What's new

HOT water DWC - 80ºF+

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
:angrymod: I DO NOT RECOMMEND high temp DWC :angrymod:!

But it seems it's not the death sentence we thought it was

I could say I grew this 8 Mile High in 100º+ cab with 80º+water but, I kept no journal and provided no documentation for the class so, forget that.

This time, lets document. Plants are maybe a month old, started under CFL and transplanted to the big tub 1 week ago. Res has yet to be below 80º F. "Sunrise" yesterday, after 6 hours of lights out, res was at 88º (lost a degree or two fumbling with the camera) Roots are WHITE white but, being this new that doesn't mean much.

SO ... If high water temps mean slime, algae and rot, why am I not slimed, algae engulfed, or root rotted? It's gotta be the shoes, right? :woohoo: Seriously though, WTF?

I suppose it's possible that local water enters into it but, my bet goes to keeping ingredients at a minimum and avoiding organics. GH FloraMicro, FloraBloom and pH Down is all I add to my tap water. I start with a 1/4 strength solution. Only when pH climbs do I add more. EC? I haven't a clue. My Truncheon is now a $130 stir stick.

Looking at the photos, it now occurs to me that my dark blue air pump directly under 250 watts must be damn hot! I'm sure pumping hot air into the res explains some of the res temps (along with being in a 100º cab) I wonder if hot air can be a deterrent to algae, rot and slime ...?

AGAIN, this is NOT a recommendation! Simply a documentation of what's happening in one garden under certain conditions.

Let's see what happens ....

Do you think hot air will have that much of an effect? I never even considered that and I have two pumps sitting nearly directly under 1000w, also with high res temps (84 deg)

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
that blows my mind. i tried dwc before and temps were the death of me, or my ladies anyway. it really pissed me off but i just couldnt get rez t emps under control and it was slimeville in no time. best of luck.

I have an outdoor vertical towers for veggies, it constantly circulates the water to the topand trickles down, outside temps in the 90s, water temp mid to upper 80s, plants grow like crazy and I use synthetic nutes with tap water, I don't even let it sit out, example I started a cucumber seedling only had it's first 2 leaves, a mnth and a half later I had multiple vines that I got over a dozen nice sized cucumbers from. I was amazed by this also I don't know if it the circulation, synthetic nutes, or chlorine in the water but it's really made me rethink what I can do indoors with not so perfect temps, good thread.

O

otherwhitemeat

Ooooh, is this a guessing game? :woohoo: Is it the strain? Maybe I missed it; but whatcha got there?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Do you think hot air will have that much of an effect? I never even considered that and I have two pumps sitting nearly directly under 1000w, also with high res temps (84 deg)

I don't know. It was just a last second observation as I posted. Hot air certainly isn't cooling anything. I'd consider dropping the pump to the bottom of the cab in front of air intakes but, an air pump below the water line is asking for trouble. Maybe place the pump outside the cab like we do our ballasts?

that blows my mind. i tried dwc before and temps were the death of me, or my ladies anyway. it really pissed me off but i just couldnt get rez t emps under control and it was slimeville in no time. best of luck.

Heat causes too many problems for too many people to say it's not a factor. However, I and others have grown at temps traditional wisdom says is impossible. Therefore, the problem can't be heat alone. It has to be heat plus something or, possibly, heat minus something.

So what's the "something"? At the moment, I'm leaning towards organics and additives.

I was amazed by this also I don't know if it the circulation, synthetic nutes, or chlorine in the water...

Chlorine is a good point to bring up. I don't leave water out to sit like I did in my aquarium days. Straight from the tap to the res. However, I don't know how long it would last as it's subject to dissipation even in still water. Maybe the one time jolt of chlorine every week or two is enough?

Ooooh, is this a guessing game? :woohoo: Is it the strain? Maybe I missed it; but whatcha got there?

D'OH! It appears I forgot to mention the plant being journaled here is a Destroyer, a sativa heavy hybrid. The unjournaled grow was an 8 Mile High, a physically indica hybrid with a more sativa like high.

Again this is NOT A RECOMMENDATION but, if hi temp growing spells the difference between weed and no weed, so far it beats a sharp stick to the eye.

Quazi

Mmmm...

Education by experimentation...

Love it...
homer+drool+2.gif

:lurk:

-Q :rasta:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Hey, Homer! Don't Bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me.

Well, the cannabis plant is
considered a weed, it will adapt and do anything it can to survive.
Yes, you will be able to grow cannabis in that type of environment, but no it’s not optimal, not efficient and the plant won’t produce what It could if it was in optimum condition/environment.
Don’t take what I said above as bashing, I do like your experiment, and look forward to seeing the results from this grow. :joint:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Interesting thread, once I graduate from soil I am leaning towards DWC so I am reading a lot and I am thankful for people like you out there experimenting and letting others know what happens. Best of luck on the grow!

HeD333

Well, the cannabis plant is
considered a weed, it will adapt and do anything it can to survive.
Yes, you will be able to grow cannabis in that type of environment, but no it’s not optimal, not efficient and the plant won’t produce what It could if it was in optimum condition/environment.
Don’t take what I said above as bashing, I do like your experiment, and look forward to seeing the results from this grow. :joint:

Seems like a reasonable hypothesis to me.:joint: I'm also a big fan of experimenting, so good luck OP :)

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Don’t take what I said above as bashing

Not for a second. You're correct! No one should strive to these conditions!! They should be avoided where possible!!!

I'm lucky enough to have the option of not growing. Last thing I need is more damn weed lying around but, not growing is boring. Others may not have my option or, may simply be tired of the ice bottle boogie. This bud's for them :friends:

On another note, apropos of nothing I looked up "weed" the other day. Seems it's any plant in your garden that you don't like or you didn't plant. Since we plant them and want them, they're not weeds. Now that damn rose bush ...

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Weekend Update

Weekend Update

Apparently, the time is no longer right for fighting in the streets. Summer is NOT here, not anymore, and it left in a hurry. Starting with last Sunday, temps have started at 78-80-77-76-77-76. Warmer than optimum but, too close to "acceptable" to justify a thread.

I'll keep tracking another week but, if things keep going as they seem, it may be best to bin this thread and start over again next May ...

FreezerBoy

Veteran
There's one in there already but, it's set at 65º.

As many have said, no one should use hot water if they can avoid it. Striving for these conditions would be nuts. I was willing to document them as a natural occurrence but, I won't manufacture them.

M

mrdizzle

it actually is a death sentence, literally a matter of time before that water smells like a blueboy and your tossin that plant

Im running a single plant in my DWC with temps roughly around 80 degrees with no problems. Im well into flower after a 40 day veg. and things are going smoothly.

Ive had slime problems in the past and I think I've found the trick. Maybe.

I'm using the GH 3 part system, but also using an EWC tea to inoculate and keeps things stable. EWC tea has the necessary beneficial microbes to keep the slime away. Only adding a cup of it to my 18 gallon reservoir, not really using it to feed my plant.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
FB, Thanks for helping with the knowledge. My July 31st harvest ran without res chiller and more than 80 degrees for the whole run. As you can see the roots aren't the happiest but my yield was still great and bigger than the previous two, because I showed my ladies a lot more love after finding ICmag on 7/11.

Peace, :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts