What's new

Kona Cherry x Skunk #1 feminized

KingRalph

heya everyone, this is my first cross, and i got a few hundred seeds so here goes the first test run. i by no means am a full on breeder, but i'd like to document this one, so if they're any good i could maybe give some to seedbay for charity or somethin.

before my favorite plant died she spouted some pollen and kept her lineage going in a few crosses. the pollen she gave off after a year of being completely female (with a few stress tests to check stability) landed on a Female Seeds Northern Lights, a BOGbubble, a Bogglegum, and mostly on a Skunk #1. but first a little more on the hawaiian...

Kona Cherry
this hawaiian was grown from seeds i took back from long, airy, dark and hashy bud grown outdoors on the big island, and was one of two females that were very similar, but this one smelled like scratch&sniff cherry with a pungent kick while flowering, which took around 12 weeks or so. the smoke was, wait a sec *puffs some* soothing and expansive, mostly clear in the head yet still encompassingly relaxing, and potent but not overly powerful, similar to other hawaiians with a rather soaring and uplifting high that never seems to plateau. the earthy odor form burnin the herb outstinks all the other strains above. a couple have said the dried bud smells similar to haze, but i have yet to smoke a pure haze...

here is an old picture list of hawaiian strains. the herb this came from was exactly like #7

though still immensely hashy and unmistakeable, it might've even been a little darker n airier because of the season... growing her indoors changed all that...

so she was flowered once without a single banana or seeds after 13 weeks, then revegged and flowered again 6 months later after, this time drought stressed and light poisoned and popped some male flowers, but not many. most of this pollen was distributed to to the large skunk #1. i never got clones going and the reveg didn't work this time, so what i came to call Kona Cherry is no more unfortunately. i'm terribly sorry i wasn't good enough to keep her going, but shaz happens. here's a pic of her, i'll post others later...
- - -
then second flowering after reveg while seedbearing with straight HPS without MH supplement
- -

next to her was a massive skunk #1 tree from gypsy's freebies that i got in '02. from sam the skunkman's 2001 crop, very lemony strong pine-sol skunk scent, finished in about 8 weeks, yielded big rockhard nugs and was a lot stronger smoke than i was expecting, a fuzzy kick to the head and always gets the best of my sinuses. a shot of her...
-

And so, i got a bunch of feminized seeds it seems, only one way to see what's really in the little pods now... so i picked out some nice seeds and just grabbed some random ones for a total of 38. in a glass with filtered water, a drop of superthive, drop o sensa spray for the helluva it, in under a day 34 had popped

although 34 popped, a few never came outta the soil, probably too hot for them since i put em under a 400w MH at under 3' and a couple had accidents leaving me with 27 healthy seedlings right now. soil is some regular stuff, worm castings n perlite. they're 6 days old here from a couple days ago, already seein some variation. almost all are stretching like crazy even with stem working and a fan and the MH at 1.5ft or so. they're getting 15hrs light right now, but i will transplant in a week then go to 12hrs to keep the size and timetable down.some pics...
-

that's all for now. sorry i do tend to go into too much detail sometimes, but this is their introduction after all, i'll keep it to mostly pictures from here on out :) i won't deem a name until after they've flowered, but i'm always open to suggestions. and any feedback from real breeders on what traits should be apparent from which parent, and any other advice is of course more than welcome.

peace n green thumbs all :wave:

Last edited:

KingRalph

1 week

1 week

Here is 7 days from sprouting, next update will be after a good noticeable difference...

just a week till transplant n flowerin switch :)

Last edited:

issack

Veteran
Too bad about the Kona cherry man......since i'm on the big island..never tasted anything like that here....hmmmm...i will search.
nice grow..sprouts are looking great.

KingRalph

CaptainJack had a great idea, he said "why don't you name your cherry skunk cross 'stankona'". the already catchy name rung a bell somewhere in this dome of mine and the name appeared... Cherry Stankona. who gets the reference? ;p so which is better, cherry stankona, or the shorter stankona as suggested by the capn?

KingRalph

thanks for droppin in everyone. wish it could hold the name Kona Cherry, isaak, but i kinda called the original plant that, so these need a new name. i hope ya find some herb similar to this over there, someone's gotta be hoardin it somewhere ;) you'll know it when ya get it...

here they are at 10 days, relatively uniform in growth, a few opposites, but lots of sativa characteristics in here :]

can barely wait... transplant to gallon bags and move to 12/12 come saturday...

Last edited:

KingRalph

24 days

24 days

been a bit since i've updated, sorry, was cameraless, but i've got some kinda blurry ones for ya in the meantime. switched from 15/9 to 12/12 just 2 days ago at the 3wk mark. decided to give them another week to grow before the switch, reacted to transplant very well, no shock, just faster growth right away :canabis: could've been transplanted days sooner, as most were well rootbound in the red cups.

24 days here. all looking good, some are short and hungry, tighter nodes but still skinny leaves :) at about 5/6 nodes, well, look for yourselves...

Last edited:

KingRalph

let's get this up to date, shall we...

here they are a week later at about the 1 month from seed mark. could've been faster, but it's okay, got plenty more to test.
here at 1wk after the switch, some sex organs were starting but no discernable yet till the 8/9th nodes. Sexing began at the 7th node.

From the 27 plants, 26 are female. the odd one out threw a pair of staminates first, then 1 male sac that i chopped. it's still alive and hasn't thrown any other male flowers even with light stress. even so, it is removed 'cause i don't trust it. these results are on par with female seeds, but these being feminized caution is still being exercised.

you can see different major phenos, one tall, one short. the short, tight-noded plants are the most sativa and similar to the kona cherry but will take a while to flower.

KingRalph

Here at almost 3wks past the switch. flowering is underway and the stretch is calming down. the tall pheno will eate lots of N during the stretch...

the tall pheno also is quicker to flower. another pheno is the skunk impersonators which will be big and quick, but not very exotic... i've raised the shorter sativa phenos to even the canopy. tho they are continually stretching, they will come close to the tall pheno...

sorry for the low quality pictures, better ones on the way...

KingRalph

4wks Flower

4wks Flower

Here they are at 4wks flowering. Finally, decent pictures for yas

the tall pheno plants with the kona bud structure (very spear shaped) actually smell like pineapples. a couple very much so... will be interesting to see how that develops into flower. the other plants' aromas are hard to describe, a pungent earthy floralness... some more candy-like, some more skunk-like. trichomes started showing up about a week or less ago, and are multiplying every day of course. you can see a touch of yellow on the talls that used up their nitrogen...

that last is a most sativa top like these of the most sativas, the third is what most tops are like...

Now the macros...

I'll update for the next week's mark... the buds are shapin up nicely...

KingRalph

thanks Baffled n elyk, hopefully the yellowing doesn't put a hamper on the buds at all, workin on that atm.

figured i'd throw up some pics of the kona cherry till i get updated budshots of the sherry ladies...

G

GET BACK TO CHAT SUCKA, IM BACK

GET BACK TO CHAT SUCKA, IM BACK

Hubba Hubba
:yoinks::yoinks::yoinks::yoinks:

:lurk:
cj

G

~I PROPOSE A POLL IN THE BREEDERS FORUM~

~I PROPOSE A POLL IN THE BREEDERS FORUM~

My NOMINATIONS for names are as follows (not in any particular order)

Sherry

StanKona

Cherry Swirl

Wild Cherry

Cherry Swine

Cherry #1

Kameyameya

Tropical Tragedy

Big Island Skunk

Skunk Pie

well, that does it, YOU be the judge, LETS HEAR SOME MORE IDEAS TROOPS?!?!?!

THEN A POLL RALPH, A POLL!!!! lol

:friends:
cj

Latest posts

Latest posts