What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY: A new angle on light proof vents

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hello guys. Here is a very compact, free flowing light trap I designed and made out of minimal equipment, cost and skill. I saw a door vent in the hardware store and got the idea for using the angles but they had used a rather dodgy system to space them out. I thought on it for many weeks until I realised I could just use other angle as the spacers and get a very professional looking product. I'll let some pics do the talking because it isn't exactly rocket science.

The basic idea, exploded
picture.php

The pieces cut out and small dab of glue applied to each (you don't need to do the top one remember)
picture.php

Stuck together
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Painted flat black
picture.php
picture.php

As mentioned, it's very free flowing. It blocks 99.99% of the light. At first I thought it blocked 100% but after letting my eyes adjust in a dark room, there is a slight glow coming from it, just enough that I wouldn't place it solely between a veg and flower room personally. Not enough to catch on camera! But it is noticeable with the naked eye if you concentrate.

It suits the purpose I made it for perfectly as it's in a cab in a dark room and the intake is facing a wall. But my next build for my other cab will use wider angle and I'm quite confident it will stop 100% of the light. Here are the sizes of aluminium angle used:

• Main fins - 12mm x 12mm x 1.4mm thick
  • Spacers - 12mm x 12mm x 3mm thick

My completed unit is 150mm x 70mm x 17mm thickness. I'm unsure what other angle sizes are available exactly but my next build will be in the area of:

• Main fins - 25mm x 25mm x 1.4mm thick
  • Spacers - 25mm x 25mm x 2.8 thick (two of the 1.4mm thick "main fin" angles placed together)

If anyone would like to use this idea and/or modify it, please go ahead and please try other dimensions. I'd encourage you to use dimensions in the ballpark of what I'm planning for the next one if you are trying for 100% blocked. I can't even be sure it'll work in a 100% situation but see no reason why not. Or maybe you guys can come up with an improvement?

I think you'll be surprised at how much it blocks. Here is the final product quickly taped into place for testing. The tape let through some light leaks but I left them like that because it gives a better idea how minimal the glow is. Both shots taken rapid fire with/without flash:

picture.php
picture.php

Fatigues suggested using plastic or wood angling which I think would make it easier to cut up! I used a hacksaw and though it wasn't exactly a party, it was not too tedious. Aluminium is no match for a hacksaw. Tedious comes when you have to bevel each cut on each piece so they sit together neatly. :)

Another factor to keep in mind: the thickness of the fins is paramount here. You want as thin as possible to increase the ratio of free air flow to blockage. I used 1.4mm thickness for the fins (lets call it 1.5 including glue, for convenience) and the spacers were 3mm, so right there we can see that there's approximately 66% free flow. I just sized my intake hole proportionately beforehand so I still have far more than 2x intake:exhaust ratio, as per the dummy's guide.

Another issue was that it's hard to coat the very inner recess of the angles with spray paint when assembled. Hydro-Soil suggested painting them before assembling and I think this is a good idea. Just try to leave a tiny patch on the ends for the glue to stick to, so it's metal > glue > metal..... instead of metal > paint > glue > paint > metal.

Simple huh? :) Total cost: a few bucks? Not worth counting for my micro project. Please post pics and reports if you make this. Cheers. :yeahthats

fatigues

Veteran
:headbange

I like it. I like it so much - I'm going to build a few this weekend and see how it goes. Mayhaps I'll see if if scales up to 12x12, too.

I liked this project the moment I laid eyes upon it. It's KISS all the way. Sweet. Nice. Tidy and ....simple.

Above all, it appears to serve a sore and pressing need very well. Vastly cheaper than going to B&H - and vastly tidier than a half dozen PVC pipes sticking out of your stealth cab, too.

Big thumbs up Scrub! :yes:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScrubNinja again." :badday:

Nice work.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
YES.....very, very, very nice. Simple....scalable, and totally DIY.

I love it when a new idea or project emerges!!!

Good job on this one!

dank.Frank

ScrubNinja

Veteran
and vastly tidier than a half dozen PVC pipes sticking out of your stealth cab, too.

Exactly, check out all the space I'll save - it equates to 1.8 football fields on the micro scale. :)

Thanks for the good vibes all. Another thing I forgot to mention is that there's different designs of angles. Shorter on one side, etc. Might be good to play around with. And I noticed you can also get black coated angles (anodized??), although it'd still need to be flat.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Lazyman, lovin' it - sheer stealth

Roughnice, yeah man, I got mine in an oz store called Bunnings, I think it's a very common item. They had a huge selection of sizes and colours too. Cheaper if you get the longer lengths of course but I had such a small one to make and didn't want to wait for them to cut it up so I got short lengths.

jump117

Veteran
Hey ScrubNinja it's a very good idea! You may also improve this jalousie from V profile to Z.

jump

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks jump that's a great idea! As long as the angles of the Z are 90 degrees. Hell yeah, I'll take a look in the store next time.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Make sure you paint it before gluing it. Makes it easy to get every nook and cranny.

Sweeet setup! :D Thanks!

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran

:yes: This is as good as DIY gets :yes: So good I added you to my top list, and I rarely add to that list. :) Good job! :D

very clever idea. i bet with a full paintjob, slightly closer spacing, and maybe a little wider angled pieces, youll have 99.99999999999% light blockage

Looks great!!!

pontiac, that stamp looks so official!

qbert

great idea and writeup man!!

I take it these aluminum angles are at home depot or lowes?

Lazyman, lovin' it - sheer stealth

Roughnice, yeah man, I got mine in an oz store called Bunnings, I think it's a very common item. They had a huge selection of sizes and colours too. Cheaper if you get the longer lengths of course but I had such a small one to make and didn't want to wait for them to cut it up so I got short lengths.

What are these pieces for, as in what area of the hardware store would I be looking for them?

Sorry for the seemingly simple question, but I couldn't quite figure that out.

+rep, too. very nice!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Cheers Pontiac, your list has helped me many times so it's a serious honour for me to be on it. Top 6?! My head is gonna explode! :D

Q, I think it's for edging mostly, around edges of windows and steps or whatnot...I really don't know for sure. I've found it in different parts of different stores. Probably near the timber, metal, or pipe section because they are long lengths.

Happy grows

qbert

Q, I think it's for edging mostly, around edges of windows and steps or whatnot...I really don't know for sure. I've found it in different parts of different stores. Probably near the timber, metal, or pipe section because they are long lengths.

Happy grows

thanks man. Seeing this today spared me from some overly complicated space-consuming intake idea I had. This is so simple, easy, cheap, and hopefully (appears to be) effective.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
thanks man. Seeing this today spared me from some overly complicated space-consuming intake idea I had. This is so simple, easy, cheap, and hopefully (appears to be) effective.

Word. I really look forward to people trying different dimensions and reporting back. With some teamwork, we can work out the most optimal dimensions. I do stress that with my measurements there is the tiniest bit of glow - not even enough to catch on camera. Not visible unless in a very dark room with dark-adjusted eyes.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Great work Scrubber Lang. I've seen that stuff at ACE. It probably has several uses. I think I've seen it used on MDF as edging. Never would have thought. Some people are mechanical engineers right outta the mom tube.

qbert

there is the tiniest bit of glow - not even enough to catch on camera. Not visible unless in a very dark room with dark-adjusted eyes.

I'm aiming for as much stealth as I can achieve, and that sounds perfectly fine to me, plus I think I'll try attaching a carbon sheet filter over it to keep pests out and little rogue smelly air drafts in.

May be some guess work sizing them properly, since its not the same as a clear hole of the same size, but one can always add additional vents if necessary.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hehe that made me laugh, DB.

Qbert, yeah should be fine for most situations. I'm from the micro world at the moment where the traditional favourite seems to be black aquarium foam, I think like the stuff you mention, and this is a huge improvement on that. Together though, they would form super ultra mega light trap :D I would have no qualms about putting my prototype between a veg and flower room if it had supplemental aquarium foam.

One of my first thoughts was "what if I made a whole cab out of this?" lol. It would be a very ambient cab. Just a silly idea of course, it would be hard to make work.

My main thoughts on optimizing the prototype are try to get longer angle, like 25mm x 25mm, before trying to close the gap shorter. So I would try that first. Cheers.