What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first grow, my take on the "high pod", lessons, observations, and a couple questions.

qatsi

first grow, my take on the "high pod", lessons, observations, and a couple questions.

New here, (not really just lurking, reading) but here is my story.

So actually this is my first grow. Basically it is a rubbermaid tub with rocks and dirt,

in a crawl space with a street lamp over it with a handfull of bagseed thrown in for good measure.

Two problems with this. 1) it doesn't fucking work. 2) mice ate all the seeds. After a week or so this

is all I had to show for my efforts. (why I still keep her I don't know)

So I stumble across the high pod somehow and I am blown away. Fucking amazing I thought. so I went out and decided to build my own.

Ordered all the shit from 1000bulbs.com (had to call about the sockets)
3x55w 3600K and 3x55w 5600K it came out to something like $150 for the lights, ballasts, sockets.

then during construction I manage to break one. IDIOT!!!! (construction whilst baked is always fun though)

here is a look at the bottom, I sealed the clear tubes with silicone so that I force air around the CFL's to keep them cool.

Here it is with the lid. Just an old 4.5" pc case fan wired into an IPOD charger, (hey, it's an easy small 12volts)

So now I get some seeds via mailorder (I LOVE the Canadians!) and plant 3 seeds They are called pommello, cheapest fucking ones they had 10 seeds for $40 shipped. in early May.

Here they are: in MG starter mix.

I transplanted them into FFOF.

and here I am with 1 lovely lady left. (the other two were males) about 2.5 weeks into 12/12. Been using some FFBB occasionally. I transplanted her into a bigger pot right when she was flowering ( big mistake) she still seems a little wilty.

So some things I've learned. Definitely start with a bigger trash can. I have a 2.5Gal pot and it takes up 1/2 of the light. I should have tried cloning her. Now I have to start with seed again. I think that I'll try coco next time.

Questions,

1) if I am hard up can I just take a little flower and smoke it raw? any horrible consequences from that?

2) She doesn't look too 'wilty' does she. Most of her big leaves turned yellow and fell off. (maybe being rootbound) but she has never really recovered after that.

3) could you use the males for making cannabutter? or should I just shitcan them? (I am saving the pollen tho)

4) any idea on how much longer before I can chop her down?

Peace.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
The pics don't show for me sadly

You can use the male leaf in cooking though.

qatsi

can anyone see my pics, i took a screenshot.

but if you can't see the above pics, i suppose you can't see my screenshot either.

I'll piss around with it. (first times are always a bitch)

Peace.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
I think you have a few weeks yet mate. I'd suggest getting a magnifying scope or loupe, best 5 or 10 bucks you'll spend. It will let you very accurately time the harvest by inspecting the trichomes.

Looks like a great little unit :yes:

C

cork144

looking great mate, about time sombody else tried the high pod.

CoffeShop

Cool bro,

I was thinking in put up a HIGH POD myself but I need it to br stealthier. The high pod is fucking cool, but in my case a cabinet will blend in better.

Question: what are you using as reflective cover on the wall ???

regards,
coffeshop

CoffeShop

qatsi,

I asked that cuz I noticed that the original pod seemed a lot brighter than yours. I think you would be better with mylar or white paint.

Also he used the whole bottom of the can covered with soil. Not sure but I beleive he said the soil took like 4 inches.

I picked little buds during the flowering and dried them over the cable tv device, to try out... Not a decent smoke, but you can tell if it is getting good or not. It should not cause major problems or delays on the flowering, but I would avoid it if possible. The magnifiers lenses can help you better. At least when you start seeing a lot of milky trichs... Then is a matter of taste. More milky, more amber, 50%-50%. To really know your preferences you will have to try...

I always point out that I am not very experienced at all... only one grow till now. Successful at least. But, you know, moved from my old place and now I got rethink everything. My main concern is smell... If I can't hide the smell effectvly I won't grow...

hope it helps.

Best luck...

Mk3Jetta

Not to sound like a dousche or anything but I think you should have done a bit more research before planting.

The aluminum foil is a bad choice and will scorch the shit outta ur plants.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey man what did you use for the clear tubing around the bulbs? Plastic I guess? Do they feel very warm to touch? Also, does the plant get any air intake from the bottom that can access the plant without going through a tube to the top? (ie: a hole in the bottom without a tube attached...a normal intake). It sort of looks like it doesn't, which doesn't seem like good design to me on first look. But then I thought hmmm, maybe it would let co2 settle in the bottom or something. I dunno. Seems to work, however you've done it. :yes:

I've never used foil but I heard it's ok if you use the dull side out. But then you've got dull alfoil which doesn't seem like it would be very reflective to me.

qatsi

Hey man what did you use for the clear tubing around the bulbs? Plastic I guess? Do they feel very warm to touch? Also, does the plant get any air intake from the bottom that can access the plant without going through a tube to the top? (ie: a hole in the bottom without a tube attached...a normal intake). It sort of looks like it doesn't, which doesn't seem like good design to me on first look. But then I thought hmmm, maybe it would let co2 settle in the bottom or something. I dunno. Seems to work, however you've done it. :yes:

I've never used foil but I heard it's ok if you use the dull side out. But then you've got dull alfoil which doesn't seem like it would be very reflective to me.

The clear tubing are protectors for 8ft florescent bulbs. It's like $2 for an 8ft section at HDepot. It is a little warm to the touch but not hot enought to cause any damage to the plants. they can get touch it without any ill effects. The whole case only gets to about 90-95 deg. Which is a little warm, but I was/am going to get it a little lower when i build my airfilter/scrubber.

No, The only air is drawn around the lights.

as for the foil, I don't think that I would use it again. It was one of those highdeas that seems brilliant at the time but not so much a day or two later.

Peace

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Cool thanks for the reply. I wanna get some of that tubing. About the heat, if you get the chance, try removing the clear tube from the light you're not using, and just having it as a hole in the bottom. I think you'd be surprised. Stay high.

qatsi

Just thought that I would post an update.
I'm probably about 6 weeks into 12/12. Next time I'm gonna start writing dates and shit down. I didn't realize how important it was.

Yeah I know it is a terrible pic but it shows the how big she is.

A little closer, pretty thick all the way through.

Getting frosty. I'm excited.

So, This is my first grow and I have never witnessed trichromes changing. They should go milky then amber right? And I think that when about 1/2 get to be amber I cut her down then trim everything then hang to dry for a couple a weeks right?

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
:jawdrop:

Amazing plant, dude! So stocky! I expected it to be more like a bush. Well done.

I'm not too experienced with the trics but I think 50% amber would be if you prefer a couchlock style influence. I think it's more like 10% amber if you're not so into couchlock. But it depends on what the others are doing - clear, cloudy.

They go clear > cloudy > amber

qatsi

Day 66

Day 66

So it's been a while since I was last here but a lot has happened.
Broke my camera (bad) but got a new nicer one (good).
I am now a Medical Marijuana Patient with the blessing of the People of the State of Colorado to grow medicine.
And my wife is going apeshit because the house smells like a goddamn skunk.

Well about halfway through flowering, the smell got out of control. I was doing OK by keeping her in the basement with the windows open but it got really bad. I didn't have the time to build a real scrubber so this is what I came up with on the fly.

I bolted a pretty nice squirrel cage blower into the lid and it blows air through sacks made of bounty dryer sheets filled with carbon. It isn't ideal but it works OK. (not 100% tho) I promise I'll build a proper scrubber next round.

Here she is tonight:

and she is turning purple:

but it looks like she is dying at the same time:

So I've been waiting forever for her to finish up. I don't have a 30x loupe like I'm supposed to, So I take pics and zoom in to see what trichomes look like:

Some look like they are going amber, but most of the other buds show only milky white ones.

So it's day 66 of 12/12 and I have been patiently waiting but I am a little lost now. What should I do? I hear that if it goes too far then you get a 'couchlock' kinda of high, which I would like to avoid if I can.
I also hear that if you cut her too early then you will have a paranoid high, which doesn't sound like any fun either.

If it matters, here is the description of the seeds from the nice people in canada that sent them to me:

Pommelo (Limited)

Indoor / Greenhouse / Outdoor
The famous BC Grapefruit, twice crossed to the most pungent and highest yielding Afghanis we know of. The first cross to the California Ortega greatly improved the yield and stature, the second cross the Deep Chunk indica made the resulting seeds more uniform and added a little more classic Afghani spiciness. These seeds produce plants with large, incredibly greasy floral clusters with an intense spicy, lemon/grapefruit fuel aroma. The Yield is large (375-475g/sq m).

Indoor flowering 8+ weeks
Harvest outdoors/greenhouse mid-October.

Is she ready? Any suggestions?

Peace.

Last edited: