What's new

U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk to push tougher sentences for more-potent marijuana

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-kirk-marijuanajun15,0,4381974.story

"U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk will call for legislation Monday that would toughen drug-trafficking laws regarding a highly potent form of marijuana, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison for a first-time offense.

The law would target offenders who sell or distribute marijuana that has a THC content exceeding 15 percent, which is between 5 and 10 percentage points higher than average marijuana, according to Kirk's office.

THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main active ingredient in marijuana.

Drug dealers are increasingly cross-breeding plants to produce high-potency variants of marijuana, which are called "kush" in street slang when they have 20 percent THC, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curransaid.

Police have been turning up more of the high-potency marijuana in Lake County arrests, he said.

"When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system," said Curran, who supports the legislation, which would amend a federal law. "They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It's not a good idea to have people that messed up."

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has reported that kush sells for as high as $600 per ounce, creating the same profit potential as crack cocaine, Kirk said.

The Republican North Shore lawmaker said he plans to release more information during a news conference in Chicago on Monday, where he will be joined by representatives from the Lake County Sheriff's Department, the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group and Waukegan Police Department."

This smacks of the UK's get-tough stance on cannabis because of the supposedly ultra-potent 'skunk'. I'm ashamed to be from Illinois....

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
[QUOTE/]"When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system,"[/QUOTE]
Can't believe I'm reading this. This clown doesn't belong in politics...

B

bagseed77

The law would target offenders who sell or distribute marijuana that has a THC content exceeding 15 percent, which is between 5 and 10 percentage points higher than average marijuana

hahah who the fuck smokes average weed, you can get average coke, or get the fire , this is fucking stupid

Ribsauce

this is so ridiculous and im with ya randude101 bring on that electric chair shit im ready

ohhh and yea i love that cause "kush' can cost as much as "600 an ounce" its now as harmful as crack cocaine... haha wow just wow and i dont mess with crack but if i could get ounces of it for 600 i might have to reconsider hahahaha

D

Denial N Error

This guy is a fucking jackass. Just google and look at all the other shit he's done. He rode bushs nutsack for years..

Plain and simple, this guy is a piece of shit.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Another Republican looking to help our cause I see! What a joke! Thats like saying since you sold the rocket launcher your sentence is 10 years and the guys who sold the suicide bomber vest only gets 1 year! Even if it wasnt weed and they werent trying to pass MMJ laws in Ill. it would be corny! Where are all the anti Obama cats and the psuedo-repubs on this? Oh wait, they are still in the other thread trying to convince us that Obama is bad for our cause and that the Republicans are the only ones who are gonna make it better for pot!!!!!

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Republicans are IDIOTS, every one of them.

I didn't need any more proof, but there it is.
Yeah, lets see how much bipartisan support he gets. The truth is they are all pretty much idiots.

I would be interested in knowing if this guy is at all beholden to the private prison system contractors, or whoever the people who make money off tough enforcement are.

afroman25

Theres no way they can distinguish what's Kush to whats not Kush. This Bill is such BS. Mark Kirk is the biggest Douchbag he does shit like propose these absurd bills just to keep his name in the media

B

bagseed77

DA says your honor , it seems the kush turns out to be haze , we move to dissmiss the charges , its only average weed , turn this wanna be loose :joint:

Theres no way they can distinguish what's Kush to whats not Kush. This Bill is such BS. Mark Kirk is the biggest Douchbag he does shit like propose these absurd bills just to keep his name in the media

trouble

Veteran
"U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk will call for legislation Monday that would toughen drug-trafficking laws regarding a highly potent form of marijuana, with penalties of up to 25 years in prison for a first-time offense.

I'm ashamed to be from Illinois....

Mark Kirk has little to no respect from his colleagues, and I don't believe his peers take him very seriously. Isn't he the moron that suggested sending free condom's to Mexico as a solution to the US immigration problem? lol!

No offense to you Bababooey, however, you good people of Illinois certainly put more than your share of crooks & nutjobs into high office.

L

luaith

this is freakin stupid...this mark kirk guy is a total douche..

"When you amplify the strength of it, you are increasing the harm to the system"
what harm?what system..?
"They are more dangerous behind the wheel of a vehicle. It's not a good idea to have people that messed up."
i guess getting drunk and driving is ok though....

waukegan,the toilet bowl of lake county...

UpperEchelon

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has reported that kush sells for as high as $600 per ounce, creating the same profit potential as crack cocaine, Kirk said.

This statement alone shows you what their main concern is. Profit margins.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Lolol. Once it reaches 20% THC it's called "Kush"...

And once a reefer-addict knows "What's up" he has the opportunity to climb to the top of the ranks and be "one of those 'cool' guys"...

All these kids riding dirty these days...

CoonLover

i wouldn't be tripp'n, all that the *midwest is slinging is dirt and commercial brick. Safe harbor for those cats.

*I am not serious, I know there is dank. It's a generalized comment about the shitty weed in the midwest. So don't get your panties in a bunch