatish sheet with concentric corrugations (like a stone dropped in a pond) rather than a flat or cone shape would work better to help separate the round resin heads from the broken plant matter and trichome stalks?

maybe just buy a Bubble Box or DIY with the same 3 mesh size and use a gentle technique....there's a recent thread in this forum with photos from a poster who used a Bubble Box and produced the cleanest,stalk free dry sift I've seen in ages (miles ahead of just about all dry sift macros posted, it was even a close second to Sam's "it's my secret" method.....or as close as any one else has posted)

Happy Hashing!

C

Chamba

one thing is for sure, with the massive amounts of quality pot in medical cannabis states that is available nowdays, new methods of hash production, or at least new variations and improvements, will arise.

What the world needs now is not a method that produces only a small % of very high quality resin (Sam's method produces 10 grams of resin for every kilo of cannabis processed!).... It's relatively easy to produce a very small amount of very pure dry sift and a lot of ok quality dry sift using 3 or 4 meshes, a gentle technique and quality starting material..resift the first 30 seconds worth of resin that falls through over and over again....but what is really needed is a method that separates ALL the resin from the material to the same level of purity.

C

Chamba

with the massive amounts of quality pot in medical cannabis states that is available nowdays, new methods of hash production, or at least new variations and improvements, will arise.

and not only will new improvements arise, so will the percentage of hash smokers. It might seem unlikely now, but when cannabis really becomes legal, most if not all smokers (or inhalers) will use very pure dry sifted cannabis rather than resin + lots of non-active plant matter.

U

unthing

Cool idea! I agree with hash being better than bud in potency and less non-active stuff smoked, even ghettoish drysift with few screens will do. And if worried about leftovers in plant matter, it can always be used to make edibles or extraction with iso/b etc.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How dry was the bud you used?

Still experimenting, but all our test material is well cured, though it was raining outside and not prime, so I am looking at ways to reduce its moisture content.

Best so far on bud is dry and frozen, but I have both some trim and some bud to run today after I try out a new frame and different pore sizes.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

yes, I think that would be better.

manually dry sift the material through a 100 ~120 lpi mesh

place the rough dry sift on a sheet or board on the speaker

turn on the "music" and observe.

Maybe the way to go is the texture, shape and size of the sheet or board that the dry sift sits on rather than vibration or sound frequency used? Maybe a flatish sheet with concentric corrugations (like a stone dropped in a pond) rather than a flat or cone shape would work better to help separate the round resin heads from the broken plant matter and trichome stalks?

maybe just buy a Bubble Box or DIY with the same 3 mesh size and use a gentle technique....there's a recent thread in this forum with photos from a poster who used a Bubble Box and produced the cleanest,stalk free dry sift I've seen in ages (miles ahead of just about all dry sift macros posted, it was even a close second to Sam's "it's my secret" method.....or as close as any one else has posted)

Happy Hashing!

Hi Chamba!

I actually have other experiments going on to further refine dry sift and was planning to pick your brain anyway, after I understood the right questions. Attached is a picture of a prototype nesting sieving frame system that I designed and built for further manually refining the kief.

The frames are splined for silkscreen, but also accept stainless mesh. They nest for use and storage, and are inexpensive to make, so an aficionados could maintain a stack of special screens for special strains.

It makes it easy to start out with one to three screens and add to it as strain choices are added. They are easy to roll in a new mesh as well, as they wear out or if preferences change.

Is this something that would have much interest or following in your neck of the woods.

Happy hashing back and happy testing!

GW

Attachments

• Kief frame stack system.jpg
    Kief frame stack system.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 30

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
Try some Agoraphobic Nosebleed... pounding insanity for anywhere from 1-39 seconds... :joint:

ArcticBlast

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple more frame photos.........

GW

Attachments

• Stretched frame bottom.jpg
    Stretched frame bottom.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Stretched frame top.jpg
    Stretched frame top.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Try some Agoraphobic Nosebleed... pounding insanity for anywhere from 1-39 seconds... :joint:

ArcticBlast

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Followed maybe by the 1812 Overature?

Alas, so much music and kief, so little time...........

GW

A

alpinestar

yes!
history in the making

people will start calling Audiobubble or 30hz...

F

fully baked

I like your sifting boxes:
picture.php

I've been waiting on more silk screens to build it up higher...

:whistling: (Trying to sing at 30 hz for ya)

FB

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like your sifting boxes:

I've been waiting on more silk screens to build it up higher...

:whistling: (Trying to sing at 30 hz for ya)

FB

Thanks!

Nice application for Velcro!

Your 30 hz singing must be the thumping that I hear in the background...........

BS

Stainless steel wire cloth (mesh) is better to use than silk screen.No fibers and last forever.Ive had the same one for 20 years.

Latest posts

Latest posts