What's new

Is There a Reason to Stop Feeding Other Than Flushing?

J

JackTheGrower

I've only fed with tea and see no need to flush. Is there another reason to stop feeding in the last two weeks?

Depends on how you manage your soil biology..

If it's a natural system of feeding materials such as micronized materials and allowing the soil biology to process, well.., avoiding nitrogenous materials even before switching into flowering is a good thing IMO.

Mostly I believe "the last two weeks" that the plants are mostly done growing and the flowers are over ripening. No need to try and correct the soil now IMO.

Folks that use plant ready forms of plant food say they need to flush to get some decent flavor so, that flush is necessary in order to avoid crap weed.

Myself I apply High P guano as I see fit in the last 4 weeks but Applying it in the last couple weeks is a waste because if I didn't hit it right it's too late in the last 2 weeks IM(organic soil)O.

I hope that helps..

Jack

KnuckleHedd

I don't flush. I use organic nutes, keep the microbial population healthy and endeavor to deplete the N. The last few weeks I use Earth Juice Bloom (no N) and plain PH adjusted water the last couple waterings. People think I have secrets, but that's all I do.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Budswell is one of the oldest organic products around at the indoor garden stores. Lots of the rasta growers up in Portland use the Budswell products exclusively so all of the stores carry it.

Several mainstream nurseries carry this product line as well. Good stuff.

CC

jwm

Veteran
Hey knucklehedd-

How do you like 'earthjuice'? I'm looking for a new organic nute, have been doing research online and earthjuice looks promising.....any feedback?

thanks~

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'm going to start flushing 2 weeks before the end of harvest to get those nutrients out of my soil. I plan on using grape Kool-Aid to get the flavor into my buds just like the real growers do!

A local favorite strain is known as 'Dog Sh*t' (completely unrelated to Mr. Nice Seeds' Sh*t strain) so I'm hoping to come up with a great flavor combination.

It should be a real proud pleaser.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no need to flush, just spend your time and effort on drying and curing for the best taste and smoothness.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't flush either, never saw the reason to. I do stop feeding any sources of N, but I'm not sure it make much difference because it seems like the plant just stops using it, whether it's there or not.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
but I'm not sure it make much difference because it seems like the plant just stops using it, whether it's there or not.

ive noticed the same thing growing outdoors in the same soil over the years, no matter how fertile the soil is, they seem to stop "using" the N. must be the plants root chemicals telling the soil life what to do and what it wants more of.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to start flushing 2 weeks before the end of harvest to get those nutrients out of my soil. I plan on using grape Kool-Aid to get the flavor into my buds just like the real growers do!

A local favorite strain is known as 'Dog Sh*t' (completely unrelated to Mr. Nice Seeds' Sh*t strain) so I'm hoping to come up with a great flavor combination.

Is this a joke CC?

J

JackTheGrower

Oh Man! You got me!

April Fools! I was like, what? CC says what?

J

JackTheGrower

I don't flush either, never saw the reason to. I do stop feeding any sources of N, but I'm not sure it make much difference because it seems like the plant just stops using it, whether it's there or not.

Jaykush; said:
Ive noticed the same thing growing outdoors in the same soil over the years, no matter how fertile the soil is, they seem to stop "using" the N. must be the plants root chemicals telling the soil life what to do and what it wants more of.

KnuckleHedd; said:
I don't flush. I use organic nutes, keep the microbial population healthy and endeavor to deplete the N. The last few weeks I use Earth Juice Bloom (no N) and plain PH adjusted water the last couple waterings. People think I have secrets, but that's all I do

Agreed..

I think Jaykush has it right.. The Plant controls the rhizosphere. How we apply nutrients can help us shape our plants growth..
Too much nitrogenous material and the soil will heat up in the presence of a lot of carbonous materials is the worst thing that comes to mind.

In small spaces, like my garden, the micro-processors (microherd) can cause a boost in growth by making more nutrients available, especially when we apply external sugars, so, application of "feeding materials" is a skill to be learned in small spaces.

I'm "flirting with disaster" so to speak this season with the plants already at the lights ( The Doctors ) before the stretch but, I planned for that as the light raise up. Still it could be a problem if they stretch too much. So we all learn and sometimes take a hit when it goes wrong.. Pun intended.

Anyway the last thing I want to say is there isn't much worry about in open space growing and there isn't too much need to feed nitrogenous materials late.
Flushing? Well I'm sure water runs off down the drain when I soak the soil but I am not doing a repeat after repeat and trying to save my bud from tasting bad.
It's up to the gardener to understand their plants needs and plants in small containers may benefit from some nitrogen late if they don't have large leaf reserves or the benefit of a large soil and root area..

Fellas' do we need a proper flushing thread to quote?

Jack

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
So I am confused about this too. Shouldn't the plant regulate that sort of thing? I mean, in the ground outside, it normally doesn't get tilled, have fertilizers shipped in, or need the tampering of humans. What nitrogen is present in the spring that is gone by fall? If that is the case, how does it get new nitrogen for the spring? Animal urine and feces is obviously a part of that cycle, but it alone does not even begin to explain it.

What I am wondering then, in an organic grow, shouldn't you be able to have lots of nitrogen-bearing, phosphorus-bearing, and potassium-bearing materials without any nitrogen forcing its way into the roots like urea does?

J

JackTheGrower

Ammonium cyanate is urea.

Interesting.. I know of Urea but have never thought about it in MJ growing..

Where do we stand on Urea.. It's Organic because of the carbon yes?

It's synthetic or derived from natural sources.

Urea

maryjohn

Veteran
Urea can be organic, depending on how it is obtained. It's a major component of your urine and sweat and is produced in your kidneys. In fact, your urine also contains good amounts of all the nutrients.

As for how N gets back into the soil in the fall, the answer is that things die back and everything gets cycled. But if there is any harvesting by people, that cycle gets thrown off and must be helped along.

but putting it back doesn't necessarily mean digging. check out some no-dig gardening techniques for more info.

In a container situation, there is no nutrient cycle, so you have to make it happen with composting and amending, because you don't have enough soil to do it all in the same place.

A

alpinestar

excess nitrogen will reduce thc content. Some hemp growers use this to help keep their thc even lower. There are some pdf documents on this, that you can easily find on google.

maryjohn

Veteran
excess nitrogen will reduce thc content. Some hemp growers use this to help keep their thc even lower. There are some pdf documents on this, that you can easily find on google.

so will nitrogen deficiency, depending on when it happens. You need enough N to grow leaves so you can grow good roots so you can grow good buds.

it's about timing and cycles.

Latest posts

Latest posts