What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HPS Cool Tube wiring problem

mrpilates

Hi. I'm setting up a 150w hps with a cool tube. Wiring the ballast looks easy but I have no idea what to do with the socket (e40).

I have searched around and haven't found any useful info, and this thing is getting really frustrating.

The mogul? socket has no wires attached. There are two clamps fitted to the bracket, for grounding I guess (why two?). Then there are two holes on the side of the socket, but there are no screws on top to lock the wires in there or anything, and have no idea which wire goes where (neutral/live)

What to do?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
This shot was for someone trying to remove the socket from the base but, should serve here.

Arrows pointing to recessed screws shows the screws attaching socket to base.

Black goes to the spring loaded pole in the middle, white to one of the other two screws. This model connects underneath, some connect inside. Either way, there should be wire guiding channels in the ceramic that say "this hole" not that one.

Can you remove the bar and get a clear shot of the socket from the inside and the bottom?

mrpilates

More pics...

The kit I bought came with a blue (N), brown (L) and a green (ground) wire.

So this is what I'm thinking. Brown is going to the centre/spring and that wire can be fitted by loosen and then tighten the screw marked with a brown arrow (can see it blocking one of the holes). But what do I do with blue wire? There's just an open hole..

dominicangreen

Weed Robot
Veteran
in your middle pic the part inside that touches the bottom of the bulb is where your black wire is gona go..the part that touches the surrounding of the bulb is where your white wire is going and if you have a green wire you put that to the extra screw

just notice you wire colors

use blue as if it was your white
use brown as your black live wire
and green is for if you ever make a bad contact its what pops your braker
if you was to get shocked this is what pops the braker so without it you would fry and braker would not pop

mrpilates

Thanks for helping out. The live wire will be connected to the bottom of the bulb/top of spring by the scew (brown arrow) I think, because its all metal there.

If there was a screw in the opposite hole I could just fit the blue wire in other hole and it would connect to the side of the bulb, but I'm thinking there's a reason it's not.

It's 240V - what do you mean by just two wires?

dominicangreen

Weed Robot
Veteran
240 is two live wires meaning both are hot coming in to the socket no neutral
do you already have a 240 outlet? the wire would scew in the bottom of socket that what them scews are for..just follow the scews

dominicangreen

Weed Robot
Veteran
pic on the left through the hole can you see if one goes to the bottom metal and the other hole goes to the side metal...i think that where your wire goes

make sure your ballast is wired on 240

mrpilates

Ah.. the ballast says La, Lr. Outlet is 240 (europe).
All holes on the back are for fitting the bracket so no wires can go there.

I might be a bit slow but I still dont know how to fit the blue wire. Can I just find a screw that fits and use it in the open hole (seems weird)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran

One of those two screws attaches to the spring tab in the middle of the socket, the other doesn't. Remove the ceramic cover to see which one goes to the spring and that's your live connection.

Green is not part of the circuit and does not connect to the socket but to the metal housing of your reflector. This connects your unit to the center on the Earth where stray electricity (like lightning) wants to go. Without it, electricity is happy to use your body as that connection. Because you have no reflector, I'd attach the green to the metal bar in your first post.