What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Power/Electrical

G

Ok I have a question regarding power (American)
If I had a spare bedroom with 4 regular outlets and I had these items to power up :

1 1000 watt hid
1 regular house fan
1 window a/c (5000 btu)
1 8 inch inline 229 watt inline fan

would I be able to just plug these 4 items into the 4 different outlets and be alright, or would I have to do some work?

Remember these are just 4 regular outlets in a bedroom.Thanks for the time - Cough

Wrecked

Are all 4 outlets on the same circuit? Also if you have a 15 amp breaker you can run up to 1440 watts. PeAcE

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
What wreck said, are all outlets on the same breaker? More than likely they are.

What is the breaker size? 15 amp or 20 amp?

1000 Watts ~ 8 amps
5000 BTU window unit ~ 8 amps
229 watt fan ~ 2 amps
House fan ~ .2-.5 amps

Total of roughly 18 amps. So your 15 amp breaker will be popping. A 20 amp breaker can handle the load.

Last edited:
G

Hey thanks for stopping by guys. Alright yes they are all on the same breaker, and its 15 amp....so..... whats my next step? What should I be purchasing to run these 4 items in my room?

Am I going to have to have an electrician come in?

JustATry

You only want to be running @ 80% of your breaker load. You will most likely need to upgrade the wiring so you don't start a fire if you want to run a 20A breaker in a bedroom. Most residential wiring on 15A is 18/3. You will need to upgrade your wiring to at least a 14 gauge, I would do a 12 gauge for a grow room to be safe. Or, you run some equipment on another breaker.

Don't half-ass this or you can cause a fire.

JLP

Veteran
The bottom line is you're going to have to run the AC off another curcuit.Either that or use the inline to vent through the hood and then outside and just forget about the AC.Thats how I run my 1K except I have a can filter for the smell.

JLP

Last edited:
G

Are any outlets or lights in other rooms on the same circuit as the room you will be using? If so, anything else running off this circuit needs to be calculated in, as well.

The quick & dirty (temporary) solution is to buy a heavy duty extension cord & run it from an outlet on another circuit into the grow room. The risk there is that it could easily be unplugged by mistake and mess up all your timing in the garden.

Best would be to get an electrician in to add a circuit. While he's there, I'd have him upgrade the existing circuit to 20 amps (if possible) just to be on the safe side. More room to grow (pun intended :D ) The weather should be cooling soon. You might be able to get away with just ventilation until next Spring but if you wait, you'll have to clean the grow room to get an electrician in later. Easier to get one in now.

G

i agree with justatry...
u would want to up the wire guage to at least 14 awg, and also if u do the upgrade and get a twenty amp breaker have them put in a GFCI breaker. if the nosey sparky asks any ?'s just tell em your gonna put a fish tank in the room. that way all the outlets will be protected from the water and shit.... saftey first brotha
gfci= ground fault circuit interrupt

hope this helps, Ren

G

Hmmm ya thanks everyone, I guess I 'll just get an electrician out here and wire this room. I dont like messing with that kind of stuff myself.

My only thing was trying to explain to this dude why the hell I neded this done....what do you guys think if I told him I needed this room wired for a tanning bed and a tanning booth? That would bring in a ton of juice right?

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Tell em' you plan on settin up a shop in there, and plan on settin' up alot of carpentry tools....

just my .02

G

Ya bartender, I dont think he's gonna buy that, its a spare bedroom and I dont know a lot of people that are going to run a shop in a bedroom.

What do you think about the tanning bed idea?

G

Tell them you like rearange the furniture often and that it restricts you from where you can put lamps and such when you don't have enough outlets on all walls...

I rearange all the time and the outlets are never where I want them :rolleyes: its a pain sometimes....

Good luck anyhow :wave:

G

Alright I just went to a tanning bed web site and found this information for powering up one of these beds. If I told the guy I was running two of them it looks like I'll be in business!

Electrical Requirements:

20 Amp Circuit Breaker.

220 Volt Dedicated Circuit.

20 Amp NEMA #6-20R Receptacle

G

normally, two 15 amps circuits are provide for receptacles and one circuit for the lights at 15 amps as well with other lights on the same circuit.

You have at least 30 amps available to you.

you can run all of that and even tie into the lighting circuit with a plug into the light and run your own light from that circuit. smile

The ac and the fans and all can run on the two remaining circuits with no problems, I would think.

Avid

Neuronaut

i have this same problem. I hate to call an electrician and would love to avoid it if at all possible.

G

^^ Ya im with you on that. I just feel like this guys gonna know im up to some kinda shit!

betterboy

Hummm
Let me make a slight correction!
Most of the wiring in a home is #14 AWG used in bedrooms , baths,ect
the kitchen and atleast 1 rec. in a dinning room should be #12 AWG.
#14 guage wire 15 amp breaker
#12 guage wire 20 amp breaker
max load of 80% of breakers
if it were me i would run 2 new 20 amp circuits to the bed room for that equiptment.

G

betterboy said:
if it were me i would run 2 new 20 amp circuits to the bed room for that equiptment.

I had thought about this before you posted, I think that would be the best way to go, and wouldnt really raise any eyebrows when I had the guy do it.

Thanks for the time folks - Cough

Latest posts

Latest posts