What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sero´s south american organic outdoors veggie garden fall/winter 2009

sero!

Hi people!

i´m new in this forum, so i´ll introduce myself: my name is sero, i´m 30 years old and been growin´ veggies outdoor for a few years now. I live in the south of south america (as i also grow weed and growin´ is still illegal here i prefer not to state from which country i am, but im in the south of the continent) in a small house with a great garden, where I can grow ornamentals and my food crops. Winter is almost here, so my garden isn´t in his best moment, been having some problems with birds eating the seedlings of spinachs and letucces I´d transplant a month ago, so by the moment it looks like this:

general view:

picture.php

broccolis seedlings in the front, chicory in the back

picture.php

broccolis

picture.php

carrots

picture.php

recently chopped chard

picture.php

red cabbage

picture.php

red peppers

picture.php

red peppers

picture.php

lettuce seedling

picture.php

¨greenhouse effect¨

picture.php

beet

picture.php

some herbs: rosemary, thyme, chive

picture.php

spinach seedlings

picture.php

my seed starter

picture.php

my compost pile

picture.php

hope you´ve enjoyed it!

sero

pd: excuse me if my english is not very good, my first language is spanish :pointlaug

Last edited:
H

headfortrinity

Your gardens looking good Sero, birds are a big problem here too and snails are the worst. They'll eat seedlings to the ground. My uncle lost a whole crop of eggplants to birds this year. Good luck with your cabinet grow too It looks very promising.

headfortrinity

Bon.G.Loder

Sweet Veggie garden Sero! I'm prepping my backyard little by little for a similar project. My soil here unfortunately is really sandy. One way or another I'll transform it or circumventit all.

Bon.G.Loder

sero!

headfortrinity: thank you! I´ve lost plenty of things due to those bastards, and still wonder what to do about it! do you have any idea? do you know if scarecrows work? thinking seriously about building one...

Bong: thank you! for some crops a sandy soil could be a blessing (unless is toooo sandy), carrots for example love it. add organic matter (compost, manures, etc) this helps a lot fixing the structure of the soil.

blan-k-flor: gracias blank!

for the time being i´ll only eat those veggies, wont grow anything else as by august theres must be nothing there so I can amend to prepare the soil for the spring grow. See you guys!

H

headfortrinity

headfortrinity: thank you! I´ve lost plenty of things due to those bastards, and still wonder what to do about it! do you have any idea? do you know if scarecrows work? thinking seriously about building one...

A scarecrow might work, I just use a pellet gun.

sero!

hello people!

weather isgetting colder and colder here, and my broccolis are flowering! :woohoo:

picture.php

picture.php

the chard i chopped last time, ready fot the knife again:

picture.php

and the next generation:

picture.php

the young broccolis are looking great, an spinach there also:

picture.php

and my young spinachs are rockin´!

picture.php

hope you´ve enjoyed the pics, thanks for stopping by and take a look at my garden!

H

headfortrinity

nice vegetables sero, i've never had success with broccoli where I live.

sero!

thank you for the nice words guys and girls!

yesterday I took some pics while i was working on the soil of the first raised bed, broccolis are getting bigger!

picture.php

picture.php

this one is in which i was working, added some compost and prepared the soil for this spring. Here i´ll be growing corn, pumpkins and beans, and there will be a new thread documenting this next season grow when the action begins...

picture.php

picture.php

H

headfortrinity

what specific problems do you had with them? maybe we can help. broccolis are soooo tasty that it worth growin them!

It gets very hot here and the heat makes them stretch too much.

sero!

It gets very hot here and the heat makes them stretch too much.

those ones in the pictures were started at the end of the summer (march, here) and transplanted 40 days later, when autumn arrrived. Try this way next time, broccolis and the rest of the family (cauliflowers, cabbage) don´t like hot weather, in fact they love the cold, and presume they can even manage some snow, although it doesn´t here, this winter was very cold and some mornings all my garden was white and frosty like we like our buds :nanana:, but the broccolis and cabbage were not hurt.

H

headfortrinity

those ones in the pictures were started at the end of the summer (march, here) and transplanted 40 days later, when autumn arrrived. Try this way next time, broccolis and the rest of the family (cauliflowers, cabbage) don´t like hot weather, in fact they love the cold, and presume they can even manage some snow, although it doesn´t here, this winter was very cold and some mornings all my garden was white and frosty like we like our buds :nanana:, but the broccolis and cabbage were not hurt.

That makes sense, I'll try planting some this fall.

sero!

today i harvested the carrots that were left, spring is near and I need to prepare an amend that bed for a massive eggplant grow that´s gonna take place there...

picture.php

picture.php