What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Reflector

G

OK, I lifted all these pics from another site. I PM'd the owner asking for permission, it's been over a month and no response, and he has not posted on the site in quite some time, so since it's a simple, low cost project, and so easy even I followed it with no written instructions, I figured I'd repost them here. If it's against rules then just delete it, won't bother me any. Just trying to pass time in between laundry loads.

Before I start, the guy who did this used mylar to line it with. He used mylar tape to affix it. I used a spray adhesive because it holds better, and I do not want a fire hazard if the tape fails and the mylar drops down onto the bulb. Please substitute a white paint rated for high temps. He did not give specifics on wiring the light, but the pics are fairly self explanatory and I think ya can figure it out. I was gonna show pics of mine and how I did it, but I don't want to be responsible for you setting your house on fire if I did it wrong LOL. Maybe an electrical whiz will see this and tell y'all how to do it safely. He also used a bigger piece of sheet metal and vut it in half to make 2 different reflectors. casa de pot sells several different sizes of sheet metal, so you can buy and build to suit your needs. Whole project was under 20 bucks for me (excluding the light), had some things already in the garage already (brackets,wood,junction box,). Hope this saves someone a buck or two.

Last edited:
G

just about done....

BE ADVISED MYLAR IS FALAMMABLE AND CAN BE A HAZZARD.use a white paint suitable for high-heat conditions

Last edited:

EcoNepenthe

I used this technique...works like a charm. Sweet thing is once made, you now begin to xperiment w/sizes and bends, which I believe is how he discovered and perfected this cheap to build reflector. Now, get ya self a pyrex bake around tube, ya now have a nice air cooled, well reflected grow lamp. This is a vase w/two 175 MH lamps inside. Love ta tinker, I do.

Success w/ya grow.
Stay Safe.

Eco

Watch em grow :canabis:

Last edited:

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I made one not too long ago.Its kinda based on that same design but I made mine adjustable. heres some pics of the completed hood. (more pics on page 17 and 18 in my gallery)

G

I know who's that is ;)

Not sure if I should mention his handle from the "other" board, but I don't think he would have a problem with you bringing it here to share.
I'm probably wrong though. :)

Bonzo

Veteran
I love the coffee can idea cmk, very cool as are all the ideas here, great work :woohoo: . I biuld all my own hydro systems but ive never ventured into the reflecter realm. Hmmmm :chin: ...one of these days maybe, where does one aquire the "bakelite" tubes? :confused:

peace

bonz :wave:

G

BAKERLITE or PYREX

BAKERLITE or PYREX

and use a safe addy with ebay, and/or acct for that matter ;)

have had SHIT luck finding them outside a hydro shop or ebay, hell still trying to find one or five :D

good luck

cj

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Hmmmm wheres the pictures after the mylar melts down over the bulb?

G

stankbud said:
Before I start, the guy who did this used mylar to line it with. He used mylar tape to affix it. I used a spray adhesive because it holds better, and I do not want a fire hazard if the tape fails and the mylar drops down onto the bulb.
Think I kinda covered that........if it's so worrisome you might want to suggest just using a flat white paint or chromed metal.................or didn't you have a better suggestion?

G

i've never tried it..

i've never tried it..

but verite im with you, i was thinking the exact same thing while reading it over again, actually overlooked it until now, i assumed he was bending the actual reflective surface and not just any old piece of scrap metal. not to put any blame on you stankbud, just that a parabolic reflector is ideal over an HID bulb of any wattage. Doing it this way is indeed quite the fire hazard.

If this is not in the cards, use a white paint suitable (rated?) for high-heat conditions

be well guys

cj

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
You guys must not be growing enough :rasta: Whose got time to figure out how to make their own reflector. I'm really impressed. Very professional looking Stankbud and Cough_cough_eer. This should be a sticky.

GreatLakes THC

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Yup..... nice addition ....I think we ought to have a sub section in the Designs and equipment for specific How to's like this....where only step by step instruction threads are with peoples questions about how to do whatever their particular problem is, in the main part of growrooms design and equipment.....just a thought.....
i would not have bothered with the mylar but other than that this seems sound enough to me.... youve got a ceramic lamp holder between the lamo anbd the pice of wood acting as the back so the wood wont get any heat....My metal reflector doesnt even get warm in that area at the back behind the goliath holder where the flex is connected so as long as its put together well then it should be fine as long as you use some common sense, which if u aint got then you have no buisness growig indoors anyway lol. I f you look also its not any old pice of scrap metal...theyre both pieces opf sheet metal, one with the dimpled surface.....I remember seeing one on Og made from an old road sign that he stripped the paint off lol.

Frogger

i'm with the two of you we ought to have a sub section in the Designs and equipment for specific How to's like this....where only step by step instruction threads that would be very cool :chin: