What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Build Your Own Cycle Timer

Me2

A 1 minute on/4 minute off cycle timer you can make yourself for about $4.

Step-by-step format, with basic soldering skills anyone can build a working timer. For the more experienced it`ll be a walk in the park :wink:
I haven`t had a timer fail but they are so cheap its worth building a couple so you always have a backup available. The relay or the IC are the most likely things to fail after extended use (its no different for commercial timers). For that reason an IC socket provides for plug and play chip replacement and the relay is connected via flying leads so it can be changed out swiftly too if need be.

The components are fairly easy to find at electronic shops or online. The component list is ordered to match the Circuit Layout Diagram attached.

I`ve no clue how to post pics directly into a thread so it doesn`t flow too well. Anyway, here`s what you need:

A piece of veroboard/stripboard at least 11 copper tracks deep and 25 holes wide (approx 2.5" x 1.25")
D1,D2: 1N4148 Signal Diodes
R1: 1K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
IC1: NE555 timer
8-Pin IC Socket
C3: 100uF 16v Radial Electrolytic Capacitor (uF= MicroFarad)
C1: 100nF Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor (nF= NanoFarad)
C2: 100uF 16v Radial Electrolytic Capacitor
D3: 1N4007 Rectifier Diode
R5: 470K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
R2: 1K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
R3: 3M3 ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
R4: 220K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
Relay: 10A/20A 120 or 240vac DPDT with a 12v dc coil

The choice of relay is up to you, the important thing is to make sure the contacts are rated for your mains voltage, 120 ac or 240v ac. It must have a 12vdc coil with a coil resistance not less than 60 ohms but most are well over that so its not a big problem.

You`ll also need some solid core hookup wire for the "wire links", a box or two to put it in and some electrical connector blocks.
The timer requires a small 12v dc regulated power supply, the plug-in multi-voltage type power adapters are ok (1.5/3/4.5/6/9/12v at 300mA).

The total cost for the components including the relay but excluding the box,power supply will be around $4 or less.

The first job is to cut the copper tracks on the veroboard/stripboard in several places using a 1/8" (3mm) HSS drill bit or a track cutting tool if you have one.
Again, apologies for not being able to post the pics directly in the thread..i`ll learn how one day, the one you need here is the "Track Cutting Details" pic.

Gently rotate the drill bit or track cutter to remove the copper and create a gap in the track. Don`t drill a hole right through the board :wink:
You can verify the track cuts are open-circuit by using the continuity function on a multi-meter if you have one.

The "Track Cutting Done" pic shows what it should look like when you`re done.

The "Circuit Layout Diagram" pic shows you where everything goes. The X`s mark the track cuts on the underside of the board which will help you figure where the various components fit. The vertical red lines are the wire links.
Be very careful to count the number of holes each component covers..you dont want to get something in the wrong hole :wink:

Time to put it together,
Fit the 8-pin IC socket first. Place the IC socket with the small U-shaped notch at one end facing towards the top of the board in the correct position in relation to the track cuts (see Circuit Layout Diagram).
Bend the socket pins over towards the holes you cut in the track to hold the socket and then solder it into place.
Make sure you don`t bridge any solder across the pins

Next, fit the 5 Wire Links using the solid hookup wire as shown on the Circuit Layout Diagram. These are marked as plain vertical red lines.

Fit D1 (IN4148) noting the direction of the black band.
Fit D2 (1N4148) noting the direction of the black band and R1 (1K resistor) Note D2 and R1 legs share a single hole position.
Fit D3 (1N4007) noting the direction of the white band which is marked as a black band on the layout. (There is a track cut (x) behind this diode to help with its location)
Fit C1 (100nF capacitor) it`ll be a tiny blue thing, you will have to bend the legs gently to get it to fit across the 5 holes. Then fit R2 (1K),R3 (3M3),R4 (220K) and R5 (470K).
Fit C2 (100uF radial capacitor) making sure the - minus sign on the side of the capacitor aligns with the bottom hole on the layout diagram. Be aware this capacitor covers 4 holes.

Now fit C3 (100uF radial capacitor) again making sure the - minus sign on the side of the capacitor aligns with the bottom hole on the layout diagram. This capacitor covers just 3 holes.

Solder the two wires to the left side of the board near D1 and terminate them in an electrical connector block, this connects via flyleads to the 12v dc relay coil.

Solder the red and blue wires (or your own colour code) to the right side of the board as shown in the layout diagram for +12v and 0v, these connect to the regulated 12vdc power supply.

Plug the 555 chip into the IC socket making sure the U-shaped notch on the chip is facing upwards to match the socket
You may have to squeeze the pins gently inwards to get it into the socket.
You should now have something that looks like the "1min_4min cycle timer done" pic. Power it up to test it works and then put it in a box.

Wiring up the mains side of the relay will depend on where you live (EU,US etc) but shouldn`t pose any problems. Make sure you mount it well away from the timer circuit board, or ideally put it in a seperate box with the mains supply going to the relay and a mains outlet from the relay going to the pump. The DPDT relay will switch both the live and neutral so you`ll just need to common the earths inside the box.

Have fun, Peace

Attachments

• track cutting details.JPG
    track cutting details.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 16
  • track cutting done.jpg
    track cutting done.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16
  • circuit layout diagram.JPG
    circuit layout diagram.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1min_4min cycle timer done.jpg
    1min_4min cycle timer done.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15

BlindDate

Veteran
You REALLY need to post a schematic and delete all the description. Also, how do you adjust the time?

Me2

The reason for the full step by step description is that not everyone can translate a schematic into a working circuit. The timer is for those on a tight budget that know next to nothing about electronics. The cycle timing is fixed at 1min on/4min off, which fits the bill for most aero systems or cloners that use a mag drive pump.

BlindDate

Veteran
Well I seriously doubt that anyone who cannot read a schematic can build that circuit based on your description.

Me2

Anyone can put the components in the right places simply by following the layout diagram.
Exactly the same with the track cutting details diagram. It couldn`t be any easier :wink:
A schematic will show you the circuit but not how to build it.

Attachments

• timer schematic.JPG
    timer schematic.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 16

Carboy

Speaking from a totally dumb ass perspective, this is probably the only electronic project i've seen that even i might be able to do.

Is it alot more complicated to make it variable? And keep in mind the level of expertise that you are addressing !!

Thanks for presentation --------- CB

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Hmmm

I may have to give this a thwak

I need to whip up a areo cloner today

Have 20 preset-timers
but what a pain to program

S

squirrelfooker

You REALLY need to post a schematic and delete all the description. Also, how do you adjust the time?

If you can build this off of a schematic you can probably figure out how to do the whole thing yourself.

The steps are easy enough to follow that anyone with some very basic electrical skills should be able to follow the instructions and build it.

If you can't figure out how to adjust the time, you probably couldn't build this off just a schematic. You probably should also not be telling this guy what he should be posting. There is already schematics for this stuff out on the internet.

Bud-Boy

Veteran
What about modifying a programable timer?

What I mean is, seems like all the parts are there, just needs to be "re wired"

Me2

Cheers for the positive comments.
Carboy Making it variable would make it more difficult to build, i went for the k.i.s.s approach so anyone should be able to manage it :wink: The 1min on/4min off cycle timing seems like the most useful setting for a fixed timer.

Bud-Boy Its ideal for a homebrew cloner and you don`t lose what $$$ you saved by buying a commercial timer to go with it.

If anyone needs one second adjustments and has a hydro setup that can use that, then buying a commercial timer would be more worthwhile. This is just a cheap and cheerful timer that will do the job..expect no bells and whistles or trendy lights :wink:
Tip: If you have kids in school, they could probably build you one in the school electronics lab as a project.

Me2

The steps are easy enough to follow that anyone with some very basic electrical skills should be able to follow the instructions and build it.

Cheers Squirrelfooker I tried to make it as easy to follow as possible. A steady hand and reasonable eyesight are also useful but not essential :wink:

fatigues

Veteran
Me2:

This has the beginnings of a very helpful Pontiac approved DIY post.

It needs more photos and a step by step, including the wiring of the power supply, and installation of the unit into a project box with socket wiring and shots of the REAL finished product in action.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for this. This could EASILY be among the most useful DIY projects on ICMag, especially given the fact that the overall cost of the project, even including a noob purchasing a soldering iron, is about $100 less than a commercial cycle timer.

You've almost got it. It just needs to be fleshed out and noobified. Please try and finish this great start off properly, as this really would be a great service to others on ICMag.

Me2

Hi fatigues
Building the circuit using the component by component description is about as easy as it gets. I`d have to do 4 variations to flesh it out as the basic timer board can be used to switch *12v,*24v (automotive),120v or 240v relays as long as the coil is 12v.
*The timer can be useful in a self contained solar powered system unlike the commercial timers which need mains voltage to work..they pack up during a power outage.

Putting everything into a box is easy enough, as is hooking it up to a 12v dc supply.
Wiring the board to the relay coil poses no great problems as long as you know which pins on the relay are the coil connections.
Wiring a DPDT relay input/output is straightforward, although the specifics will vary depending on the mains voltage (120v,240v) or the application eg; a 12v/24v solar pumped system.

G

grow nerd

Nice find, thanks for sharing as well.

Handles 3A; did you get some higher capacity relays, or will you be switching very small loads?

Sounds like shipping was almost as much as the device. :badday:

F

flat5th

Hey Me2.

Cool stuff. I had found a few different DIY cycle timers in the past, but never really looked into building them.

I compiled a list of links from Radio Shack. Could you look this over and see if i've got everything right? if not, could you link me to somewhere proper?

A piece of veroboard/stripboard at least 11 copper tracks deep and 25 holes wide (approx 2.5" x 1.25"
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845

D1,D2: 1N4148 Signal Diodes
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062587&clickid=cart

R1: 1K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062306&clickid=cart

IC1: NE555 timer
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062595&clickid=cart

8-Pin IC Socket
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062604&clickid=cart

C3: 100uF 16v Radial Electrolytic Capacitor (uF= MicroFarad)
Closest i could find: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102510

C1: 100nF Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor (nF= NanoFarad)
Could not find.

C2: 100uF 16v Radial Electrolytic Capacitor
(see link above, line C3)

D3: 1N4007 Rectifier Diode
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062589&clickid=cart

R5: 470K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor
(see link above, line R1)

R2: 1K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor

R3: 3M3 ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor

R4: 220K ohm 1/4w carbon film resistor

Relay: 10A/20A 120 or 240vac DPDT with a 12v dc coil
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049722

For the resistors i was just gonna buy a bulk pack which seems to include all the resistors for this project. Can you take a look and make sure i've got that right?

Thanks!
Fifth.