What's new

Phototron info?

HairyBass

I've been given a phototron. To save all of you phototron haters some time let me just say that I've read all the negative stuff and agree this is a very limiting way to grow and probably a waste of time but it was free. I intend to grow a very small amount to help me at times. The grow is in soil with K2 seeds. I already started the grow in shultz moisture plus soil mixed with 25% perlite. Plants are about 4" high. Any info about growing in these things would be helpful.

HB

G

Put a small 100w grow spot in the top and a little axial fan like computers use and you will have better luck. Ventilation is the ticket.

Tex

HairyBass

Thanks TK. I've already aranged for a 250w HPS to put in it and a couple of fans. The 250 may be too much since I live in a hot climate and no AC. Thanks for your thoughts!

HB

G

The 250 will kick as long as you can get the heat out. I assume the ballast assembly is remote mounted so you are just dealing with the bulb.

My dad has one of these and I messed with it a little a couple of months ago.

K2 is killer, one of my fav.s, she'll do good if ya top her and try and keep the hieght under 20"-24" so as not to burn the tips.

Tex

HairyBass

Damn, Tex

Your quick with posting. Yep, the ballast is remote. Time for me to sleep. NOC worker here! Thanks again Tex.

HB

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Here ya go Alex...

This is their pitch:
The Phototron™ is an automated indoor growing system.

The Phototron™ is the result of over 15 years spent studying the needs of all kinds of plants - from flowers and herbs, to fruits and vegetables. Light is the key. The Phototron™ delivers the precise amount of light and allows you to mimic the sun's photoperiods. Combine this with the best nutrients formulated for your plants, direct from Pyraponic Industries' own chemist, and you could find outdoor plants growing right in your kitchen or livingroom! Also perfect for hotel lobbies, offices and the like.

Phototron Features:

Vertical lighting system provides a light source from seed germination to plant maturity without having to make adjustments.

Self-contained with tinted reflective panels (which slide up and down) that provide an enormous amount of light output for accelerated plant growth without overpowering your living environment with excessive light or heat.

Energy Efficient, Easy to Use and Rewarding.

HairyBass

Jet, Phototrons are generally considered poor for growing MJ. I would never buy one. I just stumbled in to this and figured I'd give it a try. I'm sure I could get better results with a grow cab. Today drilled some drainage holes but because of the ballast being in the bottom. I only got four drilled out. Poor drainage, could cause problems.

HB

HairyBass

After looking at your link sleepy. Looks like I have the Phototron 7, 21" x 39" Size, 26000 Lumens.

Jet, I'm just given it a try because the oportunity came to me. Might be a big mistake. We'll see. I'm modding it also. Might improve the grow. I'm a newbie to growing.

Switched on that 250 hps and ran in to heat problems right off and turned it off for now. Ran around 98F with the 250 hps. Plus I have bright light spilling out of this thing like there is no tommorow. Too bright and hot. I'm going to install fans and paint the outside panels to cut the light coming out. I'll post a pic or two after the mods. Probably in a day or two. The plants were growing great under just the flo's. Switched to 12/12. I'm worried that I'll run out of head room quickly.

HB

P

PFCruz

Hey there hairybass, I've owned a few trons over the years. I would start my plants in small containers stepping up to 2liter soda bottles cut down with drain holes in the bottoms. I would remove the excess drain water with a turkey baster. If your not going to use the floro lights the ballast can be removed easily . There are some screws at the base of the sliding doors,remove those and the base should come off . Good luck and learn to train your little bitches in your tron. :joint: Just read your last post ,I painted the inside white for better reflection it blocked a lot of light , but to flower i still slid the tron into a closet. Be careful with your hid 250 they are hot for plastic. Good luck h b. :joint:

HairyBass

Thanks PFCruz. Great tip! You just gave me an option I hadn't considered. Good info that may become critical later. I'm gonna stay the course for now but you gave some great options.

HB

HairyBass

Here are those pics I promissed. The first one shows the 250 HPS mounted in the top of the tron. Second one shows the top of the tron, two 90 mm exhaust fans and blacked out panels. The third is of my babies at three and a half weeks. With the HPS and Flo's on, the fans have dropped the temp to 84F with an outside temp of 79F. I should be able to drop that outside temp by getting cooler air in to that closet.

HB

[/IMG]

5349Fans-thumb.JPG
[/url]
[/IMG]

HairyBass

Still Trying

Still Trying

Well, three of four of my k2's turned male. The last has not showed it's sex yet. I'm assuming it's female. Cut down the males and I'm now training the last plant by bending. Hopefully a female. In the following picks you can see that I have bent it towards the middle of the tron. Peace.

HB

nycnoob

man.. you know I have always thought the phototrons were small.. i see by the measurements they arent really..looks great hairy

Latest posts

Latest posts