What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Afghanica or Cannabis Indica?

four seasons

Veteran
Does Botany calls for new and better classification of the cannabis plant?
I see in modern books and on the forums Cannabis Afghanica used to describe extreme Indica expression,squat growth habits,fat fleshy leaves,thick stalks, etc.. .
Any input from the breeders, botanist and master cannaphiles on this forum.
Old Afghan strain from Amsterdam inbreed since 89 ,I think cultivators choice?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Do you mean Kafiristanica ? In your Vintage thread you have posted a double page picture showing a guy posing in front of a patch of very very short budding cannabis plants. Makes me wonder...

Irie !

Fuel

In our modern green world, when you say "indica" the majority take this subclasse of cannabis for the afghani genotype itself.

So, don't dream. It's an intellectual suicide to search some botany in smokeland, firstly because you will have too many different points of view, exposed as a sacred truth and enigmas from the rear of a coffeshop.
lol

If you're not affraid by deception, i invite you to contact directly true professionnals of hemp for learn anything true about our sacred plant, outside the smoke quality because the best skilled ones generally grow for fibers, cellulose and seeds.

E

elmanito

Beautiful pics again, but Karl Hillig has a better explanation whether it is Cannabis indica or afghanica.

Cannabis afghanica var indica.

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Attachments

• A CHEMOTAXONOMIC ANALYSIS OF CANNABINOID.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 106

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I admit to speaking about sativas and indicas, but imo the community should slowly start moving towards a more scientific classification. The talk about "pure indicas" and "pure sativas" is misleading and confusing. I often refer to wide leaf indicas as afganicas, which might not be quite accurate but works for most people. I never quite understood from Vavilo's writings what exactly is the difference between afganica and kafiristanica.. Alot of contradicting info out there..

Here is a quote I made awhile back

Here is a quote I made awhile back

I have a question on the proper identification of this strain.

In Jorge Cervantes book "Marijuana Grow Basics", on page 29, it says there are four variants of marijuana.

Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis and, Cannabis afghanica

Should this Mazar I Sharif be regarded as an Indica or an Afghanica ?
The truly funny thing is what we think of and call "Indica" is really C. Afghanica. C. Indica is supposed to refer to Indian cannabis, and the confusion lies in the Hindu Kush mountain range in between the two countries. Kush weed is a hybrid of Afghanica, and Indica through open pollination. Here are the four categories as listed in the book Hemp Diseases and Pests, by McPartland, Clarke, and Watson:
1. Cannabis sativa: over three meters (9ft) tall
2. Cannabis indica: one and a half to three meters (4-9ft) tall
3. Cannabis afghanica: under one and a half meters tall
4. Cannabis ruderalis: half a meter tall and autoflowering.
The afghanica dominant plants are very small, and have fat leaves,fat stems, and have very fat,greasy nuggets. Where as the indica dominant stretch, and has thin leaves,thin stem, small nuggets, and that amazing "Kush" flavor.
Mazar-i-Sharif is an Afghanistan cultivar. Mazar-i-sharif is a millenia old city that is known for its hash trade. Since, its a trade center various seedstock has been intermixed to produce this heterogenous hashplant. There are going to be different phenos present in this age old cultivar so it can survive weather conditons. For example one year it rains alot, and those phenos that can take high irrigation produce great, where as the pheno that require little irrigation drown. The next year is dry ,and then we see an inverse. The high irrigation pheno produces little, and the low irrigation pheno has a stellar season. what I'm saying with MIS is it all depends on the pheno you get(more afghanica, more indica or as we normally say more "indica" , more "sativa") on the length of flower,size of nuggets, buzz, and taste.:2cents::pumpkin:

Latest posts

Latest posts