What's new

How many used Hydroton bottom layer, for drainage? Problems??

Tokesome

Hi just out of interest how many of you use or have used clay pebbles (hydroton) at the bottom of pots to assist drainage?

2nd question have any of you had problems with plants and found it to be the problem?

The reason I ask, is that I have a thread running here:- http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=138214&page=8 and one of the suggestions from the many that I`ve had from people thinking over my grow is that the hydroton layer wont support the roots enough where it counts. This kindof makes sense to me.

Even though the roots and hydroton at the bottom of the roots is not drying out, I`m just wondering how well the plants can absorb the coco specific nutes from the hydroton at the bottom, also where the main root mass is.

I dont quite understand what makes the coco specific nutes specific for coco, but I understand its at least in part due to what nutes store themself in coco well and which dont. Hence my mind thinking The hydroton bottom layer may not be providing the right enviroment for the main root mass or coco nutes, along with taking up perhaps an 8th of the pot space.

I may be way off here, feel free to shoot the theory down eh?:kos:

Thanks, Tokesome

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
hydroton is ok but coco is far superior i would use coarse coco or perlite on the bottom before hydroton...not that its a bad thing...

Merman

Hey TK - Just read your thread above. I respect bonecarver's experience level, but I do think you are better off with a coarse drainage in the bottom of the pot, or get some pots that really allow the coco to drain completely.

I put an inch of hydroton in the bottom pots for ebb and flow coco system... No problems at all. Coco doesn't like to have its 'feet wet' from my experience. I think this from coco's superior wicking capability.

Some kind of coarse material in the bottom of your pots is pretty much required. I think it depends on your growing technique... if you are top watering or drip, then the coarse coco or perlite sounds good, but if you are ebb and flood then I would recommend hydroton or something similar (maybe even lava?).

As many have demonstrated in this forum, letting coco get to a damp or dry stage before watering again will improve growth. That being said, some folks have spectacular results keeping coco very damp or even wet.

Good Luck!

merman, i dont believe i can agree with your above post.....

personally, i am growing in a 2 gal pot, with small rocks at the bottom 2''. Ive just discovered that the roots do grow past the bottom of the coco and into the rocks. and, consequently, once they dry out the slightest bit, the leaves curl down.....pretty sad.

basically, i will never put rocks at the bottom of my pots......they so aide in bringing fresh O2 into the medium, however, they receive dry roots at the bottom.......

indifferently to Mermans post, my pots enjoy drying out towards the top, while bottom feeding the runoff tray. unfortunately my pots now with rocks at thhe bottom, need constant wetness in the bottom .5-1 inch. if it was straight coco in a pot, the coco could wick at the lowest .1 inches of nutes and overall, never dry out the bottom.

overall, this is a real problem ive recently discovered.

in the future, if i could allow for extremely frequent floods, then i could afford rocks at the bottom of my pots. however, when i want them to drink run off, i wont ever use rocks again.

I would belive that a good layer of hydroton in bottom is better then only coco in my opinion..

Ive found the roots not to grow past the coco in the bottom if u have hydroton under it anyhow but a good layer hydroton for better drainageI Is better and water a little bit more often is better then to have a 2inch of coco always wet i would belive. (if id use slabbs i wouldnt bother with that thou but in deeper pots with coco over it i would 6+liters) And i do belive most grow systems are using this way if using coco.. Coluseum grows.. dutchpot etc.

B

bonecarver_OG

Hey TK - Just read your thread above. I respect bonecarver's experience level, but I do think you are better off with a coarse drainage in the bottom of the pot, or get some pots that really allow the coco to drain completely.

I put an inch of hydroton in the bottom pots for ebb and flow coco system... No problems at all. Coco doesn't like to have its 'feet wet' from my experience. I think this from coco's superior wicking capability.

Some kind of coarse material in the bottom of your pots is pretty much required. I think it depends on your growing technique... if you are top watering or drip, then the coarse coco or perlite sounds good, but if you are ebb and flood then I would recommend hydroton or something similar (maybe even lava?).

As many have demonstrated in this forum, letting coco get to a damp or dry stage before watering again will improve growth. That being said, some folks have spectacular results keeping coco very damp or even wet.

Good Luck!

i should ad - using trays for hydropots - there will never be any standing water in the tray - and that way its not necesary to loose root space to hydroton.

i think its better to put something under the pot to lift it up from the water, than to limit root space. :D

B

bonecarver_OG

found by delta9nxs, author unkown;

Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention

A Discussion About Soils

As container gardeners, our first priority should be to insure the soils we use are adequately aerated for the life of the planting, or in the case of perennial material (trees, shrubs, garden perennials), from repot to repot. Soil aeration/drainage is the most important consideration in any container planting. Soil is the foundation that all container plantings are built on, and aeration is the cornerstone of that foundation. Since aeration and drainage are inversely linked to soil particle size, it makes good sense to try to find and use soils or primary components with particles larger than peat. That components retain their structure for extended periods is also extremely important. Pine and some other types of conifer bark fit the bill nicely and I’ll talk more about them later.

The following also hits pretty hard against the futility of using a drainage layer in an attempt to improve drainage. It just doesn't work. All it does is reduce the amount soil available for root colonization. A wick will remove water from the saturated layer of soil at the container bottom. It works in reverse of the self-watering pots widely being discussed on this forum now.

Since there are many questions about soils appropriate for use in containers, I'll post basic mix recipes later, in case any would like to try the soil. It will follow the Water Movement info.

Consider this if you will:

Soil need fill only a few needs in plant culture. Anchorage - A place for roots to extend, securing the plant and preventing it from toppling. Nutrient Sink - It must retain sufficient nutrients in available form to sustain plant systems. Gas Exchange - It must be sufficiently porous to allow air to the root system and by-product gasses to escape. And finally, Water - It must retain water enough in liquid and/or vapor form to sustain plants between waterings. Most plants could be grown without soil as long as we can provide air, nutrients, and water, (witness hydroponics). Here, I will concentrate primarily on the movement of water in soil(s).

There are two forces that cause water to move through soil - one is gravity, the other capillary action. Gravity needs little explanation, but for this writing I would like to note: Gravitational flow potential (GFP) is greater for water at the top of the container than it is for water at the bottom. I'll return to that later. Capillarity is a function of the natural forces of adhesion and cohesion. Adhesion is water's tendency to stick to solid objects like soil particles and the sides of the pot. Cohesion is the tendency for water to stick to itself. Cohesion is why we often find water in droplet form - because cohesion is at times stronger than adhesion, water’s bond to itself can be stronger than the bond to the object it might be in contact with; in this condition it forms a drop. Capillary action is in evidence when we dip a paper towel in water. The water will soak into the towel and rise several inches above the surface of the water. It will not drain back into the source. It will stop rising when the GFP equals the capillary attraction of the fibers in the paper.

There will be a naturally occurring "perched water table" (PWT) in containers when soil particulate size is under about .125 (1/8) inch.. This is water that occupies a layer of soil that is always saturated & will not drain from the portion of the pot it occupies. It can evaporate or be used by the plant, but physical forces will not allow it to drain. It is there because the capillary pull of the soil at some point will surpass the GFP; therefore, the water does not drain, it is "perched". The smaller the size of the particles in a soil, the greater the height of the PWT.

If we fill five cylinders of varying heights and diameters with the same soil mix and provide each cylinder with a drainage hole, the PWT will be exactly the same height in each container. This saturated area of the pot is where roots seldom penetrate & where root problems frequently begin due to a lack of aeration. Water and nutrient uptake are also compromised by lack of air in the root zone. Keeping in mind the fact that the PWT height is soil dependent and has nothing to do with height or shape of the container, we can draw the conclusion that: Tall growing containers will always have a higher percentage of unsaturated soil than squat containers when using the same soil mix. The reason: The level of the PWT will be the same in each container, with the taller container providing more usable, air holding soil above the PWT. Physiology dictates that plants must have oxygen at the root zone in order to maintain normal root function.

A given volume of large soil particles has less overall surface area when compared to the same volume of small particles and therefore less overall adhesive attraction to water. So, in soils with large particles, GFP more readily overcomes capillary attraction. They drain better. We all know this, but the reason, often unclear, is that the height of the PWT is lower in coarse soils than in fine soils. The key to good drainage is size and uniformity of soil particles. Mixing large particles with small is often very ineffective because the smaller particles fit between the large, increasing surface area which increases the capillary attraction and thus the water holding potential.

When we add a coarse drainage layer under our soil, it does not improve drainage. It does though, conserve on the volume of soil required to fill a pot and it makes the pot lighter. When we employ this exercise in an attempt to improve drainage, what we are actually doing is moving the level of the PWT higher in the pot. This simply reduces the volume of soil available for roots to colonize. Containers with uniform soil particle size from top of container to bottom will yield better and more uniform drainage and have a lower PWT than containers with drainage layers. The coarser the drainage layer, the more detrimental to drainage it is because water is more (for lack of a better scientific word) reluctant to make the downward transition because the capillary pull of the soil above the drainage layer is stronger than the GFP. The reason for this is there is far more surface area for water to be attracted to in the soil above the drainage layer than there is in the drainage layer, so the water "perches".

I know this goes against what most have thought to be true, but the principle is scientifically sound, and experiments have shown it as so. Many nurserymen are now employing the pot-in-pot or the pot-in-trench method of growing to capitalize on the science.

If you discover you need to increase drainage, you can simply insert an absorbent wick into a drainage hole & allow it to extend from the saturated soil to a few inches below the bottom of the pot, or allow it to contact soil below the container where it can be absorbed. This will successfully eliminate the PWT & give your plants much more soil to grow in as well as allow more, much needed air to the roots.

In simple terms: Plants that expire because of drainage problems either die of thirst because the roots have rotted and can no longer take up water, or they starve/"suffocate" because there is insufficient air at the root zone to insure normal water/nutrient uptake and root function.

To confirm the existence of the PWT and the effectiveness of using a wick to remove it, try this experiment: Fill a soft drink cup nearly full of garden soil. Add enough water to fill to the top, being sure all soil is saturated. Punch a drain hole in the bottom of the cup & allow to drain. When the drainage stops, insert a wick into the drain hole . Take note of how much additional water drains. Even touching the soil with a toothpick through the drain hole will cause substantial additional water to drain. This is water that occupied the PWT before being drained by the wick. A greatly simplified explanation of what occurs is: The wick "fools" the water into thinking the pot is deeper, so water begins to move downward seeking the "new" bottom of the pot, pulling the rest of the water in the PWT along with it.

hydroton is ok but coco is far superior i would use coarse coco or perlite on the bottom
-PTB

Through experience and with some helpful advice from Mandala Mike on grow tips I believe in this thread http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=13689
We stopped using hydroton pellets on the bottom of pots a couple of years ago and have not turned back since.

Originally the idea to use them came from the practical use of clay piece shards when growing plants in containers, for some plants this added layer allows air to reach the soil from the bottom and in certain mediums this may help some plants.

Cannabis Sativa is fast growing, and many of us use porous growing mediums, so as bone carver said it would be ineffective to remove space for root growth.

In experience it was found that the mothers growing for many years in containers with hydroton bottoms, not only suffered from dehydration sooner, but also during transplanting layers would form where the hydroton formerly filled the bottom, and these layers would have minimal root growth, as opposed to the surrounding soil. Upon examination of a very old plant which had passed, it was shown that the roots grew thickly exactly to the hydroton, but only formed a minimal layer in the hydroton bottom, as air wisps around these roots they find the environment hard to proliferate.

Once the hydroton stopped being used, mother plants became much healthier over time, and their general upkeep became easier. A large difference was noted in the flowering plants, too. It appeared that the soil/ coco was healthier and more capable of keeping a beneficial micro-organism herd, possibly since drying out of the medium is lesser. Another thought to note would be that the hydroton would form an insulating layer. Dependent on the grow situation~ some strains prefer certain temp conditions. When growing sativas on tile flooring yields and general vigor have been larger than when growing in raised beds. Somewhere in DJ Shorts Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis, I think I recall reading that sativas prefer a slightly lower root temp than normal (pls correct me if my memory is faltered- I checked and well almost got engulfed in the words again ~ setting it aside for a nice b4 bedtime re-read). Hydroton would not allow the coolness of the floor to reach the medium, and hence could also affect yields in this way.

Overall, I find a hydroton base to be best used with a passive watering system, where a wick is placed through out the hydroton on the bottom of the pot. The pellets region stays moist, while making transplanting easier than without the hydroton base (repeat- in a passive wick watering system).

I can not reiterate enough how much the removal of hydroton from the bottom of the pots has helped any growing adventures with cannabis.

Recently, we have begun trying to add small amounts to what ever growing medium is being used, also experimenting with smooth regular round pellets as opposed to pellets of a courser nature which are more varied in size for hydroponic growing. We avoid the course crushed hydroton pellets since we find they could damage roots during manipulation.

Good Luck,
BKompost

Wait...What?

Veteran
the old wives tale about clay chunks in the bottom of the pot for drainage, is for pots that don't have a hole in the bottom

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the article mentions how the "drainage" layer moves the PWT up in the container. you lose the additional volume but it also should be noted that it creates a barrier to airflow. any roots that have gotten past the pwt during "dry" periods will become anaerobic.

water will transport gases due to partial pressures but at a much slower rate than air. i think i remember 15 times slower.

every time you water you create this anaerobic condition temporarily. there is usually a large ph drop associated with this condition. radical ph swings create all kinds of unwanted changes in your solution, such as precipitation and imbalances in the ratio of nutrient uptake. if you develop pythium the ph can go down to 3.5-4.0.

but none of this theoretical discussion helps you straighten out the plants you currently have. i think that if you were to take some of the wick material i'm using on the ppk thread and a screwdriver or something and double a piece of it over the end and shove it 2.5-3" into your medium it might help.

good luck! d9

Tokesome

Hey guys, thanks so much for benefit of your varied experience. I feel more confident that I`m on the right track with regards solving my own problems.

I`ve always noticed an area of the pots that didn`t have much root structure running through, and that was at the bottom 2-3 inches of the middle of the pot. Like plenty of roots surrounding the bottom, but once through that layer that forms around the inside pot`s surface very little inside. I assume this must be down to the perching.

Not quite sure where to drain the wick to though, let me explain. My pots sit in nft trays dripper fed from above and returning the run off to the res below. Now I aim to raise my pots above the trays so that they can drain unhindered.

So if I force a wick 2-3 inches right into the middle of the bottom of my pots in future, do I just leave something like a 10 inch wick laying on the run off return tray, would that be sufficient to encourage the drainage I`m seeking?

Is there a risk of encouraging disease etc through having a soggy wick, especially exposed to the light?

Yeah great article Delta, thanks mate.

Toke ;-)

I`ll take a better look through your thread Delta for info on wicking material.

I don't add anything to the bottom of my coco pots and have never had any problems. I use a knee high nylon stocking as a sock on my pots to keep the coco from getting out of the pots and I flood my tbl 3x daily. Just my :2cents:

Peace :rasta: