What's new

Fasciation

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an alibi x herijuana plant that is growing strangely. This strange growth is also passed on to clones I've taken from her.

I'm guessing this growth is fasciation, but I'd like to hear what other people think.

Here's what it looked like early on at day 43 of veg

picture.php

then in the next 5 days, the center growth pretty much stopped and the branches grew way out. The main stalk also had a weird structure. It was like it hit a node and after that node the growth went from a single stalk to a merged stalk that then split apart.

picture.php

After the plant got larger, I took a couple clones from the bottom of the plant and then threw this one into flower.

Here she is 29 days into flower. This plant has never been toppped, pinched, etc, this bushiness is just how it grew.

picture.php

Here's a closeup of the main stalk where the strange growth starts

picture.php

Development/growth on some of the buds is strange. They look like merged buds.

picture.php

picture.php

The clones I took are starting to show similar growth too

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

By comparison, here is an alibi x herijuana I previously grew in a small homemade growbag

picture.php

So I guess my question is; is that fasciation I am seeing?

It looks cool, but I'm guessing it's going to negatively affect yield. The buds with it just dont seem to be producing as much as those that aren't showing this growth.

Anyone else have any pics of fasciated mj plants they'd be willing to share?

WeedChuck

Na i didnt see any faciation of any of your stems. I have had ALOT of experience with faciation in plants and I dont see any indication in your plant.

That's a pretty sweet growth pattern, dude. It's gotta be an interesting/fun plant to see grow out. Got any pics of the buds now? Or have you even harvested yet?

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a pretty sweet growth pattern, dude. It's gotta be an interesting/fun plant to see grow out. Got any pics of the buds now? Or have you even harvested yet?

The pictures of the buds are recent, they were from the day of posting.

Mom and clones are currently being flowered out at the same time. Mom should be done in about a month, the clones in about a month and a half.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Na i didnt see any faciation of any of your stems. I have had ALOT of experience with faciation in plants and I dont see any indication in your plant.

Hmm, any idea what it could be? Just a mutation?

southpaw

Fasciation is some weird shit. I had it happen once to some clones I took really, really bad care of. I had a whole bunch of really scraggly looking shoots pop up all over a totally flattened out looking main stem at odd angles and in odd multiples.

Didn't look like your main picture at all, but I also didn't keep them long enough to let them mature either.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
I am curious of what you think of the cured flowers......?? That is some wild natural bush making. Mine few females were like your other, straight shooters with very little natural side stems. Still curing as I type.

I hope the flowers have a nice kick. Mine are super-sweet smelling. We will see.

What do yours smell like?

I've had a few plants do this~ mostly blueberry derived lines.

I believe some of the genes from plants which do not form distinct meristems are responsible for this. I have found this common in cocoa kush, vanillaluna would not clone without losing her tip and dividing massively right below ( a slightly different mechanism than others). I find strains which easily form self-splitting stems (BB), or whom have multiple nodes 5-6 on one axis (BB [DP] and sharksbreath [from lambsbread/th heritage]), are more likely to form progeny which will just end in a blank node with only leaf no calyx or a single calyx yet the rest of the plant will branch and bloom beautifully. Some self-splitters will just split their stem into two directions, other I find have tips that die of regularly and the multiple axis underneath will branch out. We had a red eyed bride that just grew into a curled circletip, looked like a snail shell, and then started branching from her multiple axis on the shell. Once i get my post count up I'd love to share some pics of the recent mutations in the seedy seed and kystal avalanche lines.

Peace,
BKompost

It would seem they come from the thai origin, as i am growing some sri lankas and indias landrace I have found...

The sri lankan lineage shows self-splitting, as does the india. On the plant I (india)- D I have lots of leaves with albino mottling or a curl to the side much like the CK and BB lines, only on one branch. We have seeded plant with another sweet lemon smelling india, and the seeds will be available through the ICfundraiser in about another month or so if anyone is interested in such landrace genetics, they are not yieldy but have amazing highs and awesomely unique genetic markers. Great for breeding!

Be well,
BKompost

THAI!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had a few plants do this~ mostly blueberry derived lines.

I believe some of the genes from plants which do not form distinct meristems are responsible for this. I have found this common in cocoa kush, vanillaluna would not clone without losing her tip and dividing massively right below ( a slightly different mechanism than others). I find strains which easily form self-splitting stems (BB), or whom have multiple nodes 5-6 on one axis (BB [DP] and sharksbreath [from lambsbread/th heritage]), are more likely to form progeny which will just end in a blank node with only leaf no calyx or a single calyx yet the rest of the plant will branch and bloom beautifully. Some self-splitters will just split their stem into two directions, other I find have tips that die of regularly and the multiple axis underneath will branch out. We had a red eyed bride that just grew into a curled circletip, looked like a snail shell, and then started branching from her multiple axis on the shell. Once i get my post count up I'd love to share some pics of the recent mutations in the seedy seed and kystal avalanche lines.

Peace,
BKompost

Thanks for the info!

I'd love to see some pics of the mutationsn you've encountered.

G

Guest50138

I have a Grapfruit Fly that looks the same as your girl I thought it was Fasciation aswell.heres a definition I found. Cheers Oldman

Every so often, gardeners find a deformed-looking flower or stem that appears as if the plant has bulked up on steroids. The stem or flower stalk will appear somewhat squashed and splayed, sometimes splitting in two or more sections. Or it may appear that two or more stalks have merged together to form one distorted structure.

This odd growth is called fasciation, which literally translates to banding or bundling. Fasciation is thought to be caused by a hormonal imbalance. In some cases, this imbalance could be a random genetic mutation or, in other cases, induced by one or more environmental factors, including bacteria, fungi, virus, insects, frost and physical damage to the growing point.

The good news is that fasciation itself is not "contagious" and does not spread through a planting. And just because a particular plant exhibited fasciation one season does not necessarily mean it will again in the future. In most cases, fasciation is just a random oddity.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Here she is two weeks later

Alibi x Herijuana

Day 43

picture.php

:yoinks:

No that is really bizarre looking :D

That plant could be a monster producer with enough veg and a lot of light in flower.

I just sampled some of my outdoor Alibi x Heri and found her pleasent with a mule kick to the head ;)

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
daym look at that,talk about "CROWN"....crazy stuff blynx....how she smell?
u got any pic's bacchus?....

Latest posts

Latest posts