What's new

No Shopping At Local Hydro Stores in TAMPA

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Umm, I hooked an ac up, exhausted it through a window, and went outside and could smell the babies plain as day. PITA as I immediately had to go back in and uninstall it. 5 units hooked to an outside wall sounds like window units to me, not split system. Not that the cops wouldn't be above lying, but in this case it's very possible the idiots inside let them get a whiff. It's not like these guys were highly intelligent about their operation....showing up at the grow store so much in a limited time frame, keeping all the warehouses titled the same to make it easy for the cops to connect and take them all down are just two boneheaded mistakes. It's just not that farfetched to me that they pulled another boneheaded move and exhausted the smell to the exterior.

Nughit

I am always sketched out when I go to the hydro store. It doesn't surprise me that the pigs have nothing better to do than sit around and watch a gardening store. Lazy bastards.

U4ic

In the mid 90's when some friends and I where active growing we used to drive 45mins to another town to get supplies just because of a rumor that the local shop was watched. The local store was 4 blocks away from the courthouse and the county jail...lol..

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Umm, I hooked an ac up, exhausted it through a window, and went outside and could smell the babies plain as day. PITA as I immediately had to go back in and uninstall it. 5 units hooked to an outside wall sounds like window units to me, not split system. Not that the cops wouldn't be above lying, but in this case it's very possible the idiots inside let them get a whiff. It's not like these guys were highly intelligent about their operation....showing up at the grow store so much in a limited time frame, keeping all the warehouses titled the same to make it easy for the cops to connect and take them all down are just two boneheaded mistakes. It's just not that farfetched to me that they pulled another boneheaded move and exhausted the smell to the exterior.

This doesn't make sense. The part of the AC that is outdoors should only emit the heat from the compressor. The inside air is recirculated into the front, re-cooled and blown back into the room....

A

Amstel Light

This doesn't make sense. The part of the AC that is outdoors should only emit the heat from the compressor. The inside air is recirculated into the front, re-cooled and blown back into the room....
so do you think that an expert witness (hvac engineer maybe) could prove they were lying?

S

~Spirit~

JJ...If it was central a/c then that would be 100%true, but widow a/c, portable a/c, and thru the wall units can all leak some odor through. I've seen it firsthand and thought it shouldn't be happening but it was. The level of odor isn't anywhere near how strong it would be if say it was just being vented outside by a blower, but enough can sneak through to smell it.

whodi

Veteran
yes, i've heard of window units leaking smell.

Love how they bring up high electric use in a warehouse... don't most warehouses have high electric consumption. Pretty sad they the cops are doing all this... they love it because it's fun and they get lots of adrenaline, and they know most MJ users go out more peacefully. It's easier to get away with selling crack these days.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suppose it could be possible if the unit had a problem.

Could it be possible that the smell could be coming through from around the outside of the unit where it seals to the window? Never use the plastic fans they give you to seal the window as they can be easily removed by prying eyes. At dark you can also see the light through them. Use a plywood and seal to the unit with a quality white silicone.... You don't want any light or air leaks....

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
AC units DO emit ganja odours..... Florida IS a Prison State, next to Tourism (which is falling). I cannot even imagine THINKING of growing in that state. You are asking to be incarcerated. If you must grow weed, amscray to another state...!! Freedom is just too precious.

Peksman

The condensated water that comes out of an AC unit carries the smell of Marijuana not the air vented out, cause like JJ said the air inside stays inside

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I can't speak to how my brand new ac unit was working inside, but I know what growing cannabis smells like, and know that I smelled it coming out of the back of that window unit. Not the water, the air blowing out. It hadn't even been up long enough to form any condensate. Goddammit I spent $300 on the fucking thing and then had no use for it. Ended up selling it for $100. Cost me $200 and an afternoon installing and then uninstalling it. I sure as hell didn't do that because I was imagining things. Maybe it was the seal as I did use the factory provided installation kit. But somehow I don't think the seal was leaking very much though.

All I've got to say is that I know from experience that it's possible.

Window units are made to pull a little bit of fresh air, hence, the smell. A properly installed split system should not leak smell at all and could only do so at the wall penetration. There is NO mixing of inside/outside air...AT ALL.

L~B

It wasn't just this one grower who was busted... there popped quite a few people i think there were at least nine busts... This is why FL sucks so bad it really is a police state.

sorcival

Fl. is most def a pig state. So is Ga. The issue of a AC unit in the window is a personal
risk factor not to be undertaken lightly. I always break the outer cover on the AC unit
and check the stryo or sealant material, and usually add some pressurized sealant all
over any suspected leaks, being careful not to obstruct the fan or electric wiring. I
have seen shoddy and loose rubber grommets around the wiring harness, chipped & missing
pieces of sealant packaging on the interiors of AC's, bent or dented exteriors that allow
fresh air in/out flow, missing screws, excessive screw holes...etc. I am sure you see
my point. Window Ac units are risky business, unless you use care.
The question in my mind is this: Most successful growers calculate very carefully each
and every aspect of the grow, site, lights, nutes, water, heat and time. Why is it that
the grower hardly ever takes the time to put as much care and fore-thought into the
security of the grow as they do into the grow itself? That being said and asked, I have
seen and read way too much about growers who, in the middle of a grow, suddenly
discover security issues that could have been resolved by a little more time spent in
the security thought department.
Pigs have their odius little jobs to do, and it truly is a 'war' between the grower and
the cop. However, it is not necessarily a violent war, merely a war of wits. Our wits,
tactics and strategies versus theirs.
So in sooth, my fellow agriculturists, it is Us against THEM...and our back is to the wall!
tokin'

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't speak to how my brand new ac unit was working inside, but I know what growing cannabis smells like, and know that I smelled it coming out of the back of that window unit. Not the water, the air blowing out. It hadn't even been up long enough to form any condensate. Goddammit I spent $300 on the fucking thing and then had no use for it. Ended up selling it for $100. Cost me $200 and an afternoon installing and then uninstalling it. I sure as hell didn't do that because I was imagining things. Maybe it was the seal as I did use the factory provided installation kit. But somehow I don't think the seal was leaking very much though.

All I've got to say is that I know from experience that it's possible.

If you used the factory supplied accordian style blinds for the windows then I believe the smell would come through. They are not airtight at all. The front of the unit pulls air towards the unit and a lot could escape through the blinds..... I turned ours on and had my wife spray room freshener into the front and from the outside I couldn't smell it....

My new AC unit, a small one, in the window shows a slight glow of HPS light and I lookesd inside and saw that they use foam insulation, like styrofoam, for the routing of the air. The 1000 watt light is so bright that it glows THRU the cheap styro!! I had to tear it all apart and paint it black and now it is not seeable. No odor noticed but my Mandala's are not high odor anyway...something to keep a check on tho..

Latest posts

Latest posts